Member: akitako starts a game but uses the time limit to have you resign

Previous topic - Next topic

refugee

Started a random match against: akitako

He started the first few rounds at normal speed up then it came to a full halt only for him to play a single card every 4min to avoid the auto-resign option. Yes, he plays a single coin during the buy phase just to avoid having to resign. He pretty much forces the opponent into submission because they tend to value their time more and respect the game.

Its a real person because I requested an undo a few times and they immediately denied it and then during their turn they requested it as well - just playing games here (just not the actual game).

This is unacceptable playing behavior. Waste of time and ethics among other players.

He has about 800 games and who knows are wins due to resignation.

Would like to open this threat to communicate this issue and get others to voice their anger and maybe get something done.

Delete his account so all 800 games are wasted or gone. Block his IP.

aim4whirledpeas

I created an a forum account today just to see if others had similar experiences with akitako. It's infuriating -- they played a single card every four minutes, with a single turn taking a half hour. I eventually resigned, which I'm sure was their goal. Is there any other way to report this poor behavior? I would guess that their rating (nearly 50) is due to this unsportsmanlike strategy. I echo the recommendation of blocking their IP and account.

In case an admin can check, my game was #26970879

Ingix

Slowplayers are a reality. Threads/reports about them can be found here or here .

Im not sure if you (refugee/aim4whirledpeas) knew that, at least your postings seem to suggest that this behaviour is new to you.

The fundamental problem in dealing with them is that accounts are easy to ban, but banning players is hard, they just make a new account. That is not speculation, that has happened several times, and apparently repeatedly by the same person(s).

Doing a general IP ban is problematic, it can affect people not involved (think WLAN hotspot at a university).

The proposed method to handle this is to resign if you detect this, and blacklist that account (click the lightning bolt icon at the end-of-game screen). If you want to blacklist an account later, just click the "Friend List" tab at the top of the screen, click on the "Blacklist" button, enter the account name in the edit box at the bottom of the screen and click "Add".

That means you will not be matched against that account in the future. You will take a ratings loss for the resign. If/when that account is later banned, the ratings loss will be gone. But the main idea is to minimize the influence that toxic account has on your game experience.

Some players, maybe many, disagree with that approach, and want something more to be done against those accounts. As I tried to explain, it's hard to reach beyond the account to the player behind it.

aim4whirledpeas

Thanks Ingix, I'm new(er) to the game and this forum, and your recommendations are helpful. This was my first experience with a slowplayer, so I didn't realize how pervasive the issue was.

Thanks for your response,
Aim4WhirledPeas

mrfiat

The reality is that the site owners can do something about this behavior but refuse to spend the money and time to stop this.   :-(   Meanwhile we are paying to use this service.   (Unhappy customer here)