Black markt + Crown + Fool's Gold

Previous topic - Next topic

katie_mi

#14176437 I played blck market and wanted to crown fools gold. Instead Crown only gave me one coin and didn't crown the fools gold. I undid the playing of treasures and didn't buy from the blackmarket. At the regualr buy at the end of the turn I could crown the fool's gold for 5 money.

Martin plays Piano

Hi Katie,
playing a Black Market is still part of the action phase of your turn, even though you have a buy embedded. I assume because of your still running action phase a Crown is only able to duplicate an action card, but not a treasure card (like Fool's Gold). This will only happen in your buy phase afterwards, where the crowned Fool's Gold worked properly.

Have fun
Rachmaninoff

ryan.echternacht

Sorry for reviving this old post, but I had never thought of this

So anytime crown is played during your action phase, it's a "throne room". Based off of this comment from the wiki:

QuoteIf you play Crown in your Action phase via something that lets you play Treasures (like Storyteller from Dominion: Adventures), Crown will still play an Action card twice.

Does that mean if I play a storyteller, and put a crown into play. The crown is really a throne room. So I could play:

Storyteller > Crown > Swindler (x2) > have $5 > draw 5 from Storyteller

markus

Yes. Same for Black Market.
Essentially it becomes a Throne Room that doesn't cost you 1 Action to play in those cases.

Ingix

The important thing to understand is: Cards are just played. They are not played as Actions, or as Treasures or as Nights, they are just played. The (on-play) instructions on the card tell you what it does, and very rarely (Crown, Werwolve) that includes dependencies on what phase this is.

Being a Treasure, Action or Night just regulates when they can be played (and may be of importance for other effects like Courtier, Scrying Pool, etc.)