Unnecessary annoying behaviour

Previous topic - Next topic

Fastman

Hello,

I've experienced a large quantity of players who have an unnecessary annoying behaviour.

When I can win I game, I correctly buy the last card and end it.
Many players however keep buying cards even if they don't need them because the game is already over.
Like: buying victory cards once the last card is gone, being that both the last province or the last card from the third empty pile.

This is clearly a way of humiliating your opponent. It's totally unnecessary, nobody has ANY gain from this. I usually resign and blacklist when I see something like that, but alas I see this again and again.

Isn't there a way to report these players?
I don't think the community needs them.

Cave-O-Sapien

It's easy to view it that way, but I don't think that's always the intention.

Counterpoint: sometimes unexpected things happen with the score at the end of the game (cards getting returned to supply affecting landmark points etc.). The prudent thing is to grab as many points as you can.

Fastman

Quote from: Cave-O-Sapien on 21 July 2018, 09:15:59 AM
It's easy to view it that way, but I don't think that's always the intention.

Counterpoint: sometimes unexpected things happen with the score at the end of the game (cards getting returned to supply affecting landmark points etc.). The prudent thing is to grab as many points as you can.

No this happens even in games with no other specific rules.

AdamH

I understand where you're coming from and that it doesn't feel good to be up against this kind of thing.

On the other hand, I think that if you want to get better at the game, it's good practice to do things like maximizing your points on the last turn of the game. Dominion was a tabletop game before it was anything else, and there's no point counter telling you exactly what the score is. Also, that point counter reflects the current score, but various things like exchanging travellers or returning Encampments to the pile can affect the score of the game once you press that "end turn" button.

So like, if I forgot about that, or whatever other reason, I would want to maximize my points when I'm ending the game. I can't tell you how many games I've lost to a miscalculation like this, even with point counter on. I lost a game because I thought I was emptying the third pile when it was really the second, and even though this was hilarious, it taught me a valuable lesson and I've adjusted my play in ways like this to compensate. Building habits where you do this every game is the best way because the whole premise is that you forgot those things were there, so if you act like they're always there, you will forget less often.

So I don't think removing these people from the community is the right choice. If you really have  a problem with this, there's a personal blacklist feature that you can use  so you are less likely to get matched up with these people, and I'd encourage you to use it.

mark1878

I would not necessarily press end actions and press end buys even if I had won and finished the game.

I find it is simpler for me to finish the turn as if it was a normal turn. I don't do massive long turns in that case, also if well in the lead I am more likely to stop - I think it is fear of miscounting and not really finishing.

santamonica811

I make a point of Not looking at the running scores...I like to practice keeping tally in my head, so I can do it accurately in In-Real-Life games.  So, I cannot imagine not grabbing all the available points on my last turn, just in case I miscalculated (which often happens, alas).

I think this is a case where--unless someone is making bad sportsmanship comments in the chat--I would assume good intentions when someone does this to do.  You're free to blacklist anyone and everyone you want, of course.  But the above behavior seems pretty anodyne to me.

Fastman

Many are here excusing the unexcusable.

It happens to me even when I am losing 10-50.
Some people are just -put random insult here- and they shouldn't be allowed to play.

Rabid

The other way of looking at this is that the losing player could have conceded to save time.

For example in high level Chess I think most games end with resign.

squirezucco

Fastman,

You can end the annoyingness by resigning. The series of contrary viewpoints presented suggests that some don't feel how you feel about how to play the last turn, and at least some don't think/know they are being annoying to you. If you know you've lost, just resign and play another game, and you will never have to be annoyed. You can even play against the same player and get revenge.

Screwyioux

I'm totally with you on this.

While I understand playing your turn out if you think there's something impactful or insightful to be gained in doing so, finishing your opponent off quickly is just good sportsmanship, imo. Especially if it's not clear to your opponent whether or not you can win, don't play with our heart strings like that!