Feature request: give chance to resign when quitting browser window

Previous topic - Next topic

vinay

I've had a few games lately where the other player has disconnected during my last turn or at some point where it was obvious that they would lose. Currently, I am waiting for my opponent to time out because I had to play a militia to get 8 to buy the last province, and they disconnected.

These don't appear to be malicious players, I think that they're thinking that they are quitting, but in reality, they are forcing their other player to wait for 5 minutes to force them to resign.

A little javascript can pop up a window when the user closes their browser window that asks them if they meant to resign, which would prevent this from happening accidentally.

vinay

Bumping this. It's a feature that should be relatively easy to implement and I think would be welcomed by most.

LastFootnote

I hate hate hate it when a site pops up a dialog when I try to close its tab/window. I do not appreciate having my browser hijacked. Now if there's some way to send a message to the server without popping up a dialog or otherwise disrupting the browser, I'm tentatively for it. If not, I'm against doing this. Having to occasionally wait for a user to time out is a small price to pay for not having a terrible dialog pop up.

And to be clear, I try to always resign if I have to suddenly leave a game. I still don't want this feature.

Donald X.

I agree that a dialog box that appears when you try to close a window is extremely odious.

Couldn't closing the window just automatically resign you? I'm not sure why we need to ask there. You closed the window.

LastFootnote

From my cursory research, that would also make refreshing the page resign you.

And in general we want people to be able to quit their browsers and the re-enter a game, perhaps even on a different machine. I've done that more than once.

Donald X.

Quote from: LastFootnote on 23 June 2018, 03:30:15 PM
From my cursory research, that would also make refreshing the page resign you.

And in general we want people to be able to quit their browsers and the re-enter a game, perhaps even on a different machine. I've done that more than once.
Maybe it could put you on a faster timer? We know you aren't thinking.

markus

I guess there are people who don't know that closing the window doesn't resign the game. So it might be good to have that popup but also allow disabling it in the option.

vinay

An option to disable the pop-up would be fine, but also strikes me as unnecessary. "Close the browser before resigning the game" should be something that pretty much never happens; I know it's annoying to have something pop up when you are trying to exit something, but considering that it would only pop up in the rare instance where you are quitting when a game is running, it shouldn't affect you very often - and in the cases where it does, it's a good thing. If you're always resigning before you leave, you'll never even see the popup.

I wouldn't really want to give a faster timer for users who disconnect - there are times where you lose connection and it's legitimate to give players a decent chance to reconnect in those cases.