When opponent ignores your Undo request

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb9n

I requested an Undo, and my opponent decided to not respond to it and just wait it out.

I kept trying to talk to him in the chat, but he ignored me.

It was really boring, and I hate having to wait 3 entire minutes before I can make the opponent resign.

But imagine my surprise when, after 3 minutes were up, the game informed me that **I** resigned!

This was really frustrating.  Adding insult to injury, it wouldn't even give me the "Continue With Bots" option, but that's another story.

TL;DR if someone requests an undo, you might be able to win just by waiting them out and then forcing them to resign.

yed

It is ok from my point of view besause it is not a game decision. But it should be clear, that time is running to you, not to your opponent.

markus

You can always cancel your undo request, so it's not the case that your opponent can force you to resign by not responding to the undo request.

kevinb9n

Quote from: markus on 06 September 2018, 09:33:12 AM
You can always cancel your undo request, so it's not the case that your opponent can force you to resign by not responding to the undo request.

Please read what I said again. Thanks.

Ingix

While what markus wrote is technically correct, it is still true that when the Undo request is made, the player that decides if to Grant/Deny that request should be 'on the clock'.

Or maybe not, because that would allow a player to bombard the other with request after request and really keep the game at a hold, not moving forward.

The problem with making the asking player being on the clock is that they have no idea when the time will be up, and mainly they think it is not their time to 'act'.

AdamH

The client has a window that says "waiting for opponent to approve undo request" -- it's a perfectly reasonable assumption to think that the timer is ticking down on their end. If it needs to be the way it is, it should be clearer that while I'm waiting for my opponent, my time is ticking down and not theirs.

santamonica811

Adam,
Agreed...that is a logical and reasonable assumption.  I'm not sure what fix would work best.  But something probably should be done, to avoid this problem in the future. 

SkyHard

Quote from: Ingix on 06 September 2018, 12:27:05 PM
Or maybe not, because that would allow a player to bombard the other with request after request and really keep the game at a hold, not moving forward.

Isn't the number of undo request somehow limited? If the other player refused the undo, will he be able to request the same undo again?

Ingix

I'm not sure about the limit.

Sometimes undo requests are not easy to understand, because there might be a choice involved in one step that the other player hasn't seen yet, so they think the undo is about a different thing. So strictly forbidding repeated undos would also not work.