feedback, Dominion Offline & free subscriptions for old MF users

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyphen-ated

Username: Hyphen-ated
I have sorted the list elements in approximate order of importance to me.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...
This is the #1 thing I want. In particular the bottom card of split piles and the contents of the boon/hex decks should be visible without having to go use some external resource.
4. Options for timed games
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...)

These two are related; the main form of abuse I don't like dealing with is slowplaying, and I believe a full-fledged clock system is the only way to solve that problem. Currently I never play games with randoms because this doesn't exist. I would like to be able to play and enjoy games with randoms. For when someone is abusive in chat, I want an option to turn off their chat but continue the game.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table
Or a table password to prevent randoms from joining. It feels bad when I'm arranging a game to have to keep kicking people who join.
13. Downloadable game logs
Sort of related, I want statistics about my entire history of played games to be integrated into the client.
5. Options for undo settings
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...

The current undo system and animations are "good enough", but if they were made better in some way then yeah sure that would be nice.

The rest don't affect me personally at all:
1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles
3. A strong bot.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.
8. More translations (to what language?)
10. Option to hide the log
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?)
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?)
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online.

recfish

Hello. Firstly, I think you guys do an incredible job catering to the users, and updating the game with relevant features. So thanks for that. I was mildly upset about losing my subscription, but I understand that the business model changed, and was ok with it (I'd still like the free half year subscription though :) )

Here are my thoughts on the proposed changes:

I don't care about this at all. The fun for me is competing with others

It could be cool, but I see this as low priority - Happy if it happens, but really don't care if it never gets done.

3. A strong bot.

That would be very impressive, but still low in priority

I like this idea a lot.

I prefer the current, unalterable undo settings

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends.

I like this but, could live without it.

Convenient, but not crucial.

I only speak English so this one has no effect on me.

I'd much prefer you DIDN'T do this. One of the reasons I like your site so much is that you don't focus on non-gameplay related nonsense.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ...

Yes, please. I would consider this a bug now, as I may not remember what the bottom of a split pile is and have no on-site method of obtaining that info.

I've learned to love the log, so meh.

I think I'll ever play on my phone.

I think I'll ever play on my phone (and I don't have an iPhone).

I'm not that intense, so I don't care about this.

Yes! The blacklist button helped a lot, though.

I already know how to play, so this doesn't affect me.

I already know how to play, so this doesn't affect me.

Here is my ordering from top to lowest priority (with blank lines indicating large gaps in my preferences):

3. A strong bot.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/... (PLEEAAASE don't do this)

A few things I would like to see:

• Moving all gameplay decision making away from the log. Right now, you have to look at the log to do things like play your teacher, which is a bit of a nuisance (especially if you have scrolled up on the log).
  • Easier card reordering. With cards like cartographer and sentry, it always takes me several attepmts to reorder the cards correctly (the UI is a bit wonky).
  • A fix for the discard pile bug. When you the other player discards some of your cards, the wrong card shows up for an instant at the top of your discard pile.
  • A more robust way to navigate the leaderboard.
  • The autoscrolling for the log turns off every once in a while and refuses to go back on. A fix for this would be nice

Thank you for creating a great website!

recfish

AshGaidin

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
1. If it can unlock features, great. If it's just to play bots, don't really care.
2. I think you will have a hard enough time with ai without trying to make playstyle ai.
3. Bots should be competitive, though without magic computer memory.
4. I see no value in time limiting games unless it's timeout delay for a player.
5. Undo should not be up to your opponent, either you can undo until you hit end turn or no undo at all.
6. Player hosted tourneys are good and will help draw in new players.
7. Playing with friends is important, you should be able to invite specific players.
8. I only speak english, so no personal value, but being able to play against non-english speakers would be cool.
9. Animation isn't really necesssary.
10. Yes, you should be able to see discards and trash etc. easily. 
10. It can be cluttery, so being able to minimize is good.
11. Would appreciate an android app, I could play this on my phone.
12. If you have an app, it should be iphone compatible.
13. Unless you start getting serious tourneys, logs aren't that important.
14. Never had problems with this, though slightly faster timeout wouldn't be bad.
15. Yes, you should have a tutorial for new players.
16. The tutorial should cover all aspects of the game.

Username:AshGaidin.

Moat_Man

I play exclusively against the AI in short bursts. I normally play 3-4 games per session against 2 AI bots. The most important feature I would like is a more challenging AI in several levels.

For gameplay/UI feedback, I think all the buttons to click on (Autoplay Treasures, End Buys) should be in the same area. Even after playing for a year I sometimes catch myself waiting for something and realize I need to click on something in the log. If the game is waiting for you to do something it needs to be more in your face than off to the side in the log.

Here are some features we have on our wishlist; please let me know if you would appreciate/use them:
Actually not that important for me as I play on computer that is always connected.

This would be great to simulate different types of opponents. A random feature would be appreciated too.

3. A strong bot.
Yes please. Having the bot pick Estate for Mystic every time gets a bit thin.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Sure, better animations are... better.

Yes, I would like to see the bottom card of the split pile more easily.

Not important for me. I am ok with the log being there and refer to it occasionally.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Username: Moat_Man

Thank you for your hard work over the past year. I look forward to an improving Dominion Online experience.

Accatitippi

Username: Accatitippi

There are two features that I'd like to see:
A. a chat function saying "Player X is tyiping..."
This would make it much less awkward to leave tables at the end of the game and so on. Also, generally makes a chat much more usable to have a conversation in.

B. a way to play a couple of games once in a while with all expansions
Sometimes I play a lot of Dominion, and love the subscription system. Sometimes I just don't have time, or have other things in my mind, but get the Dominion itch, and would like to play a couple of games. I can pay 4€ for the whole month, but that feels expensive, or I can play Silver/base, but that's less fun (and it's what I'm doing). A third option would be appreciated, like being able to buy 100 games to be used whenever I feel like or a "Casual Gold" subscription limited to a certain number of games per month.

C. as an extra, the ability to see trash contents by hovering over "Trash", instead of clicking it to get in, and then again to go back to log. You know, like the play areas and tavern mats work.

Yes, and more so if the bots become good, and if it runs on mobile.

Interesting, but not fundamental. It would be cool if we could write our own bots, though.

3. A strong bot.
YES

Not interested at all.

I like the way undo works by default, wouldn't probably care to change it.

This is cool. I wouldn't use it, but I like it.

I wouldn't use it much (on account of having no friends), but it's a useful feature for sure.

I'm not the right person to answer this one. If there was an Italian version, I wouldn't use it because Dominion is in English for me. It would just be weird. Needless to say, if you do an Italian version, watch out for errors in the translation of many pubblished cards. If you need help, I'd be happy to get involved if it happens in a period when I have time.

Yes. Not fancy, but clear and functional. And you need more bats when Curses are gained.

Definitely fundamental.

Only when the game can be played without the log.

Yes! I'd love to see something as smooth as Androminion, with good AIs, and multiplayer. Right now I still play a lot of Androminion (more games than I play on Shuffle It, for sure), which says a lot about how good and convenient that implementation is since it's basically solo, the bots being worse than Rattington.

I wouldn't use it.

I'd love love love this. I'm not the right person to do this, but if you made it convenient for people to write something like the old councilroom, I'm sure somebody would do it, and the world would become a much better place.

Never had problems that weren't solved by the small yellow lightning bolt.

I wouldn't use it, but it's probably important? Even just a short passive video explaining the basics in 5 minutes would go a long way.

There are some non-obvious things which would do being explained. Maybe the nonobvious things can be made obvious, and then you don't really need this one.

Thanks!

Rk324

My user name is rk324 for extended membership. Thanks!

yes! for me would be that offline would be much faster!
Would be good - option to pick or random
3. A strong bot.
Absolutely, I play bots mostly
Not important to me.
Sure, but not that important
Sure, good idea.
Yes, there needs to be an easier interface for connecting with friends and seeing which friends are online to invite.
Not important for me.
Animations not important for me. In fact, they sometimes just get in the way and slow things down.
Better visualization of duration cards!!! Can't see what duration cards are in play between turns. Very important!
Opponent plays too fast so log is critical to see to find out what happened.
Yes
Would be very nice!!
Not important to me.
Haven't had a problem with it, but definitely feel there should be good moderation there.
Sure, critical for people new to the game.
Definitely!!

rg

Hi Stef,

My username is reeveg, for extended membership. Thanks!

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots: I don't have a strong preference for this one way or another. I don't have any problems playing online, but might use an offline version if it was available.

2. A bot with a setting for different play styles. Yes, absolutely! I really miss the old variety of bot styles that were available in MF.

3. A strong bot. Again, yes! It is more fun and useful in strengthening my own game to play against a wider variety of bot skill levels.

4. Options for timed games. Meh. Not something I would use. I prefer a leisurely style in order to really think about the cards and the strategy. 

5. Options for undo settings. Absolutely! Essential!! Please keep the option to undo!

6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. Wouldn't care about this - I'm not a tournament type of player.

7. Option to invite specific players to your table. Yes.  I mostly either play against bots or a specific partner. I almost never play against random players. An option to invite that person would prevent random people from trying to get into the game, which occasionally happens if my partner isn't quick enough.

8. More translations (to what language?) For me that wouldn't matter. English is fine.

9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...I think the current animations are fine. This isn't something I care about particularly as long as what is going on is clear and easy to see and understand.

10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... Yes, that would probably help.

10. Option to hide the log. Yes, that would reduce the visual clutter. I don't use the log much unless I am trying to backtrack a question or problem, so I would probably mostly keep it closed.

11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) I have an Android but have never tried playing Dominion on it, so I can't really say. I play it on a laptop and my instinct is that a larger screen would be better. How would you squeeze all those cards (or at least all of the relevant information) onto such a tiny screen?

12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) I don't have an iPhone but see above for general comments.

13. Downloadable game logs. I wouldn't use that feature - I play this for fun and relaxation, not for getting intense and competitive.

14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) I don't engage much with online players other than people I already know, so this isn't really an issue for me.

15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion. Yes, please bring this back!!! I would love to play this online with my Dad, who lives far away, but the game is way too complicated for him to learn without instruction, which I can't provide from a distance. I thought the old tutorials were great - the plotline was silly but you really did learn how to use the cards and play the game. The instruction was really well thought out, and it was easy to go back and practice something over and over again until you mastered it.

16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. Yes, see above. I felt silly, but it took me a while to figure out that you could right-click on a card to make it bigger and read the text, for instance.  Also the process from creating a table to actually playing the game is not intuitive unless you are already familiar with online game play in general. (Thinking again here about my Dad...As it is now I would have to be on the phone with him, walking him through the steps.)

May I add one other thing? I preferred the old pricing structure, where you paid a flat and permanent fee per deck. The new pricing structure is a) a little steep for a casual player like me, esp. if my partner has to pay it as well ($60 or $70 a year for a household is too much) and b) doesn't provide the flexibility I would like to have in choosing and exploring new decks. Just wanted to put that out there in case that is something you all are thinking about along with everything else.

Thanks so much for this opportunity! I hope you get some good feedback.
reeveg

Slow Hand Duke

Hi Stef,
My username is: Slow Hand Duke

Thanks for the offer of the free subscription for a year for giving feedback.  Here is mine:

General thoughts

1. The new interface for playing Dominion online is much better than the old one on Making Fun.
2. Despite this fact, I was still quite annoyed (and still am actually) to learn that the decks I bought on MF, that were advertised as never going away, were in fact going away... and worse, to play more in the future I would need to buy a subscription.  I loathe buying subscriptions to things that I only intermittently use.  When I bought my physical Dominion set, I knew I wouldn't have to keep paying money every year I wanted to play it.  MF was set up like this, and I liked that aspect of it.  The new subscription service, while an upgrade in UI, is not an overall upgrade in my opinion because of the mandatory subscription.

Answers to your specific questions

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots.     
Yes this would be useful.  I would play it a lot this way for the campaigns

Yes, I'd find this useful, and being able to set different bot difficulty settings is key.

3. A strong bot.
Yes, this would be useful.

This would certainly bring a different element to gameplay in this mode.  I'm not sure if I'd play it much, but it might be compelling.  I'd have to see.

I basically always grant undo's unless it's just egregious.  That being said, it might be nice to be able to filter out the hardcore undoers.  For the most part, I find it's not an issue though.  Most players don't undo.  I've never asked for an undo before.

Yes, I'd like this.  It could bring more of a group element into it.

Very much yes please.  This seems like a basic feature that should have available from the start.

Not needed for me.  English is all I speak (unfortunately).

Not really needed, especially if it bogs down performance.

Without a doubt this is sorely needed.

Yes this would be nice, I think mostly for beginners to not get overwhelmed at first.

I'm not Android, so my opinion here doesn't count.

Yes, I would like this.  Either one would be fine, I guess.  I think games are where apps can really shine, so maybe an app over improved compatibility?... But either would be fine.

Yes!

I haven't seen an issue with this yet.

Yes, it would be much easier for me to get friends into the game without having to explain it directly!

Not sure how this is different than question 15...?

I hope this helps!  :)

thumpasasorous

Hi there,

Here are my preferences:

I would use this if I wanted to play a quick game while waiting for something else.
  This might be nice, overall strength is more important.
3. A strong bot.
  The value of 1. depends on this as much as anything.
  YES. I play blitz chess so this would be nice.
  Lots of settings, so yeah it would be nice to reset to default. Or, depending on what was meant by the question, being able to default to denying undo requests would be okay too.
  Yeah!
  Also yes.
  No thoughts on this.
  Fine as is for me.
  Fine as is too.
  I wouldn't use it, others might.
  N/A
  An actual app would easily triple the amount of time I play. So yeah, an app would be great.
  That would be great.
  Seems alright as is by me.
  N/A
  As long as interface stays intuitive shouldn't be an issue.

The_Pip

When you first took over the game it was unplayable and I walked away from it, for nearly a year. I came back because I got the Dominion itch again, and I found the game vastly improved and easy to play. I sincerely appreciate the work done to this point and the future plans you have. In lieu of an app, I'll give the game a try on my ipad mini and see how it goes.

TL;DR I gave you a second chance and I'm happy I did. Keep up the good work.

CoWm4n

Username: Cowm4n
(hope this is not too late, and not too concise...)

Yes please. This was my main interest when I started playing with MF.
Would be nice, but not top priority.
3. A strong bot.
High prio.
I'm focussed on playing offline against AI, so no prio for me.
Not necessary
Sounds nice, when all the core functionality is implemented.
No focus on online mode for me. But if so...great improvement.
Not necessary for me.
Yes, this would be a vast improvement. You should be able to follow the game without checking the log frequently.
No top priority for me.
Yes please (see 9)
Yes yes yes yes yes!
Not for me
Not necessary
Not necessary
Not necessary
Not necessary

Mic Qsenoch

Don't need subscription extension.

My most desired features: Better bot, chat mute, timed matches, Android compatibility.

kobedf

I am past the 10 day limit because I only saw it now :(. Hopefully this still works and thank you for the work so far !
Username: kobedf

To summarize, strong AI is super important for me because it allows me to play fast and I like that. Humans are not that fast and when you have limited time and still want to play a meaningful game a good bot is the way to go.

In the MF game some of the campaigns worked with some tweaked rules. For example, play the first action twice. It would be nice to spice up the game like that.

I am not a big fan of animations especially if they slow down the game. But, the current animation for the opponent turn is tough to follow because the cards are upside down and moving at the same time.

I like the autoplay option where available and it would be cool to expand it to as many cards as possible (Sentry is one example where it would still be helpful).

I would like that but it's not hugely important at this point for me.

Super useful and a very nice idea ! I really like this.

3. A strong bot.
Super useful, especially if its strength is customizable.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Yes, I would like that.

No.

No, I prefer things to be as fast as possible.

No, I prefer things to be as fast as possible.

Yes, would be cool assuming the extra space is used for something.

Yes, would be super cool.

No.

They are good but of limited use per-se. How about using a previous game log to replay that game from some point.
This would make sense mostly against bots. For example, a player makes an error at turn 10 and wonders if he could have won
if he had not made that mistake.

Dealing with slow players is super important.

Not important for me.

Not important for me.

Itchakomi

Username: Itchakomi
Not interested
Yes this would be helpful
3. A strong bot.
Yes
Not interested
Not sure what this means. Undo game options?
This would  be fun
Yes. I usually  play  with  my family
No
No. Slows down the  game
Yes. This would be  helpful
Yes
Yes
No
No
Haven't  needed this
I don't  need it, but useful for others.
Not necessary for  me.
Thanks. It is a great game. Love the matching option.

oloringrayhame

Hi Stef,
My username is oloringrayhame. Liking what you've done so far and I really appreciate you going out of your way to be 'fair'. I know it's not your fault AT ALL about us losing what we bought before and I think you are doing a great job making up for what I consider Rio  Grande and Donald X. excesses. Now on to feedback:

1. An offline client, allowing you to play campaigns against bots:  Yes, I would play the heck out of this.
2. A bot with a setting for different play styles: Indifferent, but may be useful for people to learn against various play styles.
3. A strong bot.  Very useful IMHO.
4. Options for timed games. I don't really see the need for this from my point of view.
5. Options for undo settings. I don't really like undos. I think you learn from your mistakes.
6. Online mini-tournaments; the option to easily create one for you & your friends. Yes, this would be fun and I think I could probably get more of my friends online with this game if this was an option.
7. Option to invite specific players to your table. Yes, again, I could get more friends involved.
8. More translations (to what language?) I only speak English, so...
9. Better animations when cards are gained/bought/played/...I am satisfied currently with the interface. I would not like to see this clutter / slow down the game.
10. Better visualization of split piles, Archive/Crypt contents, Prince targets, ... These are possible improvements to the interface, but other this should be priority (AI).
10. Option to hide the log. Yes, more options for the interface are always a good thing.
11. Android app (or just improved compatibility?) I would play via mobile.
12. iPhone app (or just improved compatibility?) I have an android.
13. Downloadable game logs. I personally would not use this feature.
14. Improved moderation (dealing with chat abuse, slowplayers, ...) Better customer service is always appreciated, however I think you are doing a pretty good job now.
15. Tutorial on how to play Dominion. I think I"m a pretty advanced player so I would not use this.
16. Tutorial on how to play dominion online. See above.