Possession in Black Market

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Martin

It was my understanding that Possession had been discreetly removed from the game, but I bought it just now via the Black Market. I then proceeded to win by a huge margin a game that I had hitherto been losing hopelessly.

If Possession has indeed been removed from the main game, then it should also be removed from the Black Market.

Ingix

I don't know if this is an oversight (I assume it is) or deliberate.

Usually the reasons given for not wanting to play with Possession are that it *can* turn a game into a 'how can I make my deck as bad as possible' contest, as players may be playing more with their opponent's deck than their own.

If there is a single Possession in the game (in the Black Market deck) that one cannot plan on from the start of the game, then I personally think that Possession is as swingy as any other good card that only one player has access to: Can be deciding, or can be irrelevant, depending on circumstances.

santamonica811

Also (speaking as a person who hates the Possession card), you--obviously--had to buy a Potion card and had to have it in hand when you played your Black Market card...plus having 6 coins, of course.  Were there other Potion cards in the kingdom?  If not, it's pretty rare for a player to waste an early turn spending 4 coins on a Potion card that may end up being relatively worthless [eg Transmute].  So, I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to have Possession in a Black Market supply.  If you get it early in the game, then the game is probably over for me.  But if you can't get it till quite late in the game, then you've wasted more opportunity costs than you've gained.  (This example is one reason why I like the change in rules, so that we cannot see which cards are in the BM supply...knowing that Possession is in BM would completely change the game strategy for pretty much all players, I am guessing.)

(Of course, if I've bought a Masquerade and Possession does turn up, then I'm probably screwed, even if I am way ahead.  I lost one game where my possessed Masquerade passed 2 Colonies to my opponent late in the game, and turned a blowout for me into a blowout for my opponent.  I still remember that game [grumble grumble])    :-)