Self-sorting players by hearts and bolts

Previous topic - Next topic

jmjm

WHAT IF, when matching players for a game, if players with lots of "heart" markers tended to get assigned to games with other upvoted players, while downvoted ("bolt") players would tend to be matched to other downvoted players.

That is: let the polite people play with other polite people, and consign the rude players to play against other rude players.  It would add an extra incentive for players to be decent to each other online.

WhiteRabbit1981

No.
PPl would start to farm hearts like they farm likes at social media.

jsh

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 25 January 2018, 08:23:03 PM
No.
PPl would start to farm hearts like they farm likes at social media.

... So they'd be courteous in games?

blamelewis

I'm all for things that would improve politeness around here, but I'd caution that a "bolt" doesn't necessarily mean someone has been rude... from the many discussions of preference of play style and *especially* play speed, it's clear that some players use the bolt just to avoid playing someone whose play style they aren't fond of, no rudeness necessary...

Best
Tim

WhiteRabbit1981

Quote from: jsh on 25 January 2018, 10:31:04 PM

No. But I could imagine a "vote me good" thread in some forum, where you meet to get a heart-vote. I can also imagine spam-accounts used only to vote. I can even imagine ppl threaten others in chat, like "give me a heart or you will get 50 bolts from my downvote-bot-army".

jsh

Quote from: WhiteRabbit1981 on 26 January 2018, 10:20:31 AM
Quote from: jsh on 25 January 2018, 10:31:04 PM

No. But I could imagine a "vote me good" thread in some forum, where you meet to get a heart-vote. I can also imagine spam-accounts used only to vote. I can even imagine ppl threaten others in chat, like "give me a heart or you will get 50 bolts from my downvote-bot-army".

I dunno, that seems like an irrational fear to me.

jmjm

There is an easy way to filter out hearts and bolts from temporary throw-away accounts: only count the opinions of users with paid subscriptions.

jsh

But, like, what's the problem with people "farming hearts" even if it's possible? They don't gain anything from it. Seems like a pointless thing to be concerned about.

Ingix

I simply fail to see any reason why this would make anything better. Players that get exessively bolted will normally be banned anyway. If players bolt each other because play styles differ (say fast vs. slow), this has nothing to do with one or both being 'bad'.

Then this has the same problem as other suggestions that try to seperate the player base according to some criterion, say play speed. How much more time would you be willing to wait to play someone who is more 'your style', if someone else is available now? It's already a non-trivial thing to do for the rating (where it is done), but adding more categories makes this more erratic.