Speed up "make ... resign"

Previous topic - Next topic

VARMENDRION

After 500 games, I feel that the resign-option takes way too long. Usually, if I have to wait for more than 30 seconds, the enemy won't come back. I feel, that even one minute might be okay, or even 90 seconds. But how it is at the moment, it takes too long. Maybe give the option to not make the enemy resign for custom games.

santamonica811

Beginning players will take a lot longer than more experienced players. (duh!)  :-)

Experienced players who see expansions new to them will take longer. (ditto)

I agree that it would be a nice option to have, to enable/disable "90 second resign" or something like that.  If people get disconnected--since I assume we are not playing for money--then it's not the worst thing in the world if I get disconnected and then get a forced-resign against me before I can log back in.  Would be a bit frustrating, but also would be just fine.  No big deal.

I'd hate to enforce a 60 second or 90 second limit on everyone, since that would make the game user-unfriendly to newbies.  But that's not what you, or I, were suggesting.  It's a good idea to implement as an option in the future, IMHP.

VARMENDRION

I see how I phrased this ambiguously. I meant when people are disconnected, not when they are still inside the game. As said: I have never seen someone come back after more man 60s disconnect. And at that point I'll just sit there waiting instead of being able to join a new game.

kevinb9n

I think part of the problem is that when I get disconnected nothing *tells* me that I got disconnected and all I'd have to do is hit reload and be fine. So I think I'm waiting on the other person for a while before I try saying something and figure it out.

blamelewis

Megas_Droungarios

Quote from: VARMENDRION on 19 July 2018, 05:10:21 PM
I see how I phrased this ambiguously. I meant when people are disconnected, not when they are still inside the game. As said: I have never seen someone come back after more man 60s disconnect. And at that point I'll just sit there waiting instead of being able to join a new game.

No, speed of returning when disconnected is often an internet issue, and it would be unfair (esp. in 3-player games where resignations are punished more severely in rankings-terms than ordinary losses) to shorten the time limit when the "away time" is not under the player's control.

kieranmillar

It's not unfair for someone to lose if their internet goes down. There are huge swathes of online games where if you get disconnected for 10 seconds you are thrown out of the game with a loss and no chance of a reconnect.

Everyone's internet occasionally hiccups, it's unfortunate but think about the experience of their opponent who has to sit around for 5 minutes waiting. It's not fair on them. If my internet died when playing Dominion I'd feel terrible in the knowledge that my opponent is forced to wait for ages so they can start having fun again. I want them to move on to the next match swiftly in my absence.

Hot take: If someone has atrocious internet that dies for a minute every 20 minutes, then maybe they shouldn't be trying to use it to play online games.

sudhish86

I'd be down for a 3 minute one. That should be enough time for new people.