Treasurer option "Do Nothing"

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

I played a Treasurer with no treasures in the trash. I'm presented with some options that are confusing to me.

The log says I can either trash a treasure or take the key. I'm seeing the treasures in my hand highlighted like I can trash them and then I see two buttons "Take the Key" and "Do nothing".

I know that if I choose to gain a treasure from the trash that nothing will happen and that's why the button says "do nothing" -- but this is more confusing to me than just a button that says to gain from the trash and then allowing nothing to happen. Also, it seems like the game log is missing an option for me (either take a treasure from the trash or do nothing, whichever you end up deciding is what you're going to keep)

santamonica811

Quote from: AdamH on 27 September 2018, 05:11:29 PM
I played a Treasurer with no treasures in the trash. I'm presented with some options that are confusing to me.

The log says I can either trash a treasure or take the key. I'm seeing the treasures in my hand highlighted like I can trash them and then I see two buttons "Take the Key" and "Do nothing".

I know that if I choose to gain a treasure from the trash that nothing will happen and that's why the button says "do nothing" -- but this is more confusing to me than just a button that says to gain from the trash and then allowing nothing to happen. Also, it seems like the game log is missing an option for me (either take a treasure from the trash or do nothing, whichever you end up deciding is what you're going to keep)

I also found the interface confusing.  Maybe due to my completely unfamiliarity with the card.  But it probably could be written out a bit more clearly.

Ingix

I know that if I choose to gain a treasure from the trash that nothing will happen and that's why the button says "do nothing" -- but this is more confusing to me than just a button that says to gain from the trash and then allowing nothing to happen.

I agree that a good way to indicate choices that lead to some kind of failure would be welcome to me.
A middle ground is needed, something that makes sich a choice stand out (as it does now), but also presenting essentially the same interface as without failure.

Also, it seems like the game log is missing an option for me (either take a treasure from the trash or do nothing, whichever you end up deciding is what you're going to keep)

In this case, the log is not giving you clickable options, it's just mentioning them. So you don't have to decide anything here, the log is just additional info.

The Treasurer choice is 3-fold, you *have* to choose one and then follow the instructions. I'm glad that the game presents them in such a way that all 3 options are available at once, and you don't have to chose the mode first. In case that one option is impossible to do, it presentes the "do nothing" button, that could (see above) use a better description, but I think that is still better than presenting an "empty trash" (at least a trash that contains no Treasures) and let the user guess how he should select nothing from that.

AdamH

Quote from: Ingix on 27 September 2018, 07:32:57 PM
In this case, the log is not giving you clickable options, it's just mentioning them. So you don't have to decide anything here, the log is just additional info.

Yes, and this seems like the best way to do it -- what I was saying though, is that the log only showed me two options when I really had three options, so the "do nothing" or "gain a treasure from the trash" option wasn't represented there like the other two options.

Ingix

Ok, understood.

You are right, the one option is missing in that case.

jeebus

I'm sorry to see that this bad practice is continued with the new cards. I refer to this post: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2936.msg13190#msg13190

As I wrote there, now this is entirely inconsistent, and it seems like a much better idea to change the 6 cards that give the player a "do nothign" option than to change all the other cards I listed. But now that new cards are being added to those 6, can I conclude that the plan is to change all those other cards? I mean, that would make it consistent technically.

But in any case it's a bad idea, since (as I wrote at the end of that post), several things are still possible to do which will have unintended or unclear results, so it's just confusing and bad to "help" players with some stuff (without them even understanding why) and not other stuff.