Offensive username and slowplayer

Previous topic - Next topic

joanesty

I just resigned from a game against an opponent named "uracunt" and he was everybit as gross as his username suggests. Sexually abusive language from the start, and very slow play, extremely slow play. It was as if he knew the exact amount of time allowed between clicks. I gave up and resigned but it seems very unfair that my rating should suffer due to a loss against this loser.

santamonica811

Joan,
1.  Sorry to read about your bad experience. 
2.  I assume you blacklisted her/him after this unpleasant game, yes?
3.  Once a few people report this player, the account will be banned and your resignation will not count against you.

There have been many posts about this (although not about this specific player).  I think the usual advice is: Resign, blacklist, and put that jerk out of your mind . . . your record will be 'corrected' soon enough, although it won't be immediate.

I'd personally like to see something more immediate happen.  But there's no way Stef could personally handle that volume of requests.  My suggestion (not that anyone has asked me for my input  :) ), is to have a few volunteers act as moderators.  These would be people who do NOT play in ranked games, so there'd be no incentive for them to be anything other than honest brokers.  You'd post the game number and your complaint.  A moderator would look at the game, look at the chat, look at the playing pace, and could immediately get rid of your resignation as a loss.

My guess is that there'd be no problem finding, say, 10 long-time players who would be willing to do this.  Spread out amount a bunch of volunteers, it would probably be very little time/effort required from any individual moderator.

Ingix

From a reply from Stef in discord, that account has been banned.

santamonica811

Ingix,
I often hear a reference to "Discord."  What exactly is it?  Can you provide a link to it?  (Or is it something internal, just for insiders to run Dominion?)

Ingix

Discord is an internet text and voice communication application that has been in use for games since a few years. There are "servers" usually decicated to a particular area of interest. You need an account with a working email to register, as is usual today.

There are dedicated programs/apps for desktop PC and phones, as well as a browser version that is slightly restricted (due to browser limitations, I think). You can find out all about it here: https://discordapp.com/

It's free to use (as I do), but has the option to pay monthly ($10, I think) for some perks (like certain free games).

You can get to the official server for Dominion Online via

https://discord.gg/ZqkZcgQ

However, much more players and discussion happen at the general Dominion server

https://discord.gg/KDCWKeG

Stef (the developer) is active in both.

Discord is an online discussion, with players writing in different channels in a continouos stream. You might get an answer to a question within seconds (like I just did for the address of the second link above), but if want find out the result of a discussion a month back, that's harder. So it's more immediate and more ephemeral.