Offensive Language in Chat

Previous topic - Next topic

blamelewis

I'd further add that there's no way to know the difference between someone who is taking a long time to think and someone who has left their computer or otherwise abandoned the game - unless that person messages to say they are still thinking (In which case I'd always be fine with the delay) - so resigning someone after the time limit feels totally reasonable without any other communication.

Best wishes
Tim

Fastman

Hello everybody.

I have never posted here but today I was really surprised.
In game #14773810 an user, I'd tell you the name but the post would be edited, was offensive in a way I could never imagine.

His name referes to a character in a famous fiction that is able to see the future. I won and I just say "I bet you never see this coming" but it was a simple pun on its name, it wasn't mockery or the like.

Then the player replied "I AM SORRY FOR YOUR ASPERGER" and rage quitted.

Now, I worked with people who have the asperger disease. It's a serious thing. You can't joke on this. Really. You can call someone names and I managed to understand that you won't get banned or the like. I can see that.

But really, please, do not allow players to make fun out of people with serious problems.
Please don't.
Not caring about this leads to an ominous drift.

I don't want the player to get banned, because he would make another account and live on.
I would like if possible that the player gets a severe warning or something that helps him to understand that there are things you can joke on, and things you'd better not touch.

Thanks.

gitsticker8

I'm sorry, but it sounds like most of you need to toughen up a bit.  What trolls need is not a ban or a warning or anything of the sort. They need a better upbringing, better development of their character and core beliefs, better self-awareness and meaning in their lives.  If you're up to the task to provide these things to them, then be my guest.  In my opinion however, your time is much better spent focusing on yourself and the things you have control over, such as how much or little you let yourself become a victim of the trolling. 

This is why the most effective methods for dealing with trolls is granting everyone the power to ignore them effectively.  For example, muting chat.  By ignoring the troll, you beat the troll.  By being happy, you beat the troll.  By not caring if you beat the troll or not, you by definition beat the troll. 

If it helps, put a sticky note on the lower right corner of the screen to cover chat until /mutechat is implemented. 

arflutter

Quote from: josh bornstein on 18 May 2018, 01:23:48 AM
Jeebus,
I might cut the other guy some slack.

To be fair, I think that was kind of Jeebus's point. He doesn't think his opponent did anything objectively bad or that he should be banned, but he would prefer not to play against that opponent again. He can choose to blacklist the opponent, but is perhaps worried that this is tantamount to reporting him for abusive behaviour and asking that he be banned.

I often have the same dilemma. I personally like to think about my turns more than a lot of other people, and I have no problem with other people thinking as long as they like about theirs. If someone times out and I'm offered the chance to resign them, I always ask in the chat whether they're still there and give them another couple of minutes before I resign them even if their situation in the game is hopeless. I like to chat with my opponent about the game and learn something to help me play better even if I lose. But I get the fact that not everyone enjoys the same kind of game and that my slow play annoys some people to the extent that they would rather not play against me again. That doesn't mean I think they're bad people or deserve to be banned from playing, but naturally I would prefer to play against other people who enjoy the game the way I do. I feel that the best solution would be to be able to distinguish between saying "this is a perfectly decent human being but I don't want to be matched with them again" and saying "this person acted abusively and should be banned from the game".

Personally I don't think that the option to mute the chat achieves anything useful. In my experience the trolls usually wait until the end of the game and then just post a single abusive comment. I'm not going to mute chat in every game just on the off chance that my opponent might by the kind of person to post an abusive comment when they lose.

And finally I don't think looking for specific swear words serves any useful purpose at all. Perhaps there are people who would be terribly offended if their opponent typed "Bad luck! You had some really shitty draws that game" but wouldn't care if their opponent wrote "I hope you die, you stupid moron", but I'd venture that they're few and far between. And even they could be better dealt with by having the option to express a preference not to be matched with this person again without having to "blacklist" them.

arflutter

...and by the way (as if my previous post wasn't long and boring enough), I certainly don't think that paying a few bucks a month to play the game means I have a God-given right to be protected from people who might behave abusively. There's only so much the mods can do to stop banned users simply creating new accounts, and I'm grateful for their efforts, especially if they're unpaid volunteers. I'm just trying to make suggestions to make the system even better.

jsh

You are not getting someone banned for blacklisting them. The # of blacklists is only a data point. Please don't let this be a moral quandary for you. Blacklist whoever you don't want to play with and leave it at that.

jeebus

There was no way my opponent thought I was slowplaying them. It was clear that it was a complicated turn at the end of the game, and that I was thinking about how to play it. Slowplaying looks completely differently. Slowplaying is making each click super slow. I was never doing that.

It actually happened to me again right now. The player asked something (in Japanese), I said that I was sorry but the turn was very complicated, then he resigned me. The horrible thing is that the interface gives you no warning. At least tell me when I only have some seconds left!

And to answer josh bornstein about what kind of kingdom can make this happen. This one involved Crown, King's Court, Fairgrounds, Pilgrimage and Stonemason. On my last turn I had to figure out what to KC and Crown, what Crowns to save for the buy phase, whether to trash something with Stonemason, whether to buy Stonemasons, what to use my Pilgrimage for (token was facedown), what my Fairgrounds were worth if I trashed, kept or gained certain cards - and all of this because I might have the opportunity to end the game before my opponent's next big turn. I was one VP down at this point. Reloading the game, I see that I actually could have won by Stonemasoning a Gold into a Duchy and a Crown, Pligrimaging a Crown and a Haunted Woods, Crowning a Silver, and buying two Stonemasons to empty the Crowns and Haunted Woods for a three-pile. This is like a puzzle that can't always be solved in 4-5 minutes.

Fastman

Hello,

I did as I was told to. When the player started to slowplay on purpose and insult me in chat, I noticed the game number "#17477767", resigned and blacklist the opponent.

I therefore ask the match not be counted in ranked matches.

THanks.