Kingdom display feature

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

This feature looks really good and I'm glad I can finally uninstall the extension :-D It works really well for almost all of the kingdoms.

There is still one place where it is a little weird, though. For split piles (Encampment/Plunder, Patrician/Emporium, Catapult/Rocks, Settlers/Bustling Village, Gladiator/Fortune, Sauna/Avanto), both of the cards in the pile appear in-line with the supply cards, meaning that it looks like there are 11 or more cards in the supply. This causes there to be more than two rows, and then there ends up being a row on top with just one card on it.

The point of this feature is to be able to display all of the cards on-screen that are in the kingdom, this is a lot less effective when there are more than just the two rows of five cards visible. With the only exception being Young Witch, the main ten kingdom cards should just be displayed before anything else at all.

Page, Peasant, Knights, and Castles work beautifully. The interface for any of these would work just fine for the split piles. It could just show the top card of the pile in the two main rows and then have the bottom card appear below, or it could show the randomizer card in the two main rows and show the individual cards below.

This feature is really important and I'm glad it was integrated into the main client -- I don't know of any other tool for visualizing kingdoms at all that exists anywhere (and has all cards from all expansions), and I use kingdom visualizers at least one a week consistently (not even including all the times where this is useful to have up when broadcasting games). Having two rows that just tell you what kingdom cards are in the pile is the heart of this feature, so having it work for split piles would make this feature complete.

Ingix

I agree that the '11th card syndrom' is not a nice thing to have.

OTOH, the bottom card of a split pile is not less 'in the Kingdom' than all the other cards. I would argue that showing that card in an easily viewable position is even more important than the other Kingdom cards, because you cannot see that card in the normal play area view at all.

That said, your argument is absolutely relevant and I'll see if I can find a way to implement it.

AdamH

Uhh sure, I suppose the bottom cards of split piles shouldn't be under something that says "non-supply piles" or something. I'm glad you're on it -- this feature vastly improves the user experience.

JW

Quote from: AdamH on 05 April 2018, 01:23:34 PM
There is still one place where it is a little weird, though. For split piles (Encampment/Plunder, Patrician/Emporium, Catapult/Rocks, Settlers/Bustling Village, Gladiator/Fortune, Sauna/Avanto), both of the cards in the pile appear in-line with the supply cards, meaning that it looks like there are 11 or more cards in the supply. This causes there to be more than two rows, and then there ends up being a row on top with just one card on it.

Knights and Castles work beautifully. The interface for any of these would work just fine for the split piles. It could just show the top card of the pile in the two main rows and then have the bottom card appear below, or it could show the randomizer card in the two main rows and show the individual cards below.

I suggest using the randomizer card for all split piles. For any of the split piles, the randomizer card clarifies which cards are in the pile (and for Patrician/Emporium and Catapult/Rocks, neither card in the pile refers to the other one, so it might not even be clear at first that the Emporiums are below the Patricians!), the order of the cards in those piles, and how many are there. For example, the randomizer card tells you that there are 5 Patricians in the pile, followed by 5 Emporiums.

JKRich

I appreciate this new feature also. One tweak I wish would be made is to move where "Kingdom/Play Area" appears above the log. While this feature might be used more now while it's new, in general use "Trash/Log" will be used far, far more often and I personally wish it would be returned to the left end of the clickable options above the log.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: JKRich on 06 April 2018, 05:25:32 PM
I appreciate this new feature also. One tweak I wish would be made is to move where "Kingdom/Play Area" appears above the log. While this feature might be used more now while it's new, in general use "Trash/Log" will be used far, far more often and I personally wish it would be returned to the left end of the clickable options above the log.

Seconded.

Ingix