Debt should display with coins

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

After the 55th time that I forgot I had debt because it was in a tiny icon in the corner of my screen, I decided to post here about this.

Why doesn't the debt a player currently has display with the coins they have? Like, it can be other places too but it really should be there. My coins and my potions are there, so there should totally be an icon there to show me how much debt I have.

amoffett11

Coins and Potions are something you generate over the course of a turn.  In the same way that Coin Tokens you generate (or have) won't be added to this total, Debt tokens shouldn't be displayed there either.  If I saw Debt tokens there I might think I had accumulated that debt this turn. 

I do the same thing quite often playing in real life; I buy something and don't realize until my opponent's turn that I had debt I didn't pay.  I've never blamed the game designer though for not forcing me to put my debt tokens on top of the kingdom cards so I don't forget, I've just said "well that was stupid" and I try to remember next time. 

Ingix

In real life you can do whatever suits you best to 'not overlook' debt. In this online implementation, where the interface is fixed, it is a good idea to make it as obvious as possible what's going on and may affect you this turn.

So on this I'm with Adam: Everything that can be done to push the relevant information in front of a player's eyes when it is relevant but before it becomes enforced by the game is a good idea. Like you/Adam it sometimes happens that I'm 'surprised' by the fact that the $8 I accumulated will not be enough to buy a Province, since 1 or 2 debt are still remaining.

AdamH

Quote from: amoffett11 on 23 May 2018, 05:56:20 PM
Coins and Potions are something you generate over the course of a turn.  In the same way that Coin Tokens you generate (or have) won't be added to this total, Debt tokens shouldn't be displayed there either.  If I saw Debt tokens there I might think I had accumulated that debt this turn. 

States are displayed here and haven't caused confusion (the lack of states there caused all sorts of problems). It also doesn't matter whether or not you got a state or debt or whatever during your turn, I'm not seeing how this "confusion" would even be bad.

This argument suggests to me that coin tokens should probably be displayed here as well, actually.

EDIT: when I play IRL I put my debt tokens in the middle of my play area where they will annoy me, otherwise I don't notice them and they frequently get forgotten.

blamelewis

I know it'd be a beast to implement but wouldn't "free floating" things like coin tokens and debt tokens be neat - then you could do the virtual equivalent of putting them somewhere obvious to avoid forgetting them...

Stef

Quote from: AdamH on 22 May 2018, 02:38:00 PM
...so there should totally be an icon there to show me how much debt I have.

I fully agree.

ryan.echternacht

I wanted to call out that this was implemented. Yahooooo!!!