Requesting update re. offline mode

Previous topic - Next topic

jneh

Hi Stef/ whoever it may concern

Could we please get an update re. offline mode for previous subscribers?

The last clear information I can find is in the megathread at the beginning of this year (where the first half of 2018 was made free to people who answered a survey). This thread (http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2750.0) says that it is expected in fall 2018 - is this still the plan?

I see there is another update request thread but there is no mention of offline mode.

Thank you

JunkDealer

Adding my name to this for tacking and bumping purposes.

Melawe

jneh

Bump, could someone in charge please respond.

Thanks

Stef

Quote from: jneh on 03 August 2018, 02:35:09 PM
Bump, could someone in charge please respond.

Thanks

Yes, I can respond, but I don't have anything new to say.
Development hasn't progressed as I planned lately, but I haven't changed the schedule for this (yet?).

Donald X.

Quote from: Stef on 03 August 2018, 05:30:51 PM
Development hasn't progressed as I planned lately, but I haven't changed the schedule for this (yet?).
The offline version is useless without real AI - I would not even offer it to people, it would just make us look bad. And real AI is useful without the offline version.

So, I imagine you are doing the real AI first?

Ingix

Quote from: Donald X. on 04 August 2018, 12:04:12 AM

The offline version is useless without real AI - I would not even offer it to people, it would just make us look bad.
I heavly disagree. 90+% of my usage as a player is with the supposedly useless current AI implementation. Of course I can see all myriads of totally bad decisions it can make. But it looks like as with any strategy game, you have players who mostly want a challenge and others who want to fill some time with something they like.

Cave-O-Sapien

If the competition is other idle games, I'm not sure you need a fantastic offline AI.

Donald X.

Quote from: Ingix on 04 August 2018, 11:26:06 AM
I heavly disagree. 90+% of my usage as a player is with the supposedly useless current AI implementation. Of course I can see all myriads of totally bad decisions it can make. But it looks like as with any strategy game, you have players who mostly want a challenge and others who want to fill some time with something they like.
You can totally get nonzero value from Lord Rattington. You can even lose to it. I routinely overstate how bad it is, but I am in a unique position to be unhappy about it. As a player, well I don't play it, it wasn't good enough, but that doesn't occupy space in my mind, I just play other things.

I am still embarrassed that people start up a game and are presented with that. I would be even more embarrassed if, after waiting so long, they download their "you can keep this forever" offline Dominion and that's what it has.

And anyone who just wants to play offline may not be checking for updates, to download a better version later. There will always be improvements they're missing if they don't; I would like to not have real AI be one of them.

Am I asking for too much? Well it's August 5, 2018. Sadly Shuffle IT isn't the first entity I've uselessly quoted the date at.

meathead40

With a game as complex as Dominion can be with the variety of kingdom cards, I have to imagine adding intelligent complex AI would be one massive undertaking.  I'd love to have it but have been pretty happy with what is available today to play vs friends online.

jneh

@Stef thanks for responding. 'No news' is still news and good that it isn't off the table. All the best with whatever you're working on.

@donald X. and others here: I personally don't mind the 'bad' AI. I play bots to relax, not for the high strategy. To each their own.

Angelbane

Quote from: Donald X. on 04 August 2018, 12:04:12 AM
Quote from: Stef on 03 August 2018, 05:30:51 PM
The offline version is useless without real AI - I would not even offer it to people, it would just make us look bad. And real AI is useful without the offline version.

So, I imagine you are doing the real AI first?

Honestly, it is neigh impossible not to look bad and that is not entirely Shuffle iT's fault ...

TBH I'm still pissed about having spent good money on the previous implementation and getting screwed on this version that still doesn't have offline.

I only came back because I was hoping it had gotten better but obviously not.

tufftaeh

Quote from: Angelbane on 04 September 2018, 08:40:02 AM
TBH I'm still pissed about having spent good money on the previous implementation and getting screwed on this version that still doesn't have offline.

It gets harder and harder to remember, but none of the previous official implementations had offline...