Trolls

Previous topic - Next topic

Seprix

Man you are the worst "troll" I have ever seen, you're grasping at straws and to boot you're not funny in the slightest

santamonica811

...But he is pretty polite on this forum, and he states his position clearly.  I disagree entirely with his "pro-trolling in games" strategy, but I always appreciate people who are upfront and direct...even when I disagree with them.

Donald X.

Anyone can play Dominion itself for free online, and can play with all the expansions just by clicking the button and waiting.

Making a physical game didn't require us to provide a free online game. Would you believe. And the online version is made by someone who has to eat like anyone else.

DominionTroll

Quote from: Seprix on 20 June 2018, 12:23:27 AM
Man you are the worst "troll" I have ever seen, you're grasping at straws and to boot you're not funny in the slightest

I am ok with not being funny because I have never had such intent.
Au contraire I would be worried if while speaking seriously somebody picked up me as funny.

And exactly where do I grasp at straws? Tell me, I'll be glad to prove you wrong.

kieranmillar

https://medium.com/humane-tech/the-immortal-myths-about-online-abuse-a156e3370aee

QuoteOur communities are defined by the worst things that we permit to happen. What we allow tells the world who we are.

Online Dominion for some bizarre reason seems to have long been plagued by a small number of people who seem to enjoy trolling like crazy, even before this particular site. I don't get it. Anybody who sets out to make other users of the site feel bad or angry during their games by consistently trash talking strangers should be banned. It's not a "strategy", you're just trying to excuse the dopamine rush you get by being an antisocial asshole in the place where what you say has no permanent public record.

DominionTroll

Quote from: kieranmillar on 20 June 2018, 08:37:32 AM
https://medium.com/humane-tech/the-immortal-myths-about-online-abuse-a156e3370aee

QuoteOur communities are defined by the worst things that we permit to happen. What we allow tells the world who we are.

Online Dominion for some bizarre reason seems to have long been plagued by a small number of people who seem to enjoy trolling like crazy, even before this particular site. I don't get it. Anybody who sets out to make other users of the site feel bad or angry during their games by consistently trash talking strangers should be banned. It's not a "strategy", you're just trying to excuse the dopamine rush you get by being an antisocial asshole in the place where what you say has no permanent public record.

No.
It's just strategy, in fact I have apologized after winning many times if I got bad teplies in the chat window and realized that I was hurting somebody's feelings.
One time I even resigned because I felt I pushed too far.
And, since I have been banned for having used the F word, I would expect you being banned for calling me an asshole point blank without me having ever insulted you or something like that.
But I'm confident it won't happen.

Luckily enough I have been called polite by people who simply get things for what they are and don't make movies out of some sentences read on a forum.

EDIT: As for the link you posted, all that bunch of nonsense means you literally read NOTHING I've wrote because I clearly stated that I never trolled people for their gender, sexual orientation, race or something like that, which also can't be determined by a pure nickname (maybe gender, but maybe). For the rest of the link, alas, I say it's a bunch of nonsense victimism.

I must repeat myself (sigh): I only troll as a psychologic strategy to win a game. After the game is over, the trolling ends with that.

doubledukes74

In reading all of these responses, particularly from DominionTroll, I'm struck by the fact that so many people seem to lose sight of the fact this is a GAME. It is supposed to be recreational, something that makes us all feel good, and to be a respite from our real lives. It's too bad there isn't a way for those of us who are more casual to have a way to find each other on the site. For example, for those folks who want to ban "undo" perhaps that is something folks can add to their profile and it could be a matching setting.

DominionTroll - you should really reconsider your life choices if you need to resort to tearing people down on an online game just so you might have a better chance of winning. Also, please post your gaming handle so I can pre-emptively blacklist you. Personally I never want to encounter you in the game.

blamelewis

Yeah I second that... Trolling is just a strategy is it? Then be honest and tell us your username so we can avoid your rotten strategy.... thanks!

T.

kieranmillar

DominionTroll, it astounds me that you think you deserve to be treated with respect despite your obnoxious in-game behaviour merely because you try to act polite when other people are watching. I challenge you to go to a real-life board game meetup and behave the way you do in-game and then try to drop these same justifications against them, that acting horrible is OK because "it's just a strategy". You never will of course, because you only behave this way in private when you think you can get away with it. You are not a shining beacon amongst a sea of foul-mouthed banshees, you're a two-faced hypocrite. Your attempt to claim the moral high-ground is absurd.

Your paper-thin attempts to claim that your behaviour is acceptable because it's "just a strategy to win the game" is merely a refusal to accept the consequences of your actions. You are only lying to yourself. You try to justify it to yourself by telling yourself that it's OK because it's in pursuit of a more noble goal, winning the game. That the ends justify the means. But they do not. The fact that you say you have occasionally felt bad about is telling. It's why you jump through so many hoops to try and pass off your behaviour as being for a greater cause. Because if you had to actually face up to the consequences of what you are doing you wouldn't be able to handle it.

The separation between in-game and out-of-game behaviour is not a large as you think, it's actually non-existent. There are not two different societies here, the same people occupy both worlds.

SomeBunnyNewt1

Quote"did you guys actually playtest Rebuild?"

Hey now, we would never ask that.  "Did you actually playtest Sauna/Avanto", maybe.  Definitely.  But not Rebuild.

But I kid.

Seriously, it would be nice if people who have a PAID subscription have the option to not be auto-matched with jerks who create random accounts.  If, say, a player has fewer than 30 games and/or more than a 25% block rate, then exclude them from automatch with people who have paid, or at least give that option.

DominionTroll

I find the arguments "It's just a game something to chill people out" and "You shouldn't act this because this is as valid as real life" very contradictory.

Either it's a game, or it's a real life behaviour. It can't be both things at the same time.

Most great poker players are irritating and frustrating. It's part of the character who plays that.
There are many psychological strategy to win at poker. For instance, if you act arrogant when having an heavy hand and winning the pot, and you have nothing in hand and you still play arrogant, that will inculcate fear of losing in the opponents so they will be cautious even if you had nothing in hand.

And so on.

I'm not here insulting people. That happened once and I got banned. Fine. I've been insulted here in the forum, called an asshole and I don't see banning here. It's not me being hypocritical. I would have been if I didn't accept my ban peacefully. I did. I lost my account forever. Gone. Perfect, I cope with that. So, if the player that called me an asshole isn't banned, well that's hypocritical and that's a double standard.

I just felt that I went too far when even saying "you're lucky aren't you?" or "Do you acknowledge you have 1 tournament and 1 province over 40 cards and you got them in the same hand while I have 3/3 and still I can't pair them?" and something like that, the person I was playing with was overreacting. There, the fun of winning by using psychological strategies ends.

Other psychological issues may be I make on purpose a totally stupid move (I use this strategy playing Chess more often) so that your opponent begins to underestimate you and relaxes, then when he doesn't expect you lay a very good move one from which he cannot recover. In Dominion this works too.

If you rely only upon having the best cards combination, you play half of the game, imho.

And I honestly think that if people here seems to feel entitled to tell me what to do with my life, or judge me from above for my deeds, well, I feel just that this is odd, because you should say such unconsiderate things only about people you know very well. I'm polite. I'm explaining my reasons. If you like them that's fine because that makes two of us. If you dislike them, try to cope with, for I won't change a bit only because the random internet guy asks me for it.

EDIT:

I will add only one thing. Of course this is just my opinion and I live peacefully when meeting people who disagree with that, but I really think that if you feel the irrepressible urge to report someone just because he said you are a F.M0R0N then I am actually very very amazed. I mean, I didn't know I were in a church or something like that, I thought we were all adults and, really, imho, if you feel ABUSED because of a random guy insulting you on internet, then you have experienced NO problems in life. Probably all of your relatives are alive, you never experienced hunger, you never had to make debts to pay your bills or something like that, really. I don't expect people agreeing with me on that, and this is why I feel OK with being banned. But while I'd feel to report someone who insults women, gay people, black people, dead people, ill people or that BECAUSE of their illness/sex/etc, a random insult is nothing to me and I have been insulted many times and I never reported anyone. :)