Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Smugglers gain is mandatory  (Read 89 times)

Offline AdamH

• View Profile
Smugglers gain is mandatory
« on: 10 May 2018, 01:42:34 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoVkvrIUWrs&t=9m30s

In this video clip we see that the only card the opponent gained on his last turn was Gold. We play a Smugglers, so the only legal option here is to gain a Gold, but there's a button allowing us to not gain anything.

Once the Smugglers is played, if there's a legal option for something to gain, they have to choose it, they can't just choose nothing. The "Don't Gain" button should never appear here.

Offline fisherman

• View Profile
Re: Smugglers gain is mandatory
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2018, 02:33:49 PM »
The opponent also gained a wisp on the previous turn. So in this case you can legally gain nothing from Smugglers by trying to gain a wisp with it (and failing because it is not in the supply).

Offline AdamH

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2018, 04:00:39 PM »
In this case, it might not be a bug, but the interface is pretty misleading. Can you click on Will-o-Wisp to choose to try and gain it?

Offline Ingix

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2018, 06:10:56 PM »
I don't think you can. But I wouldn't call it misleading. It presents you with the 2 real options you have: Gain a Gold, or gain nothing. It's doing part of the work you'd have to do in an IRL game (remembering which cards where gained), and not communicating to you why there is this 'Gain nothing' option.

I'd say it could be called misleading (even though it would be technically correct) when it apparently gave you the option to gain a Will-O'-Wisp, and if you wanted to take it, and it said "Fooled you, you can't gain it!".

Offline AdamH

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2018, 06:35:43 PM »
I agree this would be simpler, but the card says to do a thing and it's not doing what the card says. I thought this decision was made with Hamlet, where we sacrificed UI to do what the card actually said.

It's not a great situation that the card can't be changed, but taking shortcuts in the UI to cut out what's happening can be just as confusing as what's on the card. At least doing what's on the card is consistent.

Offline Cave-O-Sapien

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2018, 06:38:56 PM »
I don't think you can. But I wouldn't call it misleading. It presents you with the 2 real options you have: Gain a Gold, or gain nothing. It's doing part of the work you'd have to do in an IRL game (remembering which cards where gained), and not communicating to you why there is this 'Gain nothing' option.

I'd say it could be called misleading (even though it would be technically correct) when it apparently gave you the option to gain a Will-O'-Wisp, and if you wanted to take it, and it said "Fooled you, you can't gain it!".

That behavior is inconsistent with other "failed gaining" behavior in the game. For example, Pilgrimage will let you pick non-supply cards, such as "upgraded" travelers and heirlooms.