feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

Technicolor Panda

Username: TechnicolorPanda

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots

I would like to play offline. My issue with the MF version was that the app was quite large thus requiring me to make some decisions about which apps to keep on my tablet. If the app was overly large I likely would not download it.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles

Currently I find the bot predictable and fairly easy to beat. Different playing styles would be more challenging.

3. A strong bot.

This would be a welcome challenge.

4. Options for timed games

My biggest issue is with people who quit when they are losing or with people who inadvertently get logged off. 5 minutes is a long time to wait in those situations. Otherwise I seldom have difficulty with overly slow players. I do not think I would use a timed option.

5. Options for undo settings

I generally allow all undos. It would probably be better for the game to automatically deny undo requests when the opponent has gained additional information in the move.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

This sounds fun. I might use this.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table

It sounds fun but not critical.

8. More translations (to what language?)

Not necessary for me.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...

Fun but not critical.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

Yes. I often find myself guessing or having to explain the splits to my opponents.

10. Option to hide the log

Yes, to expand the size of the playing area. One of my biggest problems with this version is that for some playing options you must click the bottom of the log. This is not intuitive and often leads me to scroll down the entire log if it has not automatically been scrolling.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)

Yes, if it is not overly large.

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

Yes, if it is not overly large.

13. Downloadable game logs

Yes, to help myself learn by being able to Review the game. After the game is over it would be great to see what was in my opponent's hand as well.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

Generally things are working fine now. I just block them and go on my way.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion

I am not sure. I already knew how when I started using this version.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

Yes, unless some of the functions are made more intuitive.

Jean-Michel

Hi, I'm mostly quite happy with the client as it is now. I'd like if it was easier to see what opponent did during their turn. Maybe the client could show a short summary of opponent's last turn somewhere? Like what cards they gained and trashed on their turn for example.

I would probably use this when traveling by train or by plane so this would be nice.

Most likely wouldn't use this.

3. A strong bot.
As you already said, this is pretty much required for the offline client to happen. Improving the AI would be great.

I don't see myself using this.

I would like some sort of options for automatic undo.

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
I wouldn't use this.

This would be very useful.

Not needed

This would be great, especially if it helps following what my opponent is doing.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
I would like to see this improved but it's not high on my priority list.

I'm not sure about this. I guess I would do this if following opponent's turns was easier.

Yes, I'd like this.

Not useful for me.

Not important for me.

Haven't had any significant trouble with this.

Won't need this.

I won't need this either, though I imagine having some sort of tutorial would make Dominion online more attractive to newcomers, and having more players would mean slower matchmaking times, so I guess this could benefit others as well.

Jean-Michel

SamForest

This is absolutely something I would use. I enjoyed the campaign on the old client.

Different playstyles are always fun.

3. A strong bot.

This is certainly something I would like to see.

I would prefer every game has a timer (eg, Hearthstone) for each turn which gets shorter if you use up your whole turn. The timer could potentially increase for each card you play, since some colossal turns are possible.

I like the idea to automatically allow undos as long as the player has not gained information. In fact, I think a player should be allowed to freely move between segments of a turn involving no player interaction or additional information without the option for the opponent to interfere.

I don't play online with friends ( see below); however, I would enjoy mini reddit-sponsored tournaments.

This is important - I would begin playing with friends if this was available.

I only speak English.

This would be a nice QoL improvement.

This would be a fantastic improvement.

The option would be nice, though I anticipate not using it.

I would love a mobile app, I would use it all the time.

I would love a mobile app, I would use it all the time.

I doubt I would use this, but it sounds easy enough to implement. It might be nice to review a replay given a log, however. I would absolutely watch replays of high level matches.

Block seems to be working ok but if the playerbase grows moderation should as well.

This would be good to bring in new players, which would make the service more entertaining.

Similar to 15.

Sevan

Definitely a function I would use - especially when the internet connection isn't great.
Would help keep it interesting.
3. A strong bot.
Definitely.
Yes please.
Only when the undo doesn't allow for an advantage such as seeing the next card.
I don't have any views on this one.
Yes.
N/A
I think the current play works well.
Same again.
Yes, I think this would be nice.
Yes.
N/A
Not something I'd use.
I haven't used this before.
N/A
N/A

Silverfinger

I don't like to play campaigns, but still would like to play offline. But this would be rarely → so not very important for me.

I would like that very much → high priority

3. A strong bot.
I miss that a lot → very high priority

Would be a nice. But i wouldn't use that often → not important

If you could ask for undo to specific steps in the log, probably i would use that, but i don't need. → not important

Because not many of my friends play dominion, i don't need that. Otherwise → nice idea

I had a break and just switched back to dominion online (and i like it! Good job so far! Thank you) after nearly a year. That's why i play only with two friends, here i have no problem. We'll always find each other (but i don't really unterstand how :)
If there were more friends, i really would use that → important

→ My English is not that good, but i understand everything. But it's great for my son, that there is a german translation.

Yes, sometimes animations happen to fast for me, to really identify, what happend

→ very important

with better animations and visualization → i would enjoy, but not neccessary for me

I only play on my Notebook so far → i don't know...

No use for me.

I don't think, i will play that seriously, but perhaps it will happen → not unimportant, but not necessary

Didn't look for that any time. → unimportant

For new players helpful, not for me.

Perhaps, if could find certain situations or questions in a fast way, i might use it.

Emeric

I don't need offline client, my ony use of dominion is 2 players games against human player.

I am not concern about play against bot

3. A strong bot.
I am not concern about play against bot

Yes it would be nice to have some time game, but first think to do is to have the option to change timeout and to display the timeout during the game (I know it will help slow player beacause they could wait the last seconds)

Yes with the most important option "auto accept undo when there is no new information"

It would be nice but for my interest I am not actually concern because only one of my friends play online.

It would be nice when we play tournament.

I am not sure it is an urgent point. I explain, gamesou do the translation in french and he gives me the link to beta test. But I dislike play against a player who have other cards translation because it is an hard work to talk about cards during the game.

The actual animations are good for me.

Yes, it is an important point and I will a best display of cards when we have to choose one in a lot of cards (scheme with lot of actions played for example).

And may probably if you hide the log, make all action for the moment in the log elsewhere.

Just improved compatibility seems good for me.

I have no iPhone

YES !
And I would like to add here the possibility of viewing history of leaderboard evolution, history of game, etc....
I love statistics ;)

Yes, may be a button to call an admin during a game.

Not needed I know how to play ;)

Not needed I know how to play online ;)
[/quote]

brigand13

Username: brigand1313

This is the most significant thing for me.  The offline client was always my strong preference. In fact, I'd even planned to pay whatever extra to turn on any additional expansions that I hadn't purchased from MF once I receive the offline client. 

This might be neat.  I can see it being useful to have bots of different skill levels in particular if such an AI could be implemented.

3. A strong bot.
This goes hand in hand with the option above.  It's helpful to have a "smart" AI in order to improve my game play; however, I wouldn't want it to be SOO strong that it's impossible to beat.  A happy middle ground would provide the most satisfying game play. 

Not really a big deal for me.

Not really a big deal for me.

This sounds neat, but also, not a big deal for me since I prefer offline play against an AI.

Not a concern for me

The only language I will ever use for the game is English, so this is not a factor.

This could be useful, but is a lower priority for me than the offline client and good AI.  I've gotten used to looking at the log to see what occurred. 

As with above, this sounds nice, but takes a backseat to the offline client

This would be nice, but once again is well behind the offline client in my priorities, esp. since I use the log to confirm what moves the AI player has made.

This might be nice, but isn't critical.  It seems like a mobile client would be a good draw for new players, but it isn't a major factor/draw for me.

See answer above RE Android client.

This would be nice, but seems more targeted to the online client as opposed to the offline.

Once again, not a major factor with the offline client.

Not something I'd need, but might be nice for new players.

Not needed for experienced players, but once again seems nice for new folks.

One thing that you didn't ask, but which I have wished for is an easy and intuitive way to create and save custom tableaus of cards for play against bots (or humans for that matter).  Also, a way to save the setups that are randomly generated.  There have been many times when I'd like to replay a particular setup to tweak my strategies, but each bot game creates a new deal of kingdom cards.  I think this would be extremely useful for both the online client any sort of offline option.  It also seems like a feature that would be pretty easy to implement.  And if this feature is already available, then it needs to be more visible/intuitive.  I'm thinking a way to just open your list of cards, select the 10 you want to include and then save that setup. 

Thanks for listening.  As a final note, clear and open communication is definitely the key to good will.  I've seen many people ask about the offline client on multiple occasions and they often got zero response.  This left many of us feeling like our preferences were being ignored and wondering if the offline client was being scrapped or what.  Good will isn't really all that hard to engender and I think most people understand and believe that you want this game to be the best it can be.  Just keep us in the loop if there are delays and we'll definitely cut you a lot more slack.

Faust60123

I would like the offline client. I had mixed feelings about the old campaigns. Hopefully new ones would be better.

Absolutely. e.g. offensive, defensive, balanced, money oriented, draw oriented, etc.

3. A strong bot.
Yes. Perhaps three to five levels of difficulty.

Not a big deal to me, but could be nice. I might use that.

Not sure what is meant my this. Undoing only specific phases of a turn? Automatic response to undo requests? Not sure how useful I would find any of that.

That could be cool. I would give that a try.

Yes. Possibly add a setting for "Open" versus "Closed" (i.e. invite only).

Not needed for me. (I am a German major and wouldn't mind trying to play in German, but I don't need to.)

Yes. Also consider an audio cue for some events (e.g. buying a Province or Colony, Gold, You've been attacked). Also add a speed setting for the bots. There are times when turns can take forever, even for a bot. Some common slow-downs: Draw until reveal "X". Bots playing lots of money, one - card - at - a - time, sometimes in an order that is detrimental to them. (Playing a Bank before all the money is out.)

Never felt it was a problem.

Yes, but also remove "Click in the Log" commands. Also, do not reset log to the top when switching back from Trash or after the Undo command. Perhaps a hover view of the trash? However, I am not a fan of having to hover to see what is on someones Tavern Mat. Maybe icons by their name.

Yes.

Not applicable.

Not important to me. Would like the option to replay a layout, though.

Have not had major issues with abuse.

Unimportant to me.

Not needed.

jeebus

3. A strong bot.

An AI that can actually can play would be cool, but not something I would use a lot, just from time to time.

For me it's very important that all actions that don't reveal new info can be auto-undo'ed. Options for granting all undo requests or denying all requests sounds fine, but I see no reason why auto-denying should include undoing actions that don't reveal new info (since that shouldn't be a request at all).

Yes, this would be good.

All card movements should be animated.

Yes, very important for me personally (since I still have to look this up on another site from time to time, which is very annoying), and extremely important for new players (which is important to me, since I want Dominion online to survive, and the way it is now is not helping that).

I would probably never hide the log, but it's important that no choices or functionality in the game is dependent on the log, especially for more casual players, which means almost all players. See previous point.

Yes, this would be very helpful. For me it would be enough that I can see them in the client.

I think it's working okay now, but I understand that it's worse on lower levels...

The other items (not listed) are not important for me personally.

Also, I think Durations/Tavern etc should not be displayed by hovering over the user name. There should be a dedicated button for this. Even better would be if these cards are displayed all the time, maybe faded and/or stacked/fanned and/or in reduced size, so that if there are only a few, you can see them at a glance. This graphic would then be presented normally and in full-size by clicking on it.

Also, there are still mistakes in the gamelog after the game (at least last I checked), with revealed cards etc. For me it's important that this is fixed. For players who are not aware of these (frequent) mistakes, the log can be very misleading.

sillle14

I was never really into the campaigns on the old version, but I would definitely try them if they were implemented. I am mostly happy just playing online so would probably not need/use an offline client.

This would be interesting to play against and it might help for learning how certain strategies work against certain behaviors. However, to be useful the bots would have to be really good and perhaps just playing against humans would be more efficient.

3. A strong bot.

This would be really cool but not something I think I need. I am happy playing against other humans, but this might be more of a priority for higher level players than myself.

Speed Dominion sounds fun! Although I feel like there are definitely times when taking your time is required, so it may not add much to the game. I guess I would be most interested in trying it in multiplayer games.

The undo feature is great how it is. I do not have any settings in mind that I think would improve it.

This would be really great! I definitely would use this capability.

Definitely would be helpful! It is kind of annoying to have to create a table, sometimes randos join, etc...

I don't need this.

I am happy with the animations as is, I probably wouldn't notice if they changed!

Definitely for split piles. I always have to check elsewhere to remember what is on the bottom. I also appreciate the newish feature with Bridge Troll, Haunted Woods, etc. The Archive/Crypt contents would be fantastic as well.

11. Option to hide the log

I wouldn't use it.

12. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)

This would be really cool! But I probably wouldn't use it unless there was a decent AI/single player. If I have long enough to play a full game all at once, I would just get my computer anyway. There would also be an opportunity here for daily challenge type things, like one kingdom and a bot everyone could play on against a leader board or something like that.

13. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)

I don't have one.

14. Downloadable game logs

Yes! This would be great, especially if they were formatted nicely.

15. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

I haven't had any problems.

16. Tutorial on how to play Dominion

I think that this would be a great idea, as learning how to play without physical cards can be tough (as I learned after isotropic first went offline and I tried to learn Innovation...). It would definitely make just jumping in to the online version way more accessible to new players.

17. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

If there is already a tutorial, it would only make sense to also include information on the online interface. Coming from the physical game to the online version was pretty self explanatory, but as things continue to become more and more complicated, maybe a quick tutorial or even a well organized reference would be helpful.

Thanks!

My username is sillle14

Melanie

I could imagine myself using this in a situation without internet access with time to kill, but not something I would use regularly. 

I'm not sure exactly what this means.  It would be helpful if bots didn't always use the same strategy.  Having different styles up come at random would be great.

3. A strong bot.

Yes. Having a challenging bot would be a big improvement. 

Could be fun.

Might be nice, not necessary.

Yes, this would be fun. 

I always do random matching, so I probably wouldn't use this. 

N/A

Nice, not necessary.

This would be helpful to have. 

I wouldn't use it

Don't have an android

Yes! Would love an iPhone app! (And iPad)

I would not use this feature.

Hasn't been an issue for me.

Yes, important for new players.  Makes it easier to suggest to friends. 

Could be nice, but it's pretty user-friendly

Goldberry18

Hello, Stef, and thank you for all you do.

I play primarily bots because I often have to leave the game, which is unfair and annoying to my opponents. But I have purchased every single expansion and have played since before the days of isotopic by means of some German site that I've forgotten. Here is my input.

**This would be very nice. And I'd like an option to reset the campaign as well.

**Or maybe just some different bots to choose from. I'm sick of the normal one and the only way I can play Revenge Witch or some other stronger bot is to play a 3+player game with bots, then kick one of them.

3. A strong bot.
**Yes please.

**I think this is a good plan. Helps prevent the slow play obviously.

**No opinion

**I think this would be fantastic.

**Yes please. Why can we not just see everyone who is online? In a lobby or something?

**No opinion

**I think they're fine as they are

**Now THIS would be helpful. The split piles for sure. Seeing what we have set aside as in real life would be awesome. Even the old fave Native Village is cumbersome to check in on. Instead of being hidden, I wish it were part of the obvious field of play. Lately you have been showing the duration cards for a few extra moments as a reminder that they're in effect. Wish the mats could show somehow like that.

**No opinion, it's so small as it is

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online
**All of these are not on my wish list.

In general, I'd love the offline option. I know that's in the works. I'm so happy that you have managed to get all the expansions up and running. I really enjoyed the campaign. I wish there were more of them, some variety, it's a really fun alternative that I know many players don't get into. I like the idea of tourneys.

Thank you for all you do to keep us happy and playing.

keran

Hi, thanks for giving us this opportunity.

I think the main element I would like to see is advanced stats. Including for games played with bots. Stats would include a win rate, a rating against bots and also stats about most/least cards.

More bots would be nice too (with varied skill level).

my username is Keran.

Thank you.

mathemusical

I would probably play these, as I enjoy the sense of progression.

This would be nice, especially if one could mimic the feel of the game with my friends/family i.e., I don't buy that Witch unless you do. Not every enjoyable playstyle is optimal, and I think that's fine.

3. A strong bot.
I don't feel the strong need to play something super challenging usually. I just like relaxing and playing the game.

I generally don't like timers for games that aren't normally timed, so I can't see myself using this.

I absolutely need this. My potential for misclicking is apparently high.

This could be fun. I don't know that it'd get much use from me, but I like the idea.

I usually play games with my family online, so private games settings would be much appreciated, especially if it makes it easier for them to find me rather than wading through the sometimes myriad public tables listed.

English is my first language, so I don't think this question is aimed at me. Not necessary in my case.

The current animations are fine, though I think the log is still necessary to understand what happened on another turn.

The things that are difficult for me right now are reserve cards and whatever else I have to mouse over my name to see, and the ability to look at the trash would be nice.

I don't think I'd be able to follow the game without the log. It's useful to be able to see what the other player did.

This would be nice in case I ever switch to Android, which seems probable given the current price of new iPhones.

I would absolutely love to be able to play Dominion on my phone. I know I can theoretically play online on Safari but my screen is tiny enough to make it difficult.

Outside the game, I don't read a whole lot of logs, as I find them hard to follow by themselves.

I usually play the bots, and the few live games I've had have been perfectly civil, so I don't have a lot to say here. I haven't had any problem with the time other players I've played have need to think, as I'm not always quick either.

I don't need this, but I like tutorials, so it's possible I'd play around with it just for fun. Low on the list for me.

This is more important to me, especially if the interface changes significantly. It would be nice to have an in-game place to go to point out useful features. It took forever, for example, for me to understand how the reserve cards are displayed, and then a while longer before I could actually work out how to call one, as it's apparently one of the few game decisions displayed in the log rather than the actual play area.

Oblio

My user name is oblio
this seems like a good ideas. As one of the people who paid quite a bit of money for the app and plays A LOT, I was very confused and disappointed this time last year.
I actually didn't like the original online version at all. I stopped playing altogether. A couple months into 2017 I decided to give it another go and was very impressed with the improvements and it immmediately became my favorite go-to game. I'll do my best to answer the wishlist items that I have opinions on but my main wish is a cleaner, easier to understand lobby. I've played hundreds of hours on your game and still haven't figured out how to save a table that I like.

Your wishlist
Great idea. I love it. I really enjoyed the campaign on the app version. It was very challenging.
Another great idea.
3. A strong bot.
Yes I can beat the bot most days and sometimes wish it were more difficult
Not interested unless it's offline
That's cheating
Maybe. I'm mostly interested in playing short games against an ai but if this existed I might do it.
I have no friends so no. But if I had some this might be cool.
8. More translations (to what language?) n/a
Don't care
yes this would be great
YES YES A MILLION TIMES YES.
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)N/a
It would be good but the web page already works great on my iPad. So I don't really care.
Don't care, never will.
Never had a problem.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominionn