Feature Request: Autoplay options for Torturer, including "always gain curse."

Previous topic - Next topic

vinay

So often I am in games that get slowed down because the curses have run out, and each time someone plays a torturer, the other players all need to click "don't discard." There are some limited circumstances where you *do* want to discard, given the option (possibly games with watchtower, tunnel, etc) but the overwhelming majority of the time, you just never want to discard for the rest of the game.

Would be great to have an autoplay option that did this.

santamonica811

I think there are so many cards that would be exceptions (the ones you mentioned, plus Library, Jack of All Trades, Cursed Village...and probably others that are not coming directly to my mind), that it would make implementation less than ideal.

Having said that; I agree with you that, in games with Torturer, it can get annoying to have to repeatedly click on a button that is unnecessary in that particular game--once the curses have run out.

AdamH

I've played about 5000 games and this exception has happened for me in one game. Autoplay can always be changed in-game.

vinay

Josh: even if there are exceptions, the option would be disabled by default like most autoplay options. The point of autoplay isn't to cover every case, it's to cover common and annoying cases. For example, with Moat's autoplay, there are a couple cases where you would prefer to get attacked (discard attacks in particular), but most of the time you just want moat to autoreveal. I don't see any reason why exceptions mean that the implementation is "less than ideal" - I think not having this feature is strictly worse than having it.

santamonica811

Agreed.  I really can't see how having opt-in options are a bad thing, and I should have made that more clear.  My only objection (concern, really) is in the coding.  I could see several things being relatively complicated to program.  But other things--like, "always do X" or "never do X" would be very easy to program.

I see having options as an almost universally positive thing.  (And I have posted, elsewhere on this forum, at my bemusement that Donald X has been adamant that certain options will *not* be offered.)

vinay

I don't think the coding needs to be complicated (and I say this as someone who codes for a living.) There's no need to code for all the special cases where someone might not want to discard - just give a radio button to never discard or give an option to discard or not, and it's finished.

vinay

Bumping this feature request; this continues to be annoying on Torturer games.

Puk

I actually think that right now Torturer isn't correct implemented. I think that even after the curses  run out, you should still choose between the options "Gain curse" and "discard two cards", even if the curses have run out. I think you should check for yourself "The curses have run out, so i better choose "gain curse". I think the game right now thinks to much for you.
And then naturally it would be nice to have the autoplay option "Always gain curse"

vinay

Bumping this again. Played another torturer game where this really slowed us down, as it often happens. I guess all that's needed is an "always gain curse" autoplay option which players could select after all the curses are gone. I hope this wouldn't be very hard to implement.