Subscription expiration

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamH

I have this experience on video if there's any confusion as to what happened, but I'll describe it here.

My subscriptions were set up such that all of them were listed as going through April 5, except for Renaissance, which goes through April 4. Last night at 9PM Eastern time on April 4 (which I'm assuming is past midnight UTC) I tried to make a kingdom that included one Renaissance card by copy/pasting a list of cards. There was no error message, it just didn't put the card in the kingdom, letting a random one go in there instead. After a couple of games I realized the Renaissance card wasn't showing up and so I tried to add it in, getting the error message that the card didn't exist (there is no card called Research or something like that).

A couple of issues with this so far. That error message should tell me I don't own that card, not that the card doesn't exist, and there should be some indication when a subscription expires so I don't go starting games and get base-only for no good reason, then have to figure out what happened by going to a tab I never go to. I would think that reminding people that they need to spend money would be preferable to just having the software not do what it's expected to do.

So I went to the store tab and saw what the expiration dates on my subscriptions were. It shows me a day only. Maybe due to time zones I have this weird case where I'm looking at a subscription that expires on April 4, but it's April 4 for me and I can't use it. Subscription information should be sensitive to that -- either give me the subscription until midnight in my own time zone (if you have that information) or give me the subscription until midnight in the western-most time zone in the world, or give the subscription until the time I originally bought it. In all cases, it should list the time when that subscription will expire on the Account tab, since the day by itself is causing this situation to come up.

AdamH

After some digging, I found that if you mouse over a certain expansion, it pops up some text telling you a timestamp when that subscription expires. Since these aren't the same for Renaissance vs. other expansions, I'm assuming this is the time I bought them. So that's a good solution.

In any case, there's no time zone on that -- is it UTC or my time zone? That should probably be displayed along with the timestamp. Also, this information should probably be less hidden. Perhaps a line of text that's always visible at the bottom saying what date and time your next expiration happens?

Ingix

About the ending time: It's your local time. I tested that by changing my windows time zone and the ending times changed accordingly.

About the expansions ending shown: My personal idea would be to put that on the Matching tab, as players go their regularly, while they usually forget about the Account tab, even when they mysteriously get base only games for a few days.

If you haven't extended your subscription yet, could you retest your first problem with the one Renaissance card not showing? I simply don't know when and how often the client ask the server what sets the player owns. It might be that it is only done once per session or something similar.

AdamH

Quote from: Ingix on 05 April 2019, 04:14:47 PM
If you haven't extended your subscription yet, could you retest your first problem with the one Renaissance card not showing? I simply don't know when and how often the client ask the server what sets the player owns. It might be that it is only done once per session or something similar.

The kingdom is like this. I copied this to my clipboard and paste it in the place where you can type in kingdom cards to find them. Normally, this puts the whole kingdom in for me:

Beggar, Stonemason, Fortune Teller, Loan, Lookout, Necromancer, Research, Talisman, Capital, Hunting Party, Triumph, Travelling Fair

No message pops up, but Research isn't there.

If I try to type "research" in the box manually, the box tells me "no cards matching "research" were found"

EDIT: I logged off and back on this morning and started a new table, in case that makes any difference.

Ingix

Again it's a question of how much error to silently ignore (the problem of your kingdom text string including "Research" being accepted) and how to give feedback.

For the 'no cards matching "research" were found' problem, in a sense it's correct, because you cannot include a card named "research" into your kingdom. It is of course doable to show another error like 'you don't own this card'  if it turns out that the string you entered does belong to a card of a set you do not own, instead of being just a collection of letters that do no represent a card at all.