Rated games with specified kingdom cards

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

https://www.reddit.com/r/dominion/comments/ah5s5a/question_about_rated_games_in_dominion_online/

I can set up a table and play a rated game against a person where I specify one or more of the kingdom cards. If I can't use the familiar cards feature in rated games and I can do this, there's an inconsistency here.

Either rated games should always be full random or they shouldn't be -- whether automatch is used shouldn't affect this.

markus

There's some difference between familiar cards and explicitly specifying kingdom cards, in that you know what you sign up for. (I wouldn't know which cards my opponent has unfamiliar.)
But I would also not mind being able to have rated games respecting familiar cards.

AdamH

Yes I think the answer is allowing rated games to be played with familiar cards (maybe with some restriction that prevents you from gaming the system -- like you need to be familiar with at least 50% of all cards or something), especially since I think somewhere that DXV insisted that this be the case and everyone agreed on it? Wasn't it called "Ban N cards in rated games"?

In fact, I don't play rated games and if it was this way I would play rated games.

Ingix

I personally would say there should be a minimum of X card slots that are not filled with a specific card and that those open slots should draw from a *combined* pool of at least Y cards.

I'd set X=4 and Y=30, that means you can have at most 6 fixed slots and need at least 2 different expansions among the open slots, in which case at least one must be a 'big' one (Say 6 fixed cards, 3 slots for Intrigue and one Promo card slot). If you leave one card slot totally open (no required expansion), that should fullfill the Y conditions usually alone, unless someone is really only familiar with base cards.

That should give people lots of options for their familiar cards or banned cards, without being able to overly game the system. Of course, it is debatale if e.g. only playing kingdoms that contain 6 fixed cards (say always a viable draw engine, or always a Goons engine, etc.) should be the basis of someone's rating.