Players drawing out turns

Previous topic - Next topic

witch_hunter

I know we can blacklist players that intentionally draw out turns and other unnecessary rudeness, but is there any other penalty for being a bad sport?

I'm currently in a game with a player who was originally upset with me for taking too long to move. Now that I'm ahead by 32 vp, they are playing one card every 3-4 minutes. Looking forward to when they forget to play a card and I can force them to resign and blacklist, but what gives?

santamonica811

No, no other penalty...they are playing within the game's rules.  As you noted yourself; play out the game, blacklist them, and you'll never have to see them again.

But sorry to read about the experience.  It's rare, in terms of percentage of players who do this.  But large enough in raw numbers to be an issue.

markus

It's not within the rules, they get banned and the game gets erased for rating purposes.

santamonica811

M,
It was my understanding that these games were voided (for ratings purposes) if the player was banned.  But that would happen only if some sufficient number of people complained about any one person doing this (or other bad acts), right?

Are you saying that if I am playing, say, John Q Public and I blacklist her, that this game is automatically discounted?  (I would not object to this rule--I'm asking for informational purposes.)  Or were you saying that the game will--at least temporarily--count, and then, later, if enough people complain about Player Q Public, that all her past games will be voided, including the one that I played against her yesterday, or last week, or 7 months ago???

markus

It's the latter. It does count until they get banned. If that was the only time that this player slow-rolled their opponent then that would probably not happen. But I think it's still better to just resign and feel like the winner than wait it out.

Primarily, I wanted to emphasize that even if the client allows you to take 4 minutes for every Copper play, it's not allowed to do it on purpose.

santamonica811

Thanks for the clarification--your answer was in line with my expectations.

At some point, I think it would be very interesting to poll the players on the site, on these (and other??) issues.  Have you played a game with a slow-roller?  With someone verbally abusive?  Approx how many such games have you had like this?  Etc. 

I ask, because I have really not encountered this, but see many many posts by people who have...and some posts by people who have faced this many times.  Am I just lucky?  Or are 95% of the players in my shoes, and people who get matched up with jerks just the rare exception?  Of course I can't base any conclusion on just the posts here...no one ever posts to say, "Just had a normal game, with a polite opponent, and nothing unusual happened!"  :)

Dog bites man; versus man bites dog

markus

Quote from: josh bornstein on 30 September 2018, 09:24:57 AM
Dog bites man; versus man bites dog
I think this is a big part - there are a lot of games played every day and you get a few complaints per week.

Briawna

I'd also be interested in this poll!! I actually just encountered my first slow roller who was intentionally trying to get me to resign while ahead. It shocked me. In general, I encounter nice people, but there have been enough bad experiences to make me walk away for periods of time. Usually it's just mean people in the chat using discriminatory language or being a jerk. But it's made me wonder if there's any way to make a nice people league, haha.

LibraryAdventurer

The add friend option on the site is a way to make your own personal nice people league.

Wolfhere

The last time I encountered a "slow roller", I told the user I was playing on a tablet.  I was moving to the living room and queuing up a movie on Netflix.  "Bud, the movie is 2 hours long.  Take all the time you need.  I'll have the tablet in my lap"

He quit after about 10 minutes.

bananny

I always play bots.  I can't stand playing live people because most take too long to read cards or are playing slow and being rude on purpose.  The last time I accidentally joined a game with a live person, they slow played me.  Kept calling me "lucky" because they were losing.  Then, they tried to undo a move and I declined.  They threw a tantrum, called me names and tried to slow play me.  I usually play on my laptop on my dining room table, right next to my kitchen.  I told the guy I was cooking dinner and have no problem coming back every 3 minutes to take a turn (just like the person above that turned on a movie).  He called me some choice names and resigned.  I stick to bots.  I like fast games.  I don't have the attention span to wait on slow players whether it's intentional or not.

Puk

resign, say 'gg' (troll won't know what they're hearing), resign and leave table

gitsticker8

Slow-playing is well within the rules.  It's the rules themselves that's the issue.  Lazy game design that rewards slow-players and actually encourages them.

Nobody needs 4 minutes per card.  Nobody should have the power to draw a game out over the course of a week.