Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Time controls similar to chess  (Read 277 times)

Offline Grindcore

• View Profile
Time controls similar to chess
« on: 15 September 2018, 02:52:04 AM »
This is a game where you can gain an edge by deeply thinking every turn, counting cards in your deck, figuring out what is still in your draw pile etc. Being able to do these things fast is a skill, just like in chess where lower rated players can also figure out better moves if they are given more itme. But it is not fun to play if you want a quick game but your opponent is taking very long every turn. Sometimes you also just have 10 minutes of free time but there is no telling if your game will last 5 minutes or 40.

I think it would be a great idea to add some time controls to the game, similar to chess, each with their own rating/leaderboard. This gives players more control over how long a game will last if they have limited time, as well as make things more fair in general. Something like a total game time, with an increase to it every time its your turn, and an increase for every time you play a card (ie 1 minute starting time, +10 seconds per turn, +2 seconds per action card played for a quicker game, and 3 minutes, +15s/turn and +5 seconds per action for a slower game, and a much slower, or just untimed, just to give some ideas).

Offline josh bornstein

• View Profile
Re: Time controls similar to chess
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2018, 08:31:03 AM »
It would be terrible to force this on people.  But I think you are only asking for this to be added as an option, right?  If so; I think that's a great idea.  Probably not terribly difficult to program.  And, once done, that option would be available forever, into the future.

Offline tashley2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2018, 06:03:12 PM »
It probably wouldn't work very well with the undo feature in effect.  However if there's no do-overs,  like in tournament chess,   it might work.

It has been mentioned in the past that there may be a no-undo option available in the future.   Still waiting for that.

Offline Grindcore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2018, 08:05:57 PM »
Yeah just as option. When searching for a game, just like you can set 2 player, 3 player, unrated, min and max level difference, etc, you can also choose which time controls you're willing to play, with "no time control" obviously being an option too :)

Offline Mike Thicke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2018, 01:27:40 AM »
This has been suggested before, but that doesn't make it any less of a good suggestion. Hearthstone, Magic, and pretty much all online card games I'm aware of, have some sort of player action timer. I see no problem with forcing it on people, to be honest, but if you want the option to turn it off for casual games, ok.

I have friends who refuse to play online Dominion when I tell them it has no timer.