Deciding whether to grant Undo each time is super awkward

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb9n

I have a simple Undo policy: if an action resulted in ANY new information being made available to the opponent, I think it is very inappropriate to Undo that. That information could be: saw a new card from their deck, or found out whether I was going to React, or even found out that the game was giving me an *opportunity* to React - anything like that.

But in any other case but that I am always fine with granting it, even multiple steps. In fact, it feels really bad/unfriendly not to, especially if I'm winning.

I would *really* like to just set that as my preference, but the bigger issue is that it is though for me to manually puzzle out whether the opponent is trying to do an illegitimate Undo like this. Can something be done to help this situation?

santamonica811

If you're trying to suss out why an opponent is asking for an Undo...this is where the chat function can be very useful.  Just ask them.  Most people (well, All people, in my limited experience) will tell you why they want an Undo...if you ask them for an explanation.  Their answers can inform your Undo decisions.

AdamH

Quote from: kevinb9n on 12 August 2018, 07:40:11 PM
I have a simple Undo policy: if an action resulted in ANY new information being made available to the opponent, I think it is very inappropriate to Undo that.

The feature to be able to auto-approve all undos that didn't reveal any information was something promised to us I think before the software was initially released. It's been almost two years since that and we've seen nothing.

So yeah I don't think anyone would disagree with you that this is a good idea, but I wouldn't recommend holding your breath.

blamelewis

I think a simple-ish step forward would be for the Undo button to popup with a field where the person requesting the undo has to enter a reason...

dmyze

So I would like to just turn on auto-approve for undo in my games.  I only play with friends, and we would never deny someone their undo request.

Lancero95

I vote for defaulting to auto-approve if all players are in the friends list. 

or implement a "mulligan" policy... you only get X number of Undos per game

mrfiat

I vote for eliminate auto undos entirely.  It is super annoying that an opponent can make a mistake playing their money and then get an auto approved undo.  Or just eliminate undos completely.  None of the previous Dominion sites had undo and the game play went much smoother on those sites.

Quori

Quote from: mrfiat on 01 June 2020, 01:06:32 PM
I vote for eliminate auto undos entirely. 

this. I am tired of getting non stop undo requests. The actual game does not have undos as a rule. It doesn't happen in RL. Remove this feature entirely. Mistakes happen, its not the end of the world.

Ingix

Yes, mistakes happen, that do not exist in real life, like a misclick. If you are annoyed by undos, just don't grant them, your opponent has to do something else in the 4 min time frame they have.

Quori

Quote from: Ingix on 14 January 2021, 02:10:51 PM
Yes, mistakes happen, that do not exist in real life, like a misclick. If you are annoyed by undos, just don't grant them, your opponent has to do something else in the 4 min time frame they have.

Yes, but I am now facing constant backlash and abusivess because I deny. The feature needs to be inherently forced on in the game (You get 1, 2, 3 undos per match) or a feature that can be toggled on/off prior to a match so the two players agree ahead of time.

Additionally...having played Dominion for far longer than any digital version existed....yes misclicks didn't exist, but mistakes always have! Realizing you bought the wrong card(s), trashed the wrong card, took some wrong action....has ALWAYS been part of the game. Maybe some folks have house rules about table top undos, but again not an official thing and never something my fellow players ever considered or agreed to in a game.

Ingix

I see your point.

I'm not sure if there will be anything done in the immediate future, because the underlying problem is that the more options there are to configure automatch, the more the search gets fragemented and people don't find opponents for some time, which is a bad experience.

Of course, being harassed is an even worse experience. If you encounter anything like that, I encourage you to report them at  https://tinyurl.com/dominion-abuse so we (the mods) can take action and/or blacklist them if it's "only" annoying.

You can blacklist them during the game (click on the "3 persons" symbol below the chat and then the lightning icon of the offending player), this will stop showing you their chat. Alternatively, you can close/minimize the chat entirely by clicking on the speach bubble icon. We can't prevent the abusive chat in real time, but this allows you to minimize the effect on you.

Quori

Thanks Ingix. I have been doing these very steps; but its extra effort on my part and I still am facing it regardless.

The best solution is for players to realize...ya know like an adult...that mistakes happen and denying an undo is not a sign of the other player is some bad ju-ju player. I dont have high hopes on that one.

ClemFandango

I agree with the post - I also never click Undo unless I am playing with people I know - earlier, someone clicked Undo 5 times in a row - I clicked Grant, but it felt like they were being a bit cheeky!

AdamH

It seems like in the absence of the real solution, a feature we were promised years ago where undos that don't grant additional information are automatically granted, a decent middle option would be an autoplay that grants or denies the rest of the undos for the game without having to click.