Can replaying an old game please use a new random seed

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb9n

I had a game where I opened Warehouse/Moneylender (then Silver and some 5-cost terminal). Then this awful thing happened: I had a Warehouse turn where I had only Copper to discard, then I had a Moneylender turn with no Copper! I thought, wow, that is terrible, but what are the chances of that occurring?

I wondered how the game might have gone otherwise, so I replayed it a few times and the same exact thing happens every single time. Clearly the game has chosen a specific random seed already and is using it every time.

Can it not do that?

santamonica811

I don't think the game currently has this (but I can see how it would be a great new feature--to try different combinations to see what works best)

But there might be a workaround.  You still have that game (number) saved, right?  All you have to do is reload that game, write down each card in the kingdom, and then create a new game with those cards.  I am hoping that this will "reset" things so that you have a new game. 

(If Dominion, instead, looks at your kingdom and says to itself, "Hey, that's exactly game 1234567 at Tokyo!", and loads that game, then the workaround will not work, I presume.) 

Please post back here and let us know the results.  There definitely have been games where I say to myself, "I wonder--would I have won if I had gone traditional instead of Duke/Dutchy?" or other strategic decisions like that.

Cave-O-Sapien

Note that recreating the kingdom based on the cardlist has some limitations, such as Knight ordering, Bane card, Druid Boons etc.

kevinb9n

markus

There hasn't been any change here.

There are some tricks to get around it:
-) if you're not playing the bot, you could pass your first two turns each to sort of start the game with a fresh shuffle.
-) already playing your treasures in a different order or playing more treasures would slightly change the order of cards when they are shuffled the next time.

I think it's nice to be able to replay games with the same seed for endgame puzzles. But there are those situations when you would want a new seed, so it would be a nice advanced option for loading games.

kevinb9n

You're right, I was wrong, nothing has been fixed.  What I've discovered is that the exact same configuration of decks is used every game, but what changes is *which* of the two shuffled decks I start with. (Probably one always goes with the start player.)

The way this should work seems very clear to me. When you type "/undo" you can see that you have the choice of going back to *before* both players shuffle their decks, or just after. So, all it needs to do is work just like it says it will work. Then I can choose which behavior I want.

scout423

How about adding a command "/random" which changes the random seed if you do it at start of playing an old game?  Similar usage to the "/undo" command, but doesn't clutter the UI with more options.