Black Market/Crown: Maybe a Bug

Previous topic - Next topic

squirezucco

I don't know if this is a bug or not, or maybe just a quirk.
When you play black market, you can play your treasures. If you play a crown as one of the treasures, you can use it as a throne room to play another action in the middle of the black market action, even if you have no actions remaining. That doesn't seem right, since you were playing the crown as a treasure.
See turn 18 of #14360895 to see my doing that against Lord Rattington.

Is this the intention of the Donald ? The wording of the card would suggest it's permitted, but it seems that the intention was that the top parts is "when played as an action" and the bottom is "When played as a treasure."

Cave-O-Sapien

Quote from: squirezucco on 09 May 2018, 08:25:13 PM
I don't know if this is a bug or not, or maybe just a quirk.
When you play black market, you can play your treasures. If you play a crown as one of the treasures, you can use it as a throne room to play another action in the middle of the black market action, even if you have no actions remaining. That doesn't seem right, since you were playing the crown as a treasure.
See turn 18 of #14360895 to see my doing that against Lord Rattington.

Is this the intention of the Donald ? The wording of the card would suggest it's permitted, but it seems that the intention was that the top parts is "when played as an action" and the bottom is "When played as a treasure."

This is correct behavior. The only thing that defines how a Crown acts is the phase in which it is played. You'll get into trouble trying to divine the "intention" of the card. Just follow its instructions.

So if something lets you play a Treasure during your action phase, you follow the "Acton phase" part of Crown's instructions.

(Note that this also applies to playing Crown due to Storyteller)

Ingix

Correct. Please note that Crown in fact has not two modes, but two clauses, the first checking that/if you are in your Action phase and the second that/if you are in your Buy phase. Always both clauses are checked (in order), and it is only the 'limited' set of existing cards that makes it true that always exactly one will apply.

If the order of the clauses was reversered (first checking for Buy phase, then for Action phase), you could have both effects happen, for example by Crowing a Horn of Plenty and gaining a Villa with it. Once you are done with triggered effects, you are in your Action phase, so that reversed version of Crown would now allow you to double play an Action card.

Basically it was this card (the first Action/Treasure) that established the fact that cards are just played (according to the rules), they are not 'played as an Action' or 'played as a Treasure'.

Cave-O-Sapien

This also means you can call Royal Carriage to play a Crown again during your Buy phase.