how to order Prince'd cards

Previous topic - Next topic

santamonica811

Just played my first game with Prince.  I ended up Prince'ing 2 Smithys (8 extra cards to start each turn does not suck).  And could have/should have also Prince'd a Hamlet, for the extra turns + buys.  Obviously, with those 3 cards, I'd like to have the Hamlet played last, so Hamlet would have the largest pile of cards from which to select cards to discard.  I assume that the default would be: most recent Prince'd card is the last one to take effect, yes?

But, obviously, there could be many times where you Prince a card and your later Prince'ing changes things, so optimal strategy calls for a different order.

Question One:  When you have Prince'd at least one card already and now Prince a different card, do you get to select the permanent order at the time of Prince'ing?  Or are you stuck with the order that the game chooses for you, depending on the order that you happened to Prince each card?

Question Two: I see that with some of the Nocturne Cards; if you play two of them on a turn, you get to choose the order of play each time [on the following turn], which is how it should be.  Is this the same with multiple Princes...that, each turn, you can choose the order that you want on that particular turn?  [I could see this being especially useful if one of the several cards you Prince is, say, Throne Room . . . you'd like to be able to choose what card TR affects depending on the stage of the game, other cards in your hand, etc.]

markus

Quote from: josh bornstein on 01 March 2018, 04:18:35 AM
Is this the same with multiple Princes...that, each turn, you can choose the order that you want on that particular turn?
This is exactly how it works.

Ingix

In practice, the game 'knows' that for some things the order doesn't matter. For example, with 2 Smithies on 2 Princes, it will not bother you to ask for an order. But genereally, as markus said, you get reorder the cards as you like.

santamonica811

Good to hear.  It's sort of an edge case, so I think it's great that you guys had the foresight to program for its subtlety already, before anyone even had to complain.  :-)

Nice job!!!