Player named Johnsy has repeated complaints of Slow Play. He is taking 4 minutes

Previous topic - Next topic

Heads Will Roll

to play every card in his hand because he knows he will lose the game unless you get frustrated and resign. He is a Level 55.4 player and there is no reason for this type of complete disregard for your fellow players.

Can we permanently ban him and his IP? This is a waste of everyone's time.

Heads Will Roll

It just took him 30 whole minutes to play a 5 card hand. This is ridiculous.

jsh

Why did you continue to play with him? Resign the game and blacklist him next time, please.

Heads Will Roll

I did not want to give him the benefit of the win or to take the rating loss myself? That's exactly what these trolls want.

Ingix

Once they are banned (which may happen later), the ratings loss to you is gone. But even if that wasn't the case, the grief they have caused you (as evidenced in your postings) is much greater than what would have happened if you just had resigned and blacklisted.

Please, do not make your emotional well-being dependent on some rating number in an online game, that is not worth it. I understand that you don't want your rating to suffer, but the effect of just one game is usually negliable. You fell exactly into that player's trap. They want to see you suffer in the game, they don't care about your 0.2 level drop after resigning.

Because the game is free and an account just requires an email, it's fundamentally hard to ban players, it's just easy to ban accounts. By all occurances, Johnsy is not the first account that player used, for example.

MVP

Is there a way to add a setting to only play other people that have paid for their accounts?  If the issue is the free accounts, let us only play against other paying members that take it seriously.

Ingix

The overwhelming majority of 'free players' are as good (and as bad) as the paying players (and any large number of humans). I would not have them punished by being no longer able to play games with paying players.

roterluchs

Unfortunately, I have just played (if we can call it playing) with this user Johnsy and was threatened right from the start. The garden-workshop strategy was one of the most obvious, but he told, no, he commanded me not to use it. Then a rather nasty philosopfical conversation followed. Certainly, I have blacklisted the player, but it's anyway a bit frustrating. This topic was opened on March 3, but he is still playing.. And he said that he was playing on other account at the moment.
Below I have attached our talk.

Ingix

Thanks for the report, and you did the right thing by blacklisting them. It's unlikely that that player will change their mind, but if that account is banned (which AFAIK has happenend in the past for that player's previous account(s)), they will just make a new one that isn't on "everybody's" blacklist.

Heads Will Roll

How many topics are there in the forums of complaints like this? This appears to be the only one, with multiple complaints against THE SAME GUY.

He should be kicked off and forced to sign up for new accounts. He obviously takes pride in his high rating of 55 or he wouldn't begin slow-playing when it's obvious he is going to lose a game. Admins should do the right thing and ban this guy's account and force him to start over. It does the community as a whole a disservice by allowing cancerous people like this to continue to play with no penalties.

Ingix

Once that player has a new account, they will possibly matched against all those players that have Johnsy on their backlist. You cannot prevent that player from taking pride in something like the rating. What you can do is make the impact that player has on your life as small as possible, by blacklisting them and moving on.

I understand that you want to punish that player and that you think that forcing him onto a new account is punishment. It isn't. They will start just start again.

irata

This has been a big problem since Dominion was switched to the Shuffle iT platform.   I have suggested multiple ways to fix it on this forum, but have been ignored.  :-(   

Some suggestions:

1. Have an option to tie account to their cell phone # and have the option to *only* play people with a verified cell #.
2. Have an option to only play people that have paid for their accounts.
3. Actually write some code to detect people that are slow playing on a regular basis and ban them.  This isn't rocket science folks!
4. Have metrics to show how slow people play and allow us to match with fast players.
5. A timer option for the whole game.
6. Add a complaint button in the game so we can easily report trolls and then actually do something about them.

That's just off the top of my head.  I really, really wish Isotropic was allowed to co-exist with this site and all the good players would jump ship in a second.   (no offense guys, but it has been years and you have done *nothing* about the trolls on this site!)

We pay to play on this site and shouldn't have to put up with the trolls.  Thanks!

Mike Thicke

Quote from: Ingix on 03 March 2019, 12:10:24 PM
Please, do not make your emotional well-being dependent on some rating number in an online game, that is not worth it. I understand that you don't want your rating to suffer, but the effect of just one game is usually negliable. You fell exactly into that player's trap. They want to see you suffer in the game, they don't care about your 0.2 level drop after resigning.

I'm sorry, but responding to complaints by lecturing users on how to be better people is not a good response. Many of us do not like to resign to abusive players. Perhaps we can talk to our therapists about why, but the fact remains that there are many complaints along these lines. I wish Shuffle iT would take the measures that pretty much every other game of this sort takes:

(1) Institute a clock.
(2) Allow players to mute their opponents.

jeebus

Quote from: irata on 20 March 2019, 05:49:52 AM
3. Actually write some code to detect people that are slow playing on a regular basis and ban them.  This isn't rocket science folks!

Definitely this should be possible. We were musing about it here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=19445.msg789268#msg789268

mrfiat

But have they done it, no!   I think Donald should pull the license from ShuffleIT and give it to someone else at this point.   Donald are you listening?