unable to play coins???

Previous topic - Next topic

santamonica811

16844611.  Turn 14

I had 2 coins already in my "kitty" (due to playing Poacher a few times, I think), and 1 copper left in my hand.  I played my final action--Haunted Woods.

Then, of course, I tried to make my buy.  Clicked on the copper.  But that ended my turn?!?!???  I hit "undo" and tried clicking on AutoPlay Treasures.  Same problem...that act also forced my turn to end and therefore did not allow any buy.

This game also had Villa in the kingdom, so I am not sure if this bug was due to the unusual aspect associated with Villa, or due to Haunted Woods, or some 'edge' combo of those two cards.  Or maybe due to something else.

Anyone else experienced this sort of issue?

jsh

If you bought villa but did not play it, you enter the buy phase with no buys remaining, so the phase ends before you can purchase anything.

santamonica811

Sure, but I can't imagine not playing it (what would be the advantage of not playing it???).

I, alas, do not know how to load an old game, so I cannot verify this...if I idiotically forgot to play the Villa, then that would indeed explain the situation...but I do not think it applies.

markus

That's the wrong game number (it has Villa, but no Poacher, Haunted Woods and you bought a Duchy turn 14).
Almost surely it is exactly the reason that jsh mentioned (no buys means auto-ending buy phase).

santamonica811

Markus,
Damn...that's frustrating to read.  When the game gives a long list of game numbers (on my home desktop monitor, on the far lower-right corner of the screen), it's the very top number on that list, right?  That's the number for the current game, yes?  I have no idea what the other numbers on that list are there for, however.

I'm quite annoyed that I did not copy down the correct game number.  >:(  It is hard to imagine not paying the Villa...there would be no point ever in not playing the Villa, right? (I guess that, with Walled Village, one might intentionally not play a Villa, but other than games with that particular card...)  And I tried several times--using Undo--to try and troubleshoot.  I guess it's possible that, each time, I looked at Villa and forgot to play it.  But, in my mind, that's pretty unlikely.

JKRich

Quote from: josh bornstein on 31 July 2018, 09:05:13 PM
When the game gives a long list of game numbers (on my home desktop monitor, on the far lower-right corner of the screen), it's the very top number on that list, right?  That's the number for the current game, yes?
No, the number for the current game is the bottom number on that list. Each time you start a game the new game number (and server) are printed on a new line below the previous one.

jsh

It isn't unlikely to forget to play villa. I do it all the time, especially if I'm trying to activate alms or something.

markus

Not playing Villa has happened to me as well, when you trash it for benefit for example.

The game number is either at the very top of the log or the last one in the chat window as mentioned.

santamonica811

Rich & Marcus
THANK YOU.  Okay, I have been assuming the exact opposite, in terms of that list.  (I thought I based my belief on a now-ancient post, but perhaps not.)  But I'll definitely remember that, for the future.  Marcus, I was a bit confused by your post.  You say that it is the TOP number in the log, and the bottom number in the list in Chat.  I guess I only have noticed the games list in chat.

I wonder why there is not--in the chat list of games--some clear visual indication of the current game, since 99.9934% of the time, that is the one that we'll want to write down.  Maybe have that game number highlighted, or with a star next to it, to indicate that it's the current/most-recent game?

(Is this already on the list of suggestions for the website?)

Ingix

Quote from: josh bornstein on 31 July 2018, 11:29:48 PM
I wonder why there is not--in the chat list of games--some clear visual indication of the current game, since 99.9934% of the time, that is the one that we'll want to write down.  Maybe have that game number highlighted, or with a star next to it, to indicate that it's the current/most-recent game?

I'd say it already exists: It is the *last time* a phrase like "Joining game #XXXXXXX on YYYYY." occurs.

And if you need it from the currently ongoing game, it is always at the top of the log, so easily scrollable to (even if you have lengthy chat and it may not be that easy to find there). If the game is just over and you are at the end-of-game summary screen, there is no additional mentioning of the game number beside the chat window, unfortunately.