Features I'd like to see

Previous topic - Next topic

JewDude93

The web platform has improved greatly since it first took over the old client. However, there are still many features we don't have that should be implemented. Here's a list of features I'd personally like to see and am sure I'm not alone in wanting.

- Direct invite system from table so friends can easily join
- Private tables to prevent random people from joining
- Hidden table while changing the set up so people don't join expecting you ready to go
- Save setup function that lets you name and easily set up the same table in the future - current game # system is terrible
- Single set subscriptions/purchases
- Permanent ownership of sets
- Direct Messaging capability between players
- Desktop/Mobile application, much like what the original client had that is gone now. This is what I was most upset to lose as I played most of my games on my phone app.
- Sound/Notification settings and muting capability
- Ability to edit the random card selection pool so certain cards don't show up when allowing random cards
- Timed turns setting (to prevent someone from sitting on a turn and forcing the game to end)
- Customize game rules to do things like add more platinum, turn off the 3 pile end game trigger, have more card piles, etc.

I'm sure there's more, but this is my list right now.

santamonica811

Ability to edit the random card selection pool so certain cards don't show up when allowing random cards

I'm pretty sure this is already in place.

Permanent ownership of sets

Almost no one on this site will disagree with you.  It's a bit of a ripoff as it is.  But it's the only game in town, so they are able to take advantage of that situation.  Ah well.  I am surprised that they decided to not have two tiers...here's the cost for one year of use of Expansion X.  And for twice that cost, you have a lifetime of access to that expansion--AS LONG AS we own the online rights to the game, of course.

Save setup function that lets you name and easily set up the same table in the future

A ton of people have been asking for this, for months and months.  I have no doubt that they are actively working to implement this...I cannot imagine that it's too difficult to code this feature into the game.

Customize game rules to do things like add more platinum, turn off the 3 pile end game trigger, have more card piles, etc.

Those are interesting ideas.  My guess is that some would be fairly easy to code it, and others would be pretty difficult.  I think it would be a good idea for the site operators to run a poll: What extra features like this are people most interested in?  My guess is that the site's response to this request would possibly be: Hey, those rule deviations--like Free Parking Money in Monopoly--are great, and perfect for games in real life, with your friends.  But, given the complexity of programming them, our resources are better directed at fixing the actual bugs, and at Making Lord Rat play better!!!  :-)

Ingix

Quote from: josh bornstein on 23 April 2018, 11:49:29 PM
Ability to edit the random card selection pool so certain cards don't show up when allowing random cards

I'm pretty sure this is already in place.

Not really. You can take out complete expansions from the random selection, but (besides 'abusing' Familiar Cards) I don't know of any other such feature.

santamonica811

Ingix,
Okay, thanks.  I guess I am not understanding why I went into the "Familiar Cards" tab and selected and deselected specific cards...I had thought that was to specifically address the OP's request--that you can get a random deck of cards, but still ensure that certain cards will *not* be part of that kingdom.

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: josh bornstein on 23 April 2018, 11:49:29 PM
Permanent ownership of sets

Almost no one on this site will disagree with you.  It's a bit of a ripoff as it is.  But it's the only game in town, so they are able to take advantage of that situation.  Ah well.  I am surprised that they decided to not have two tiers...here's the cost for one year of use of Expansion X.  And for twice that cost, you have a lifetime of access to that expansion--AS LONG AS we own the online rights to the game, of course.

I certainly disagree with this.

I like being able to play Dominion online. I like it enough that I'm willing to pay to keep the lights on and to see new cards added and new features developed.
I don't know if the current business model is the best one, but it seems more sustainable than one without a consistent revenue stream.

santamonica811

Cave,
I certainly respect your different perspective, and I'd never try to convince someone "Hey, you should feel aggrieved about something you're currently happy about!"   ;D

I totally agree with you that, if one wanted to ensure that Dominion online continues for many years, having an ongoing revenue stream makes this much more likely.

My opinion is informed by me buying the "lifetime" subscription at the old site just a (relatively) short while before the old site went out of business.  If I had bought this subscription several years earlier, then I'd probably feel I got fair value for my money.  But I didn't, so I don't...if that makes any sense.  :)

Obviously, I feel like this site is a decent value, or I would not continue to give it my money.  But Donald X got some percentage of my money at the old site, and he obviously had the ability (when negotiating his deal with Shuffle) to insist that "legacy" lifetime subscriptions be honored.  He chose not to do this, and that was entirely within his rights.  But a lot of us felt some resentment about this decision, and it is--of course--entirely within our rights to remind people of this.  I got the free year, and that is certainly not nothing.  But it was definitely not (IMO) a "fair" offer. 

I strongly support your right to argue that I'm wrong to feel this way, or to point out other factors that I've overlooked or failed to mention.  Having an open forum, where people are free to vigorously (but politely) disagree is a sign of health, and will not--I hope--be seen as a sign of weakness in our new Dominion home.  I'm quite positive about how this site has implemented the game, and I'm pleased that they are making some efforts (albeit at a glacial pace, often) to address bugs or suggested changes).

I do not claim to speak for the majority of older players...I have no idea what each individual person is thinking or feeling, of course.  But I doubt I am the only person who has some lingering resentment about how the move to the new site was handled.  It's not a big deal for me.  It's not even a small deal for me.  But it's not "no problem at all" for me, either.  :-)

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: josh bornstein on 26 April 2018, 11:54:01 PM
My opinion is informed by me buying the "lifetime" subscription at the old site just a (relatively) short while before the old site went out of business.  If I had bought this subscription several years earlier, then I'd probably feel I got fair value for my money.  But I didn't, so I don't...if that makes any sense.  :)

Thanks for the respectful counter-response. Sadly a rarity these days when people disagree. I can certainly appreciate that sentiment. I'd like to think that Goko/whoever selling people a "lifetime subscription" to a service they didn't have "lifetime rights" to was done in good faith, but I kind of doubt it. They were either con artists or inept or some combination of both.

Maybe someone could track down this guy and ask him how the business model was supposed to work.

fisherman

Quote from: josh bornstein on 26 April 2018, 11:54:01 PM

But Donald X got some percentage of my money at the old site, and he obviously had the ability (when negotiating his deal with Shuffle) to insist that "legacy" lifetime subscriptions be honored.  He chose not to do this, and that was entirely within his rights.  But a lot of us felt some resentment about this decision, and it is--of course--entirely within our rights to remind people of this.  I got the free year, and that is certainly not nothing.  But it was definitely not (IMO) a "fair" offer. 

It seems that DXV actually got almost no money from the old site because you weren't the only one being scammed by the people running it. http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15162.msg588309#msg588309