Coward Gaming Culture - Resigning When Loosing

Previous topic - Next topic

themystic111

I just want to speak on the topic of users resigning from games when they realize they're loosing. It is SO frustrating and disincentives players from improving their ratings. Thoughts?

>:(

yed

It is ok to resign 2 player game when you don't have a chance to win.

Stef

Quote from: themystic111 on 17 June 2018, 08:56:42 AM
I just want to speak on the topic of users resigning from games when they realize they're loosing. It is SO frustrating and disincentives players from improving their ratings. Thoughts?

>:(

I also resign when I think I'm lost. In fact, I consider it an insult to my opponent if I play on in such cases.

Can you explain your point of view?

markus

Also to clarify: there's nothing better that can happen to your rating than your opponent reisgning. (With 2 players it counts the same as a normal win. With 3 players it counts roughly as if you'd ended up first.)

lsmsrbls

I think it's polite to resign when losing.  It allows another game to start and is considerate of your opponent's time.

santamonica811

My guess is that the OP is a beginning player (beginning re online Dominion, that is).  When I first started playing online, I also did not understand people resigning against me.  Took a few weeks for me to get the point. 

I still believe that it's good manners to spend 10 seconds, typing, "GG.  Another one?" Or 3 seconds typing "GG" if you want to resign and leave/find a new opponent.  But that's a different subject, I guess.

blamelewis

I second what Josh says - a quick "you've got this one, gg" or some such in the chat would go a long way to helping players understand why an opponent resigns...

I don't mind when someone resigns - not least as it improves my ratings, although it feels unearned when the game hasn't begun yet! This happens quite often and I reckon it's because players are seeing a lot of unfamiliar cards and don't want to play against them...

Best
Tim

LastFootnote

I understand the OP. I play Dominion because I enjoy playing Dominion, not to increase my rank. It can be frustrating when an opponent abruptly resigns. I wanted to see how my deck played out.

I'm not saying resigning shouldn't be an option, just stating my feelings. Talking about resigning, as josh suggests, goes a long way. I wish more people did it.

dane

Which all goes to show that some people like opponents to resign while others don't.  A long time ago I suggested that there should be an option "Offer to resign" so that a player who was willing to resign or to play on could do whichever was preferred by the opponent.

jonts

The option to continue playing with the bot already exists, which seems to solve many of these issues.

VARMENDRION

I believe that it is just fair to resign if you realize you have lost. I handle it like this and believe most should:

If I lose, but the enemy is likely to finish the game within 1 or 2 minutes, I'll give him the satisfaction of ending the game and will just play quickly.

If I lose, but it will take some time (let's say you have 7 curses, while the enemy is done trashing, but there is no extra buy and the game will at least go another 8 rounds) I'll type "gg" and resign and usually am up for the challenge of a rematch.

If I can win quickly, I'll end as fast as possible to not make the enemy suffer through the loss. I mean those situations, where you are certain to win (let's say we had curses and another stack is bought out and I have 16 and instead of getting 2 provinces, I'll just buy out the third stack to sack the win).

If I didn't end this way, I'd totally understand if my enemy resigns and doesn't want a rematch because I'd consider making him suffer as unmannered. The same goes vice versa.

DominionTroll

Quote from: VARMENDRION on 12 July 2018, 02:08:02 AM
If I lose, but the enemy is likely to finish the game within 1 or 2 minutes, I'll give him the satisfaction of ending the game and will just play quickly.
If I can win quickly, I'll end as fast as possible to not make the enemy suffer through the loss. I mean those situations, where you are certain to win (let's say we had curses and another stack is bought out and I have 16 and instead of getting 2 provinces, I'll just buy out the third stack to sack the win).

You have no "enemies" in Dominion. Just friends that are your opponents.

Sqril

I just had this happen - a higher ranked player first said I was playing too slowly and it was boring.  I wasn't playing particularly slowly and told them they could resign.

And then right when I bought the last province and would have won - they resigned. Does this affect my oh-so-important ranking? Hehehe - I don't really care so much - rankings are fun but are not the sole reason I play (I'm barely 40 most days).

And then they blacklisted me.  That's fine - their prerogative.  I did likewise.

But, I think this is super crappy behavior.  It's rude and unsportsmanlike and it's people like this who make this online community not so friendly sometimes. 

Fortunately, most players aren't like this!!