Charm used to buy a Knight

Previous topic - Next topic

santamonica811

Game 17082958.  Turn 12

I used Charm and selected the 'gain a second card' option.  I bought a Knight, but the game forced me to pick another (i.e., non-Knight) 5-value card.  Charm only says that the second card must be differently named, and each Knight definitely has a completely different name.  (Well, they do share "Sir ___", but you can use Charm to get two different Villages, in spite of *that* shared partial name.  So, I doubt that's the issue.)

Is this a known bug?  Some other reason why Charm did not work as expected?

dornado

Any chance Sir Martin was either if the cards involved?

JKRich

Not a bug. Consider the wording of the option for gaining a second card with Charm that you chose: "the next time you buy a card this turn, you may also gain a differently named card with the same cost". Remember that in Dominion you buy a card then you gain the card, so when you bought a Knight, not having yet gained it (so it still remained on its pile) you were asked which differently named card with the same cost which could be gained at that time you would like to gain. This is explicitly spelled out in the wiki (http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Charm): "The card gained from Charm is gained before gaining the card you bought, which may matter when cards do things when gained." One thing I do that might be of great help to you when you have questions like this is keep a tab open to http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/List_of_Cards_by_Qvist_Rankings which lists all the cards and how they are ranked by the community each year so if you ever have a question you can click to the card's wiki page and likely get your question answered.

santamonica811

Dor,
No, that would have been too easy an explanation!  :-)

JKR,
You were absolutely correct.  The problem--as it turns out--was that when I tried to use Charm, the second Knight was not yet revealed, so of course one can't gain a hidden card.

You have a good suggestion about at least making a link to the cards' Wiki.  But I can't imagine using it in a game that is not against Lord Rat.  "Sorry, need to stop the game mid-move for a minute or two...I need to check the Wiki on a particular card."  That does not seem like good game etiquette.  ;D