Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Why I am quitting dominion  (Read 1255 times)

Offline dextrapunch

• View Profile
Re: Why I am quitting dominion
« Reply #15 on: 13 March 2018, 12:05:05 PM »
This has been suggested and discussed many, many times. And the fact is, that this rule change would change a slight first-player advantage into a huge second player advantage. The first player could no longer ever end the game with a win; he would have to always make sure he builds up a big enough lead first, and then end the game; hoping that the second player can't catch up. Whereas the second player can continue to play normal Dominion, and win simply by ending the game while 1 or more points ahead. It would be very unfair to the first player. The object of Dominion is not to get the highest score you can (and then hope that it is higher than your opponent's score). The object is to end the game while you are in the lead.

In Citadels the one closing has 4 points more.
That could be something. The one closing gets a bonus. Then you have however another turn.
This would be less unfair.
OR
The one closing either wins or ties.
The other one, if doesn't get enough points to tie, loses.
If he goes even, or overtakes the opponent, it's a tie. That would be another solution.
This would change mecahnics, that is true, but in my opinion, for the better.
This would make me rethink about my idea to retire from dominion.

-cut-
I doubt that you made your original post in the midst of anger, so I suspect that it's an issue that you thought about for a while.  Which means that your decision to (at least temporarily) leave Dominion will not change . . . at least, for now.

Yes, you got all my points and for this I really thank you a lot.

I don't think I have to add more, but, I would like to see some game mechanics changed and that would surely be something.

Offline XD9

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 March 2018, 04:43:45 PM »
Sorry to see you go!  However, it seems you have a classic case of selective amnesia.  We as humans tend to fixate on the times that screwed us over and become convinced that the universe is aligned against us.  The truth is we are ignoring or not giving as much credence to the times that the very thing we are complaining about worked in our favor, on other games.  It is a very common thing to occur and I catch myself doing it all the time as well!  It is difficult to not be biased when considering the things happening to you.  I recommend giving it another chance. 

Offline Puk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 March 2018, 04:52:44 PM »
Sorry to see you go!  However, it seems you have a classic case of selective amnesia.  We as humans tend to fixate on the times that screwed us over and become convinced that the universe is aligned against us.  The truth is we are ignoring or not giving as much credence to the times that the very thing we are complaining about worked in our favor, on other games.  It is a very common thing to occur and I catch myself doing it all the time as well!  It is difficult to not be biased when considering the things happening to you.  I recommend giving it another chance. 

I actually don't recommend giving it another chance. if you can't handle losing once in a while just because of bad luck (or winning because of good luck), don't play dominion, play chess. i think you made a perfect analysis of what you want.

Offline jeebus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 March 2018, 06:10:20 PM »
I've also played thousands of games, I'm usually at around level 58-60 (I've been in the top 20 two or three times). I also feel that luck plays too big of a role when both players more or less know what they're doing. And I don't even mean the same level. Since I have a high ranking, I usually play opponents lower than me. I often lose to people 10 levels lower. Sometimes they're simply not playing well at all, in which case I will usually win (but not always). But sometimes they are playing okay, not fantastic, but decently (they could even be copying my strategy), and then it will most of the time be luck that decides the game. Even making several big mistakes is usually of less importance than luck.

I've had days where I keep losing to lower ranked players more often than not, even starting to think that it might be me who's not seeing something in my game or my opponents' games that could explain it; but then get matched with a higher ranked player and beat that player.

The luck factor is just part of the basic structure of the game though. I can't see any way it could be different. You could imagine a variant stacking your deck instead of shuffling (I read that somebody had tried this), but of course it wouldn't be anything close to the same game, and would change the value of all the cards, etc. The point of Dominion is to evaluate the odds when you build your deck (although this could change in some situations where you have complete deck control, but you still have to figure out how to get there, and get there first or in the best way).

I probably won't be quitting Dominion any time soon though. But I often wish that it would happen more frequently that the player playing better wins.

Offline JW

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 March 2018, 07:00:42 PM »
I've also played thousands of games, I'm usually at around level 58-60 (I've been on the top 20 two or three times). I also feel that luck plays too big of a role when both players more or less know what they're doing. 

...The luck factor is just part of the basic structure of the game though.

Some Kingdoms offer more opportunity to outplay your opponent than others. Over time, the probability that the best strategy on the board is complex has increased. This is due to a changing card pool: fewer terminal actions and fewer "dud" cards. Games also tend to go longer (mainly due to additional sources of VP introduced in Empires), which increases the number of decisions players need to make, and increases the chances that the person playing better will win.

Offline dextrapunch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 March 2018, 08:22:28 PM »
However, it seems you have a classic case of selective amnesia.  We as humans tend to fixate on the times that screwed us over and become convinced that the universe is aligned against us.

Nope. Already explained. I lose in other games, I win in other games, and that's pretty Dominion-based.
While...

I've also played thousands of games, I'm usually at around level 58-60 (I've been on the top 20 two or three times). I also feel that luck plays too big of a role when both players more or less know what they're doing

Exactly my thoughts.
It is important to have people rannked in the top 20 expressing something like that.
It's always is easy to blame someone else. More difficult is to admit the game you like has some major bugs.
That alas can't be easily fixed, too.

Offline dextrapunch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 March 2018, 08:25:36 PM »
I would like also to add that I plaied a lot on fextralife too, before here.
There wasn't any ladder, I lost to players who were clearly committing mistakes, but I humbly always thought that perhaps I saw as mistakes what were smart moves.

Now that I have a ladder I have a score to refere to, to help me undestrand if I am losing to an expert player or not.

Offline Turn turn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 March 2018, 03:37:55 PM »
I agree that luck plays its part in thus game but if you were "unlucky" for 500 games on a total of 5000 played for example, then you will have been lucky on 500 other of those 5000 games too i guess. Everybidy who plays Dominion knows that its nit onky about strategy but also about being lucky every now and then. If you cant cope with that then its a good thing you quit this game!