Throne Room and Knights

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeal

This is in reference to game 10459121 on tokyo.

My opponent played a knight with a throne room. On the first play, it hit one of my knights and trashed. It still played a second time. It seems that the ability to play a second time should be ended when the card is trashed. I know you can't get $2 twice by throning a Mining Village.

So is this a bug? If not please explain the rule that allows it.

markus

This is correct behaviour. Nothing prevents a card's text to be executed again by Throne Room, even if the card has moved somewhere else.

Some cards say "if you do" for returning it to somewhere or trashing it, such that it can't work twice with Throne Room. Some cards say "while this is in play", such that you can't throne the effect. Mining Village now says "trash this for +2", which means that you actually have to trash it and it doesn't work twice. (I found the "if you do" phrase clearer, but I'm non-native.)

TheSeal

I struggle with that one conceptually a little. However, after reading the rules for several cards a better comparison is Island. The Seaside rules explicitly state a second card can be set aside with an Island when it's throned. After reading that I can understand the knight trashing two cards when throned.

This forum needs a new section entitled "I think it's a bug but it's probably not because there's some little detail I'm missing". Post of the "Bug Reports" belong there. It would save the moderators a lot of reading.

Thanks for the clarification!

Ingix

The fundamental leap to understanding of this issue for me was that "the game" always knows the card text and everything else about any card, so it can simply execute that text, even if the card is not where it is 'expected'.