feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

Landungsklatscher

In-Game name: Landungsklatscher (has also been my name in the formerly version of Dominion from Goko)

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
Probably the most important feature for me as I do play against Bots quite often

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
highly welcome

3. A strong bot.
highly welcome

4. Options for timed games
don't care

5. Options for undo settings
welcome

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
would be interesting, but no pressure with this feature

7. Option to invite specific players to your table
don't care

8. More translations (to what language?)
don't care

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...
Yes, I agree... the current implementation (reading logfile) seems to have room for improvements

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
I agree

10. Option to hide the log
I agree

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
Yes, please (with the ability to play offline, without data consumption)

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
don't care

13. Downloadable game logs
don't care

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)
don't care

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
don't care

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.
don't care

Frenziedhavoc

First off, thank you for the work you've done. I really enjoy what you've made here.

Username: FrenziedHavoc

The biggest thing on my wishlist is a better way to review the game after it's over. Continueing to show the game log would be a good first step. Next would be to show the final state of the game e.g. which cards are in my deck vs discard vs set aside.I love to review the game and see where I could have made better decisions throughout the game. Eventually I would love to be able to replay the very same game from a critical turn and see how I could improve.

1. I love the campaign on MF and would love to have one.
2. I'd love to be able to practice against different strategies/play styles.
3. Definitely want a stronger bot, but keep the rat for newer players.
4. Timed games is not something I would use very often.
5. Undo setting are fine for me right now.
6. I would not do tournaments personally.
7. I would also love to have private or friends only tables
8. As a Mandarin speaker I would love to play in Mandarin.
9. Animations are fine for me.
10. I would really like to also know how many of each card is left in a split pile (for Ambassador games etc.)
10b? I'm fine with the log and would probably keep in on anyway.
11. Not a priority for me.
12. Also not a priority for me.
13. I like this it goes along what I would like for end of game logs.
14. Not an issue for me.
15. I would love this.
16. Also love this.

Again, thank you for all you've done.

fordsb1

Hi Steph. My log in name is fordsb1  I'm an old guy who enjoyed the old version of Dominion with the campaigns.  I would like to extend my free subscription.  I tried to reply to get it yesterday but it didn't seem to work.  I'm not a computer proficient person. So I hope this works.  In fact I didn't even understand some of the questions.  I liked to play against the computer and loved the challenge of the campaigns.  I'll just put NA for the things I can't comment on. 

I think this would be really fun.

If by play styles, you mean ability levels I think that would be great.

3. A strong bot.
NA

NA

I would like this.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
NA

NA

NA

The current format is fine by me.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets,
Sure would help. ...

Sure

NA

I would like to play on my ipad.

If this would help me learn the game better, I'd really like it.

NA

If this would help me learn the game better, I'd really like it.

Absolutely.  I'm sure there are features that I don't know about.  I'd love to learn more.   

FreddaFromBelow

I liked the campaign on the old MP site. But it does not need to be offline.

I don't play against bots that much, but I suppose different diffucult levels would be useful for the campaign mode.

3. A strong bot.
No need for me. I prefer playing against humans

Time limit would be useful when playing and being in a hurry. You need to include sound notifications when time is about to run out.

Sure. Sometimes you want to back your entire hand, some time just one move.

Yes, if they are fast and smooth to join and finish.

Yes. I want to search for a username or from my friend list and send invites.

My native language is swedish, but english is fine.

No need

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
I don't have concrete idea but sometimes it would be smoother with cards as buttons than checking the log for everything.

I have problem when playing on my Samsung Tab to switch between the log and view the trash. And to write in the log without the game showing me the keyboard the following clicks. If a hide function can optimate for mobile devices this would be useful.

Yes! I play frequently on my Samsung tabs browser and it is not optimized. A small mobile device is almost impossible to play on today. I would pay for a app.

No need for me

Nice to have but no big need.

Players I've met is usually nice.

I know how to play Dominion. :) But you could make easy campaign modes to learn new players and introduce new cards.

No need, just make an easy interface and there is no need for a tutorial.

My username: FreddaFromBelow

lucisimo

Thanks for the thought.
I am one of the users that purchased MF's Dominion. My free 2017 ended and I've already bought a Gold Subscription. My username is lucisimo.

At first I was a little confused with this new online version of Dominion, so different from MF's one, but now I got used to it and I can say I like it better, especially thanks to new features (e.g. the possibility to reconnect to the same game in case of connection troubles) and to the continous improvements.

As for your wish list:

I would like it so much. I really enjoyed the campaigns of the MF's version, because they let me know all the cards and it improved my way of playing.

It would be useful to learn new strategies.

3. A strong bot.
Even if many human players can be found at every time, I wouldn't dislike a smarter bot.

Why not? Many times I play in the office during my (short) lunch break, and sometimes I meet very slow opponents and I would like them to be quicker...

Not really needed.

Good idea, I would like it very much.

It could be useful, most of times I play with the same friends I play the "real" Dominion card game at home...

I have no problems with English, but I'm Italian e I would appreciate an Italian translation... but it isn't a priority.

I would like better card animations not from an aesthetic point of view, but because sometimes animations are too fast and it's difficult to understand what happened without reading the log.

It would be desirable, sometimes they are not so clear to view.

The log doesn't bother me, otherwise I think it's very useful. I take this opportunity to signal that sometimes the log doesn't scroll automatically, but goes back to the first line (especially after an "undo").

That would be great!!! I would surely appreciate improved compatibility, but a proper app would be great!

I am not an iPhone user, but I think what I said for Android is also good for iPhone.

I don't need such a feature.

I never had many problems, exception made for a few slow players... but nothing really important. The option to make opponents resign after a few minutes surely helps.

It could be useful for new players, to learn how to play Dominion, but also for experienced players to review the rules.

I would like it, to fully understand all the features of Dominion online.

Nyarpy

Hi, user name Nyarpy.

Features I'd really like to see:
3. A strong bot.
11. Android app (particularly in the Amazon store for Kindle Fire)

marwar

Hi, here is marwar.

I purchased this way back when it was in the humble bundle and later MF.

For me the items 6 & 7 from your list are the most interesting. Usually I come here to play with friends. Private tables or invitations would be really great.

nelimama

My username is nelimama, and I appreciate this opportunity to offer feedback for a chance to use my expansions for a longer period of time. Thank you! So here is the feedback:

Yes, please!

Good idea.

3. A strong bot
Good idea.

Not needed for me.

Sometimes I click on the wrong card so an undo setting that doesn't require approval would be nice. Can you do a setting where an undo doesn't require approval as long as it doesn't allow people to cheat like seeing the top card.

Great idea!

A great idea! (I don't know for sure that I'd use it, but if it was available, I just might.)

Polish would be nice, but i can still play without it.

I would like to actually see (clearly) what other players (including bots) purchase or gain, not just learn from reading the log.

Yes, please! Sometimes, because of space, you will have to click or right click to be able to see piles, but it would be great to have at least a tiny version showing of certain things (Prince cards, for example) which you can click to enlarge when you need to see it better.

10. [Second #10] Option to hide the log
I think this is a great idea. I would use it.

Android App!!! I loved the MF Android App, and I am still waiting for it here!

Not needed for me.

Personally, I would not download game logs.

Not sure if I need it.

Not needed for me.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online
Might be useful, but very low priority.

Ken Zapanta

Ken Zapanta is my user name.
I log in to play Dominion (in its two owners) when I have a few minutes to chill or waste.  I don't have the time to stay on for hours and chat and wait for online players bad sportsmanship. 
I play bots.  That's what I use the site for and it is fun. I hope the offline (bot) does get finalized.  I will definitely use it and if the bots can have different styles and levels that would be great, tied to a long term goal.
I bought and rolled fwd the full set at the time.
The current pricing for sets does not motivate me to buy.  If it was better priced or lower priced for offline, then I would purchase.
Cheers

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots  YES, YES YES
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles  YES, GREAT IDEA
3. A strong bot. YES
4. Options for timed games THAT WOULD ACTUALLY MAKE ME PLAY ONLINE WITH OTHER USERS.  I DIDN'T LIKE PLAYERS HAVING BAD SPORTSMANSHIP WHEN THEY ARE LOOSING AND JUST WASTING EVERY OTHER PLAYERS TIME WITH STALLING!!
5. Options for undo settings.  FOR LEARNING MODE YES.  AGAINST BOTS, I LIKE THE CURRENT ALLOWANCE (UNDO PURCHASE IMMEDIATELY DUE TO INCORRECT PUSH OF A BUTTON), ONLINE, HUMM... I THINK BEFORE THE NEXT ACTION HAS BEEN DONE OR PLAYER
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.  I WOULD PARCIPATE IF THE MODERATION OF UNSPORSTMANLIKE PLAYERS ARE BETTER CONTROLLED
7. Option to invite specific players to your table YES
8. More translations (to what language?)  MINE IS REPRESENTED SO NO NEED FOR ME
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...  NOT A NECESSITY FOR ME
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...  YES
10. Option to hide the log  ISNT THERE ONE ALREADY, OR MINIMIZED?
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) YES, YES YES
13. Downloadable game logs  NO NEED
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)  YES, YES YES, THAT IS WHAT MAKES ME NOT PLAY ONLINE.  PERIOD
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion  THAT WOULD HELP GROW THE GAME ONLINE AND OFFLINE.  AN EASY GO TO LINK.
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.  YES

phlip

I bought the subscription a while back when it was a 1-time deal and have enjoyed it. Not sure I want to make the game an ongoing annual expense though. However playing just the base set the last couple of weeks is getting a bit boring

Yeah I'd probably play that. Especially as a way to learn new cards
Ability to set bot dificulty? yes
3. A strong bot.
See #2. Ok as an option
to limit game length? I don't know. Length often depends on the cards in the mix. Wouldn't want an opponent manipulating the game based on the amount of time left.
yes! Its a game, people. Allowing me to undo a mistake will not cost you a trophy or cash prize! As long as it isn't that you just saw your next cards and want to change your mind.
no
yes
no
no, but faster animation would be nice. Not just animation yes or no
don't have an opinion
not for me
yes
yes
no
ability to set undo settings. I haven't run into very many people that were abusive or slow on purpose
yes especially demos on new cards or set specific cards up in a bot game
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.[/b]
no

phlip

jefeconcarne

Hi, Steph. I am a huge fan of Dominion, and one of those that purchased everything with the hopes of "owning" it forever. With a few friends, I play one to three games at lunch 3-4 times a week.

I am hoping to get the extension in exchange for comments.

Username: jefeconcarne

Thanks for all of your work.

------

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
I would like an offline client. I used to use the ipad version quite a bit as a stand-alone app. The web client doesn't work as well on the ipad and playing when I don't have a connection. A stand alone app would be preferred. I would play more if there were an easy-to-access offline version that I could play in about 15 minutes.

I do like the idea of bots with different play styles. I have another app that has three styles of play for the AI opponents and I really like being able to choose the style of play of my opponent and set up card decks accordingly.

3. A strong bot.
A strong bot is important. Play against bots becomes less fun without a strong bot (or at least a bot that can beat me regularly).

LOVE this idea. We have implemented this occasionally on our own but it is harder to manage when not everyone can see the clock. Would like the time remaining to be readily visible and the game ends when the timer ends. Many times we (at lunch) only have a small amount of time available and would like the ability to set different times and play for that time. Also, would like to see a version that allows a time to be set for each player's play time to offer another way to play quick games (for example, I could set the time to 15 secs for everyone's play time and you turn ends after 15 seconds even if you didn't accomplish everything you could have with unlimited time (plus doesn't allow people to read through the log and just play with quick decisions).

The only setting I ever have trouble with is the show vp counter (we prefer to play with it off) toggle. In fact, I would prefer custom default settings by profile--that way I have all my settings the way I prefer for a game and only have to change it on the few times we want to vary something. The toggles don't save and I would love that.

Also, I used to be able to easily save and load custom play decks. We always seem to have to waste time that we could be playing to set the cards for each game. It would be great if I could have up to 50 decks already saved and ready to play with just a click.

This one would be awesome. We are currently keeping score on a whiteboard for our mini office tournament as we don't have any other option. Would love leaderboards that kept data like an ongoing cumulative score and points differential in addition to overall rank.

HUGE. Almost always we have difficulty managing a private table. If there are 4 or 5 of us playing, we want to create a private game and not have to worry about others taking slots and just have a game amongst friends.

Language option is fine for me as is.

This is maybe a nice to have. Not as important as private games and saved decks. The current animations work great. Would like to move some of the commands out of the log and into the play selection area (like topdeck). Seems like it should be a big button (sometimes it's a large learning curve for newer players to find some of the commands that seem to just be part of the log.

Like this idea. I can't always remember what's under a split pile--in fact would like an easier way to see all cards in a large, easy-to-read format of every card in the current game, including things like spoils, boons, etc. Just so everyone can easily see what options may be in play in a quick format (most likely a button or toggle that shows large card images of everything that scrolls through all potential cards.

Not important--just maybe move the commands that located in the log if there's this option. Like the log visible to make sure I know what happened on a turn. We generally discourage digging through the log and slowing down game play. But the log is helpful to see what happened for a complete turn, especially as things like spoils shoot into your discard pile and may be missed.

Just IOS for me. And would really like one. Used the previously one extensively.

Iphone/ipad app is much better than trying to use the browser for the real estate allotted. Apps are smoother and faster. Plus in adds in the offline option for people like me that wouldn't have online access on my ipad. Apps are also designed specifically for screen size which would improve game play.

Not interested. Though would be interested in a printable version of the end game screen so that it's easier to print and post on my coworker's whiteboard when I win decisively. Plus, good fun.

Generally, I play online with friends so this one isn't an issue.

Like this idea for bringing on new players--otherwise it takes multiple games to bring him/her up to speed. But this is a lesser priority than improved game play.

Same as above.

darthspe

This could be fun although its not really the reason I play Dominion.
This could be fun to see how others may play the same hand.
3. A strong bot.
This is worth it if more tournaments are going to be held.
Perhaps timed hands.  This would reduce slowplay/forced resigns.
I don't know if you need more options other than asking for an undo.  Perhaps undo number of moves in case you need a multiple.
Love the idea of mini-tournaments.  The large tournament was fun!
This would be great.  If you have people you know you have played with that will play multiple games, this would be helpful.  It would also stop having to play random players who may not actually be at the table.
N/A
I think is working fine at the moment.
The ability to see the split piles better would be great.  It is hard to remember them all if you don't play them consistently.
n/a
n/a
I would love an IOI app.  Would be great to play on a phone when you have some downtime.
n/a
Slow players/no shows certainly could be improved.  It feels like forever waiting to make someone resign.
n/a for me, although it may help attract more players.
Seems pretty self-explanatory if you know how to play the game.

I think it would be great to be able to add new decks cheaply if you have a subscriptions.  I had like 3-4 months left on current subscription and didn't way to pay the full amount for new cards.  Option to add one deck would be great.

TehLemur

Username: TehLemur

The game is already much improved on how it looked at launch, so thanks for all of your hard work! Also, thanks for the offer of an extended six months' worth of subscription, which is much appreciated.

The things I'd like to see fixed or added most urgently are (in order of priority): -

1. User Interface - Just needs to be more coherent overall. Buttons should always be in the same area of the screen, and behave the same way. No need to ever click anything in the log to perform an action. The log should be an entirely optional interface element. No information should ever be hidden from the player (your "better visualisation of split piles" suggestion falls under this category). Selecting a default option when there's only one thing to choose from should be both optional and turned off by default - this is one of the most confusing aspects of the UI, as it's often hard to work out what just happened.

2. Logs - The option to quickly and easily view all games I've ever played, and click through to the full log of each game. The ability to bulk download these logs, or have access to an API to get at the data.

3. Better usage of large screens - As larger resolutions like 2560×1440 and 3840×2160 become more common, it would be great if the game was responsive to having this amount of space to work with. I'm playing on a 4K monitor, and there's plenty of room to show extended info for all players (duration cards, mat contents and so on), plus loads of space for both the trash pile and the log side-by-side. Instead, the interface makes no use of the extra real estate, and some aspects barely work at all at larger sizes - some cards becoming massive while others remain tiny, and some text getting cut off or overlapping its bounds.

4. Android compatibility - It would be very nice to have a way of playing on my phone. If possible, I'd rather see this achieved through better compatibility of the current version, rather than introducing an app - both from a consistency perspective, and to avoid you guys having to duplicate work needlessly.

5. Improved moderation - It would be nice if the "blacklist" and "report" buttons were separated, and if "report" allowed you to specify a reason. Sometimes I want to blacklist someone just because I don't like them and don't want the unpleasantness of playing them again, but I don't think they deserve banning. Other times I think someone needs to be reported for the sake of the community, but not necessarily due to slow-playing. Also, it would be great to get some automated feedback over whether bothering to report someone has actually resulted in any action being taken against them.

6. Force resigning delay - The ability to customise how long the delay is before the "make opponent resign" option appears. At the moment it's way too long. But I can see why some players wouldn't want it globally reduced without an option to change it.

7. Tutorials - For new players, add a huge unmissable pop-up the first time you launch the game saying "right-click cards or log text for more information". This would go a long way in lieu of full tutorials.

The things which I think would be nice to have, but which are much less important to me than the above essentials are (again, in order of priority): -

1. Card sets - The ability to save sets of cards for later play - particularly saving the set just played after a game (or during?) and having a quick and easy way of selecting one of these sets before starting a game.

2. Tournaments - Could be a lot of fun, especially if a community developed around them. They would be a great way to promote the game to a wider audience. Ideally, the feature would support playing the tournament out over an extended period of time if required, so that tournaments were still viable even if you couldn't get all the players online together at the same time.

3. Timed games - Could be fun, and should be quick & easy to add. I'm not sure how this would work with the vastly different turn lengths inherent in different sets of cards though?

4. Offline client - Would be occasionally useful, but mainly only if it worked on Android phones too. Also, it would be much preferable if it was essentially the same version of the game, just modified to run without an internet connection.

5. Campaigns - MF's campaigns were a lovely idea, but horrifically badly designed and written. If campaigns were done well, with an interesting storyline combined with really well-tailored kingdoms and custom rules, it could be a fantastic feature and a great way of attracting new users to the game. I have a million ideas for cool things that could be done with them, and I'd kill for the opportunity to design it.

6. Tutorials (part 2) - It would be great to direct new players to the site without having to worry that they won't pick up the interface. Even better if the site could teach them the essentials of playing Dominion entirely from scratch (though that's a pretty ambitious aim). As others have pointed out, this aim combines well with the "campaigns" idea above, as the basic tutorial would be best implemented as a beginner's campaign.

gloures

Hello Stef! First I would like to say that I really enjoy the client and thank you for all your hard work! Now for the feedback!  :)

I would definitely get this if available, but I don't really miss it at all actually. MF Campaigns were a good timekiller for when I wanted to play without focusing.

3. A strong bot.

I think a strong bot would be great, but I don't know how feasible that is. As long as it doesn't lock itself out of the game frequently and it's capable of playing somewhat decently something other than BM+X I would be really satisfied. For different play styles I do think that some form of BM+X bot would be great and doesn't sound too hard to implement, but not really necessary either. If you do succeed in making a good bot, I think that making an easier one would be important.

I think I'm gonna go against the majority here, but I wouldn't really like to have timed games, or at least timed games as an option for random rated matchmaking, I feel liked it might create an unwanted division in the player base and I wouldn't really want for timed to be the standard option unless the clock would be really relaxed in a way that would almost never press you if you aren't slowplaying. That said if online mini-tournaments get implemented I think that it might be a good option for those.

I think that having two options for always grant no information undos and never grant new information undos would be good if isn't something too hard to implement. My main reasoning for wanting this though, is that i think they should be visible settings to the opponent which would avoid a lot of awkward scenarios like a player whose policy is no new info undos having to deny undos, which may cause some anger, and sometimes asking for very reasonable no information undos can be weird, specially in the endgame.

I can see this being a great idea.

I think the current system is fine, but something that helps not having to kick so many people from your table before a match would be good.

Even though English works just fine for me, I feel like having a Portuguese translation would be great to expand the community over here in Brazil. Luckily I know one is being worked on and shouldn't take very long to finish.

Now, this was probably the one thing that took most time to adapt with the new client, but now I would say I'm perfectly adjusted to the lack/minimal animations. That said, this was one of the biggest issues my girlfriend had when saw the new client, and while there was some time already since she had been playing frequently on MF, she ended up never returning to play again.

This is pretty important, having full information of everything that should be known is essential.

Also something that bothered me at first, but that I don't mind anymore. But I do think the game should be playable with a hidden log.

If available I would probably download on an Ipad, but I don't really need it. Might be great for expanding the playerbase.

This is the single most important thing that I really miss. Logs were great for studying games and frequently more practical than loading a saved game. Allowing external sites to gather more statistics would be really cool and I feel like it would be good to non paying users to be able to have some form of accessing logs (of games played with expansions) without having to ask a paying user 

I have almost never run into any trouble with this, but I find that having a report player button separate from the blacklist one, and a mute chat option would both be good.

Not sure if this is really necessary, maybe a link to the rules on RGG website would be enough.

I think some way to explain some of the more hidden functions of the client like /undo would be great.

Now I'll make a short consideration that I find specially valid for items 8-12, is that I feel that gathering opinions here might create a really biased feedback, since the people over here have mostly been playing on the client for over one year, so that these might not be issues for them anymore, or they are ones who are unaffected by them, but I'm pretty sure that they are very big issues for a lot of people that might have not stuck around when the client changed and also for many possible newcomers.

And closing I will just make one more suggestion, which I know that probably won't be used by most of the playerbase, but I would really love to have, and well... If it isn't too hard to implement one can dream right? That would be an option to reset random seeds when loading an saved game. I often find myself wishing I could do this in situations where I want to see if an decision I made worked/didn't mostly due to luck issues or because it was an actual strong/weak play. Getting this information from analyzing game state is frequently very hard, and playing over a couple of times in the same scenario but with different random seeds would be great. 

Thanks again for all the hard work!

johnjjjackson

Yes, please bring this back!
Something I really want. Sick of bots all going for the quick win . . . all behaving the same way.
3. A strong bot.
Just give us the option to set how a bot will play. Put a strong option in for a bot, that way we can play two bots with that option.
Interesting, I'd actually like to see this option.
This is fine the way it is.
Love this idea, but you need to make it so we can set up games and or tournaments without any user just jumping in to the game. Private tables that only friends can see.
Absolutely, see above answer.
N/A
Not a priority, more sound would be better.
Yes, we need to see the split piles. Right click to show both.
n/a
n/a
Yes, yes, yes. Make the app!
n/a
We play with our own group of friends so we will tell them to their face that they are being slow.
n/a
n/a

Please make the ability to save decks and settings. It's so hard to get a game going quickly when we have to remember the cards we like to play with and build the deck each time.

Some cards appear to have gone missing like the "Adventurer" and why can't we play "Stash"?

End of Game options: Colonies AND Provinces need to run out, 5 supply piles need to run out, etc.

Thanks!

John Jackson