Why I am quitting dominion

Previous topic - Next topic

jeebus

Quote from: IceHot on 30 July 2019, 09:41:16 PM
I think you too have missed the point of Dominion.
Maybe you missed the point of my post.

Regarding your explanation of risk management, I was saying the same thing. ("The luck factor is just part of the basic structure of the game though.")

I definitely agree that the biggest element of luck is which cards get bottom-decked (along with the opening split). There is no risk management involved in that particular element though. There is with buying two terminals, but that's a separate issue. You seem to be confusing the two.

To your bigger point that the "point" of Dominion is that it's short so therefore the large luck factor is good. I agree that Dominion works because it's short, but that's because luck-based games are better if they are short, not because short games are better of they have a big luck factor. We can imagine a game that is just as short but with a lower luck factor. Everything else being equal, why wouldn't that be a better game?

(Another thing is that Dominion with 4 players, the most luck-based format, can easily take an hour, and sometimes more. I can play 4-player Puerto Rico in pretty close to that time. This is why many high-level players only want to play 2-player of course.)

Of course party/casual games are supposed to have a big luck factor and also be short. And there are good arguments to be made that Dominion was not originally meant to be played on quite as serious a level as some people are. (There was a thread about this in the strategy forum a while ago.) Maybe you're saying that we should be playing Dominion as more of a casual game than a skill-based game. I do suspect that a lot of frustration comes from this partial mismatch. A leaderboard, tournaments, strategy guides, etc, don't exactly invite to that kind of thinking though.

DanielVanciae

Yes, it's sincere. I should stop playing this and other games.