Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Early "gg" - Utterly minor gripe!  (Read 319 times)

Offline blamelewis

• Trying to get the hang of Thursdays
    • View Profile
Early "gg" - Utterly minor gripe!
« on: 20 January 2018, 12:40:19 AM »
So trivial.... but it does bug me a little when folks post "gg" on my turn *before* the game has actually ended.
Sure sometimes I do go on to win, which seems to be what they're assuming, but not always by any means...
...and then my natural paranoia goes "what have I missed???" :)

Does this bother anyone else?

Offline josh bornstein

• View Profile
Re: Early "gg" - Utterly minor gripe!
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2018, 01:21:21 AM »
Blame,
I understand your reaction . . . it's sort of weird to say it before the game actually ends.  People often send it on games they win (to show respect for a well-played game, or at least for a fun game) and also for games they lose (to show good sportsmanship).  So, I would not read into "good game/gg" that they are prematurely conceding the game and/or celebrating their assumed victory.

So, why do they do it?  I think because many many many people will leave a game immediately upon winning or losing.  That's happened to me.  I want to type out a "thanks for the game" message, or "that was a great and unexpected strategy you used" message . . . but I get no chance to--they've already disappeared.  :(

Maybe this premature 'good game' is just a way of them insisting on being friendly and polite???  (Or maybe it's done for an entirely different reason--I'm totally speculating, above.)

Offline Bbl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2018, 02:11:08 AM »
If you have some time to spare, there was quite an extensive discussion on the subtle nuances of the term 'gg' on http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17825.0;all ;)

Offline blamelewis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2018, 01:46:52 AM »
Yeah, the "fast getaway" thing has occurred to me too - I think it's mostly a case of feeling internal pressure when it's said on my turn! :)

Bbl - thanks for the link!

T.

Offline PeasantKing

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2018, 02:05:13 AM »
I find myself doing a premature GG because so many people leave the table before I get the chance to show sportsmanship. I don't mean to be rude. Actually the opposite.

Offline blamelewis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2018, 02:09:43 AM »
Makes perfect sense PK... I think it's just one of the ways online text chat utterly fails to capture the nuances of human communication - and I also think I need to lighten up about it :) The link a few posts back is really good actually - and the first point is "assume good intent" which is sage advice for me I reckon!

T