"Respect Familiar Cards" not respected in unrated game

Previous topic - Next topic

AparalForge

Whenever I play a game against bots with "rated game" disabled and "respect familiar cards" enabled, I am getting cards randomly drawn from the complete set, regardless of whether or not the cards have been marked as "unfamiliar" or not. This system used to work in the past, but it seems that it is currently broken.

Also, "max unfamiliar cards" in my options is set to 0.

Ingix

Hi AparalForge, thanks for the report!

I tried many different ways to start a bot game, and at all times it respected my familiar cards. I started it from the Matching tab or the New Tables tab (where I choose "Respect familiar cards"), played 2 games in a row on the same table, a.s.o.

Could you

a) check that your familiar cards are actually what you think they are? Maybe the problem is that by some error your familiar cards got (re)set to "all cards". To do this, go to the "Familiar Cards" tab and click on each of the expansion names on the left. Cards set to unfamiliar will be in greyscale, cards set to familiar will be in color. Note that some 10 fixed cards from the base expansion will usually been shown as familiar (to make sure that two players can always get into a game).

b) describe how you enter your game that doesn't respect familiar cards. Maybe there is a way I didn't think of and it has the problem you encounter.

AparalForge

Hmm I think what might actually be happening is that the game is not saving unfamiliar states on cards that I changed yesterday, or today. When I reload the site after marking a card like Witch as unfamiliar, it is back to familiar status. Other cards that I had set unfamiliar many months in the past, like Bandit, are still unfamiliar after a page reload. Those cards don't appear to be getting pulled in, but anything that I try to add to "unfamiliar" status today still does.

Ingix

Witch is one of the 10 cards I mentioned that are always familiar (they may be in greyscale when you make them unfamiliar, but after the next login they are back to familiar). The other 9 cards are Chapel, Festival, Gardens, Laboratory, Market, Moneylender, Smithy, Village and Workshop.

Another problem is that it looks like the familiar cards are only saved when you leave the "Familiar Cards" tab. If you log out directly from that tab, they are not saved.

AparalForge

"Note that some 10 fixed cards from the base expansion will usually been shown as familiar (to make sure that two players can always get into a game"

Why not just prompt the user on the game setup screen that they cannot start a game if fewer than 10 cards are set as familiar? That would be a far more user friendly solution than forcing people to have all of those cards in the random selection set when using the base game.

Ingix

The problem is that if familiar cards are respected in games with another human player, you need to find 10 cards that all players have set as familiar.

IIRC, in the beginning players were complaining that they weren't matched in practiced games at all, and the investigation showed they had not set any familiar cards, or only a small amount. The 10 fixed cards that are always familiar was the chosen method to make sure players could play. Once they realized they always played the same kingdom, they asked and got the concept explained. But (especially for a new serice at that time) it is important that users can actually use the service, and deal with all the knobs to configure the service later, at their own pace.