Offensive Language in Chat

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

Well that's fair. "This is the internet" is more of an excuse than a real reason for anything.

I guess I'd rather have other features that the client still needs than the comfort of knowing I won't be sworn at in chat, but I pretty much only play against my friends (largely due to some missing features, ironically) so my perspective isn't exactly unbiased.

dextrapunch

I stongly believe that a "report" button that does nothing more than wrapping the chat log and sending it to a moderator, which reads and bans whoever insults or use bad words, would solve everything.

In terms of computing, that doesn't require much coding, and it would do the job perfectly.

I think that the very existence of that button, visible and crystal clear, would discourage a lot of people.

dextrapunch

Another reason why I believe that the blacklist isn't the solution, is that it's abused.

If I start counting the number of times an user said me "Welcome to my blacklist" because, after a very nice and fair game, the user uses an action that draws cards, then asks undo, then I deny because he would have an advantage over me, I will keep counting forever.

twasa

dextrapunch, your argument almost boils down to: https://xkcd.com/386/.

It looks like AdamH also assumes english is the only language of games like Dominion. No. It has been translated in other languages online and irl. If there were to be a list of bad words, would that include German, French, Norwegian, Dutch etc, and the 13 official languages in my country? I've been insulted in languages other than English, only realising I've been insulted by using google translate.

However imperfect the reporting mechanism is, it is probably the best one can do against the Martin Gee type of trolls. They are determined to ruin your day and delight at escaping any attempt to prevent them.

Blacklist and move on.

dextrapunch

Quote from: twasa on 24 April 2018, 08:14:58 PM
dextrapunch, your argument almost boils down to: https://xkcd.com/386/.

It looks like AdamH also assumes english is the only language of games like Dominion. No. It has been translated in other languages online and irl. If there were to be a list of bad words, would that include German, French, Norwegian, Dutch etc, and the 13 official languages in my country? I've been insulted in languages other than English, only realising I've been insulted by using google translate.

However imperfect the reporting mechanism is, it is probably the best one can do against the Martin Gee type of trolls. They are determined to ruin your day and delight at escaping any attempt to prevent them.

Blacklist and move on.

Flawed. Report button, easy, unarguable.
I keep on having this strange feeling that there are people who are quite tolerant toward trolls.
I hope to be wrong.

AdamH

Quote from: twasa on 24 April 2018, 08:14:58 PM
It looks like AdamH also assumes english is the only language of games like Dominion.

I never said anything like this.

twasa

I don't want to belabor this. Trolls who trash talk and slow roll, are not playing Dominion, their game is something else, Dominion is just their platform. They would create a new account and get black listed by a few players within their first few games, a clear indication that the account should be investigated by a moderator and possibly banned.

I agree with AdamH that I would rather see development effort spent elsewhere than a report button.

Sorry AdamH, I wasn't trying to put words into your mouth. I was trying to say that a "dirty word list" is not practical, given that players can use any language. I was probably doing so in a too roundabout way.

sudhish86

Honestly, I would be concerned if there were more than just a blacklist, since that could be abused very easily. I have been banned or kicked in other games simply because I happened to be doing well in one single round. If they had checked any other data about me (win/loss% kill/death ratio, etc), it would have been very obvious I was not cheating. But, someone reported me and I either loss stats of a legitimate game, or I had to jump through hoops to have my account reinstated.

I am fine with the blacklist. I don't want an abused system.

Madadri

I came here to report someone. I already blacklisted them, but  feel more is needed. Where do I report?

dextrapunch

Quote from: Madadri on 30 April 2018, 03:17:17 AM
I came here to report someone. I already blacklisted them, but  feel more is needed. Where do I report?

Alas the trend is that bullies are free to behave the way they want.

Stef

Quote from: dextrapunch on 06 May 2018, 01:09:22 PM
Alas the trend is that bullies are free to behave the way they want.

no that's not true.

You are though.

blamelewis

Hi Madadri,

I believe the way blocking works is that once a player is blocked the moderators are automatically made aware - and if blocked by several people the moderators take note and look at banning them - so the reporting is automatic in that sense.

Sorry you had a bad experience but hopefully you'll find other people more civil!

Dextrapunch - it occurs to me you're arguing as if "no report" = "no consequences" which isn't true at all! The mods look into blocked players and take appropriate action, which I think's a decent compromise.

I'm sympathetic with the bad feeling caused when resigning a game if someone's being abusive - I feel it myself - it does feel like giving them what they want, but I trust that the mods do notice such things and take action. Maybe the problem is that we the user don't see any of the process after we block someone, so it does feel like that goes nowhere... but I think's Stef's right that we just need to let it go after blocking... We know that we won't personally be bothered again, and if the user makes a habit of being nasty they'll be banned in due course.

Best wishes
Tim

SkyHard

What I do not understand, why is there a link between blocking someone and the reporting? There are zillions of reasons to block someone, but most of them are not good reasons to report that person. And it does not seem obvious as many ask about it.

jeebus

I just blocked a highly rated player (I guess I can't say who) for just resigning me because I took too long to think about my turn at the end of the game. It was the kind of game where we draw our decks and the piles are running out. This is the first time I ever took that long (except maybe in a tournament once), and I didn't even realize that I had used my time. He didn't say a word, just resigned me and immediately left. I was actually just about to play and I think I would have won if I bought the right cards. Maybe he had realized it too and was behaving like a coward.

So anyway, yeah, there's many reasons to block somebody.

santamonica811

Jeebus,
I might cut the other guy some slack.  While I--of course--have no idea what actually happened in your game, isn't it possible that this was the 3rd game today where that guy had been (from his perspective) slow-played by other players?  And he could have said something in chat, but instead kept quiet (some would say: polite) and waited for the full time-period and only then did DQ you.  That seems pretty possible to me.  In other words, I would not impute bad motives to someone I do not know, unless some other factor(s) suggests this.

I'll point out that 4-5 minutes is an INCREDIBLY long time to think about a single move.  I could possibly see taking that long if you are playing a game with several cards that are new to you...but then we'd be taking a long time in the very beginning of the game (and presumably we would have sent a text like "Sorry--there are new cards for me.  I'll need a few minutes to read their text" to let the other person know why there's such a long delay.).

I know that just because I can't think of a kingdom where I would take more than a minute or two to make a move at the end of the game, that does not mean that no such kingdom exists.  But we can use your experience as a teachable moment...if we find ourselves taking more than a minute or two; we really should take 15 seconds out of our turn to send off a quick chat message: "Sorry about the delay, making a hard decision; will be just another minute."

Just a suggestion.  :-)