...This will be sufficient in >99% of the games...
In theory there are 3 exceptions:
- If you are possessing your opponent, you probably want to waste their villagers.
- If you are scared of being possessed, you may want to waste your own villagers.
- If you intend to play Diadem and you prefer coins to Villagers, you may want to use them.
Two things you can do:
- If you're in your action phase and nothing else is currently happening (= you're not in the middle of playing some card) you can click the villager icon in the status bar to use a villager.
- If you manage to play diadem in your action phase (Black Market or Storyteller) it will simply ask you how many Villagers you want to spend before getting the coins from Diadem.
Unfortunately this still don't cover all these edge-cases. Most notably, maybe you have Diadem in hand but no actions whatsoever, and the game will automatically skip your Action phase. We'll figure something out before Renaissance goes live for real to fix that.