Dominion 2019 Errata and Rules Tweaks

Previous topic - Next topic

Donald X.

I am changing some rules and errata-ing some cards. And this post is telling you all about it.

The reasons behind these changes are:
- It's possible for two copies of a card to have different abilities. This causes problems, the worst (extremely exotic) situation being, you play a card and don't actually know what it should do. The cards that do this are also confusing in general.
- There are cases where card interactions fail in an unintuitive way, due to it mattering if cards in a discard pile are covered up.
- Two minor rules clarify things a little and simplify texts a little, and are just coming along for the ride.

These changes will be implemented in the online program soon, and are effective now for play irl. Of course if you are playing irl you may not know about them, or may choose to do whatever you choose to do. These are changes for the better though, and I recommend using them.

1. Errata

Eight cards are getting errata. Four are "shapeshifters" - they can change what they are, or what something else is. These create lots of rules questions and a few problems, and are switching to be like Captain and Necromancer - they'll play a card instead of becoming the card. Three are one-shots that would behave differently with the shapeshifters; they're changing to be more like they previously were, though this will change how they work in some other situations (e.g. with Necromancer and Captain). And then Procession is getting rid of the tracking problem introduced when the Throne/Duration rule changed a few years ago.

Someday those expansions will get printed again, and will have the new wordings, with FAQs to go with them. You can play with them right now though, through the magic of knowing about them.

New card texts:

Band of Misfits: Action, $5
Play an Action card from the Supply that costs less than this, leaving it there.

Overlord: Action, 8D
Play an Action card from the Supply costing up to $5, leaving it there.

Inheritance: Event, $7
Once per game: Set aside a non-Victory Action card from the Supply costing up to $4. Move your Estate token to it. (During your turns, Estates are also Actions with "Play the card with your Estate token, leaving it there.")

Lantern: Artifact
Border Guards you play reveal 3 cards and discard 2. (It takes all 3 being Actions to take the Horn.)

Death Cart: Action - Looter, $4
You may trash this or an Action card from your hand, for +$5.
----------
When you gain this, gain 2 Ruins.

Pillage: Action - Attack, $5
Trash this. If you did, gain 2 Spoils, and each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals their hand and discards a card that you choose.

Embargo: Action, $2
+$2
Trash this. If you did, add an Embargo token to a Supply pile. (For the rest of the game, when a player buys a card from that pile, they gain a Curse.)

Procession: Action, $4
You may play a non-Duration Action card from your hand twice. Trash it. Gain an Action card costing exactly $1 more than it.

2. Tracking for the former shapeshifters

Some cards, like the new Band of Misfits, can play a card that isn't put into play. When you play Band of Misfits, leave it in play as long as you would have left the card it plays in play. Normally that will be the same turn's Clean-up. For a Band of Misfits playing a Duration card, it will be the Clean-up of the last turn the Duration card has any effects. For a Band of Misfits playing a Throne Room playing a Duration card, it will be the Clean-up of the turn the Duration card leaves play. For a Band of Misfits playing a card that can move itself from play, like Mining Village, the Mining Village can't move itself, so Band of Misfits doesn't leave play any earlier than normal. If a Band of Misfits plays multiple Duration cards (e.g., you used Throne Room on it), leave it out until the Clean-up of the last turn that one of them still had effects.

These rules apply to all of the cards that play cards without putting them into play: currently, Band of Misfits, Overlord, Inheritance, Necromancer, and Captain.

3. The new lose-track rule, now stop-moving, and getting things from your discard pile

Sometimes, the game wants you to not move a card further. I used to call this lose-track, because it existed due to situations where you'd really lose track of the card. But mostly you know right where the card is, so now I am calling it the stop-moving rule. And it's changing too, as follows.

The stop-moving rule: An effect can move a card if it specifies where the card is coming from, or if the effect put the card where it is now. If a card isn't where the effect would expect it to be, or has moved away from there and then back, it can't move the card. Played cards expect to be in play; they can't move themselves if they aren't. Gained cards are expected to be where they were gained to, even if this isn't the discard pile. Cards in discard piles can be moved even if covered up by other cards; cards on top of a deck can't be moved once covered up.

Additionally, when you are told to get a card from your discard pile, you can look through it to get the card. That's just implicit. You don't have to just look at the top couple of cards, you can look through the whole discard pile.

The main change here is that previously you'd lose track of something if it were covered up in your discard pile, and now you don't. So for example if you Replace an Estate into Skulk, previously you would lose track of the Skulk when you gained a Gold and covered it up, but now you won't, you will put the Skulk onto your deck.

4. You can gain non-Supply cards when called out.

When a card tells you to gain a non-Supply card by name, you can gain it from its pile, even though it's not in the Supply.

This is just letting me drop "from its pile" from those cards, which wasn't a great way to make it clear that you really get to gain them.

5. Costs don't go below $0.

The cost in $ of a card can't go below $0. The cost in [potion] of a card can't go below 0 [potion]; the cost in [debt] of a card can't go below 0 [debt].

This is something that cards like Bridge have said; now it's just a rule, and covers the potion and debt cases since people ask. What does Vineyard cost with a Highway in play? Same as without it - zero coins, one potion, and zero debt.

*** Update! ***

Did I say that was the errata? There is more errata.

As a result of posting the errata, people have talked about it in forums and things, and the ShuffleiT version has gotten worked on. And this has resulted in two more desired changes. Well I'm counting it as two. And well the cards still won't be printed for months at least, but the online version is changing soon, so here they are.

The first is, when you are told to get a card from your discard pile, if it's not on top, or the card is chosen, you can look through your discard pile to get the card. You don't get to look through your discard pile to take the top card (again unless you're choosing a card from your discard pile). This change is because, well the idea to messing with when you could look in your discard pile was to fix some weird situations, not to add "look through your discard pile" to cards like Watchtower that never had it. In the rare situations where you gain a card and want to use Watchtower and the card is no longer on top, you get to look through your whole discard pile; when it's on top, just take the card like you used to.

The second is, further errata for four cards to prevent loops. You could do things like, play a Bridge and use Inheritance on Band of Misfits and then play Band of Misfits to play Estate to play Band of Misfits to play Estate and it's a loop. The fix here is a type on these cards, that they then don't work with. This affects very little other than getting rid of the loops; Courtier is better with these cards, and if you e.g. have an Adventures token on Band of Misfits and wanted to play Captain to play Band of Misfits (with a Bridge) to take advantage of that, well, now that doesn't work. This fix includes Overlord even though it wasn't part of the loops, just to be safe for the future and because it looks like the other cards and this seems less confusing. And hey it was already getting errata. To avoid "non-Victory non-Command" on Inheritance, I'm dropping non-Victory, which was just there for the old way Inheritance worked.

So:

Band of Misfits: Action - Command, $5
Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply that costs less than this, leaving it there.

Overlord: Action - Command, 8D
Play a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $5, leaving it there.

Once per game: Set aside a non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $4. Move your Estate token to it. (During your turns, Estates are also Actions with "Play the card with your Estate token, leaving it there.")

Captain: Action - Duration - Command, $6
Now and at the start of your next turn: Play a non-Duration non-Command Action card from the Supply costing up to $4, leaving it there.

santamonica811

A few questions:

Trash this. If you did, gain 2 Spoils, and each other player with 5 or more cards in hand reveals their hand and discards a card that you choose.

Q:  If I play Pillage from the trash (Necromancer), will this be considered a "new" trashing (ie, one that gives the usual Pillage benefits)? 

Play an Action card from the Supply that costs less than this, leaving it there.

Q:  In the past, if you had already played a cost-reducer (e.g., Highway), you could play a "Was 5 but now is 4" card with Band of Misfits.  If you played two cost-reducers, you could play a "6" card like Goons with your BoM.  Cool.  And powerful.  But as I read the new language, this can no longer be done, correct?  You play Highway twice, reducing Goons to a 4 card.  You then play BoM.  But your BoM is now only a 2-value card, so you can only play no-cost and 1-value cards, right?  (And if you had a great engine and, for example, played 5 Bridges first, there would be no point in playing BoM, since that would now be a 0-value card and all other cards would cost 0 (or more) for the rest of that turn.)

This new language is in contrast to Overlord's new language, which allows playing any 5-value card.  So, playing Highway (Bridge, etc etc) first would allow Overlord to play a normally-6-value card like Goons.

Am I reading this correctly?  I take it that this different treatment of BoM and Overlord was intentional.

Ingix

Quote from: josh bornstein on 24 September 2019, 11:13:04 PM
A few questions:

Q:  If I play Pillage from the trash (Necromancer), will this be considered a "new" trashing (ie, one that gives the usual Pillage benefits)? 

No, the Pillage wasn't trashed. It was supposed to move from the in-play zone to the trash zone, but that didn't happen, because it wasn't in the in-play zone to start with. So you did not trash the Pillage and you don't gain Spoils/make your opponent discard.

This is the same reasoning that was often explained for Throne Room + Mining Villages. If you trash it on the first play, you get the +$2, because it can move from in-play to trash. On the second play, you get +1 Card/+2 Actions, but you can't get the +$2 the second time, because you can't trash the card, with the same reasoning as above.

Quote from: josh bornstein on 24 September 2019, 11:13:04 PM

Q:  In the past, if you had already played a cost-reducer (e.g., Highway), you could play a "Was 5 but now is 4" card with Band of Misfits. 

Nope, you couldn't do that in the past. You can't do it now. No change for Band of Misfits and Overlord. The only way to play a card that naturally costs $5 or more with Band of Misfits is to reduce the cost of that card, without affecting the Band's cost. Since both are Actions, I think the only way to do that is the -$2 token from Ferry. Or play Band of Misfits in your buy phase somehow and you can probably play Peddler.

santamonica811

Thanks Ingix,
Hmmm...my memory must be playing tricks on me.  I thought I had done that before (ie, lower a card's cost and then play it via Band of Misfits once it was 4 or lower).  But from what you wrote; that memory must be faulty.

The Pillage rule makes total sense--I was asking just to make sure that my thoughts were accurate.

Donald X.

OP updated with the errata to the errata.

ssly

for Japanese players.

いくつかのルール変更およびカードの修正を実施することになりましたので、この投稿ですべて説明します。変更の理由は以下のとおりです。

• カードの中には同じ名前が書かれているにもかかわらず異なる能力を持ってしまうものがあり、問題の原因となっていました。最悪の場合(極めて奇天烈な状況ながら)、カードを使用するというのに何を実行するのかわからなくなります。ここまで極端でないにしてもこの手のカードは混乱を招きがちです。
  • 捨て札にあるカードが覆われてしまうとそのカードに対する効果が失敗する場合がありましたが、直観的ではありませんでした。
  • 細かいルールを2点追加し、少しばかりの明確化とテキストの簡略化を行います。

変更はオンライン上でまもなく実装することになっていますが、実機についてはこの投稿を以て即座に有効とします。もちろん、実際のカードで遊ぶときは把握していなくてもよいでしょうし、好きなように遊んでもらってかまいません。とはいえ、変更により改善する点は多く、適用するよう推奨します。

1. エラッタ

8種類のカードにエラッタを適用します。4種は「変身」系カードです。これらは別のものへと姿を変えたり、他のカードの形を違うものに変えてしまいます。多くのルール上の疑問や若干の不具合を引き起こしてきたため、これらのカードは船長やネクロマンサーに類するカードに修正します。すなわち、自身が別のカードに変わるのではなく、カードを選んで使用するようになります。3種は使い捨て系カードで、上述の旧変身系カードと組み合わせると異なる挙動になるでしょう。修正後もこれまでと大きく変わることはありませんが、状況によっては働きが変わります(例えばネクロマンサーや船長と組み合わせた場合)。最後に行進ですが、玉座の間 - 持続カードのルールが数年前に変わった際に発生してしまった、持続効果のトラッキングに関する問題を解消しています。

将来的にはそれぞれ収録されている拡張セットを刷り直し、新しいテキストを持ったカードと対応するFAQを作りますが、おおやけになった以上これらの変更は直ちに適用してもらってかまいません。

新しいカードテキストは以下のとおりです。

はみだし者 アクション、$5
サプライにある、これより安いアクションカード1枚を、場に出さずに使用する。

大君主 アクション、8負債
サプライにあるコスト$5以下のアクションカード1枚を、場に出さずに使用する。

相続 イベント、$7
ゲーム中に1度のみ:サプライからコスト$4以下の勝利点以外のアクションカード1枚を脇に置く。あなたの屋敷トークンを、そのカードへ移動する(あなたのターン中、屋敷はアクションカードでもあり、能力「あなたの屋敷トークンを置いたカードを、脇に置いたまま使用する」を持つ)。

角灯 アーティファクト
あなたの使用する国境警備隊は3枚カードを公開し、2枚捨て札にするようになる(その3枚がすべてアクションカードの場合、角笛を得る)。

死の荷車 アクション - 略奪者、$4
+$5のために、これか手札のアクションカード1枚を廃棄してもよい。
----------
このカードを獲得したとき、廃墟2枚を獲得する。

略奪 アクション - アタック、$5
このカードを廃棄する。そうした場合、略奪品2枚を獲得し、手札が5枚以上の他のプレイヤーは全員、手札を公開し、あなたが選択するカード1枚を捨て札にする。

抑留 アクション、$2
+$2
これを廃棄する。そうした場合、サプライ1山の上に抑留トークン1枚を追加する(ゲーム終了まで、その山からカード1枚を購入するとき、呪い1枚を獲得する)。

行進 アクション $4
手札の持続カード以外のアクションカード1枚を2度使用してもよい。それを廃棄する。それよりコストが$1高いアクションカード1枚を獲得する。

2. 元変身系カードにより発生する効果のトラッキング

カードの中には上述の新しいはみだし者のように、カードを使用するにもかかわらず場に出さないものがあります。はみだし者を使用するときは、はみだし者によって使用するカードが本来場を離れることになる時点まで、はみだし者を場に出したままにしておきます。通常、使用したのと同じターンのクリーンアップフェイズですが、持続カードを使用したはみだし者については、持続カードが一切の効果を終える最後のターンのクリーンアップフェイズになります。一方で、はみだし者で玉座の間を使用し、それによって持続カードを使用した場合、その持続カードが場を離れるターンのクリーンアップフェイズになります。はみだし者で使用したカードが自身を場から移動できるカードの場合――例えば鉱山の村だとしましょう。この場合、鉱山の村は自身を移動することができません。したがってはみだし者はまったく通常どおり場を離れます。はみだし者が複数の持続カードを使用する場合(例:玉座の間を使ってはみだし者を使う場合)、そのうち一つでも効果が残っている最後のターンのクリーンアップフェイズまで場に出しておきます。

このルールはカードを使用するにもかかわらず場に出すことのないものすべてに適用します。現在のところ、はみだし者、大君主、相続、ネクロマンサー、船長があります。

3. 消息不明ルール改め移動阻止ルール、および捨て札からのカード移動

ゲーム中、一度移動したカードをそれ以上移動できなくなることがあります。これを消息不明と呼びならわしていました。実際にそのカードを見失ってしまう状況のためのルールでした。しかし、たいていは正確にそのカードの在処をわかっているものですから、これからは移動阻止ルールと呼ぶことにします。このルールは次のように修正します。

移動阻止ルール:ある効果がなんらかのカードを移動できるのは、効果がカードをどこから移動するか特定している場合、あるいは効果が、そのカードを今まさにある場所に置いた場合に限られます。あるはずだと効果が予期する場所にカードがない、あるいはあったとしても一度場を離れてから戻ってきていた場合、その効果はカードを動かせません。なお、使用したカードは場に出ているはずだと予期されます。したがって、場に出ていなければそのカード自身による効果であっても移動することはできません。獲得したカードは獲得先に(捨て札ではない場合もある)あるはずだと予期されます。捨て札のカードは他のカードによって覆われてしまっても移動できますが、デッキの一番上にあるカードは覆われると移動できません。

加えて、捨て札からカードを移動するように指示があった場合は、そのカードを移動するために捨て札をすべて見ることができるようになります。これは上述のルールから派生するにすぎません。捨て札の上のほう数枚だけしか見てはならないということはなく、捨て札全体を見てかまいません。

この修正の主眼は、旧来は捨て札で覆われてしまったカードを消息不明としていたところ、今後は見失わなくなるという点にあります。例として、身代わりで屋敷を暗躍者にするとしましょう。旧来は金貨を獲得することで暗躍者が覆われてしまうため消息不明となっていましたが、今後は見失わずデッキの上に置くことになります。

4. サプライに置かないカードは名指しされると獲得できるようになる。

サプライに置かないカードを獲得する指示に名前が明示されている場合、獲得はそのカードの山札(もちろんサプライにはない)から行います。

このルールによって、この類のカードテキストから「そのカードの山から」という表現を取り除くことができます。実際に獲得できることを表すにはあまりスマートと言えなかったためです。

5. コストは$0未満にならない。

カードの$コストは$0未満になりません。同じくポーションコストは0ポーション未満になりませんし、負債コストは0負債未満になりません。

これは橋のようなカードで個別に決められていましたが、今後は一般ルールの1つとなり、ポーションや負債についても適用します。わざわざ尋ねてくる人もいましたから。ブドウ園のコストは街道が場に出ているときいくつになるでしょう。$0、1ポーション、0負債です。

追加改定!

エラッタは前回〔上述部分〕ですべてだと言ったでしょうか。追加エラッタがあります。

前回の投稿を受けて、フォーラムなどで話し合ったり、Shuffle iTで実装準備を進めたりしてきました。この過程で2点追加で変更することが望ましいと判断するに至りました。2点、と数えることにしましょう。やはり実際の〔英語版〕カードとして刷るのは早くとも何か月も先のことになりますが、オンライン版はもうまもなく変更になりますので、ここで見ていきましょう。

1点目。捨て札からカードを動かすよう指示があったにもかかわらずそのカードが捨て札の一番上にないとき〔例:身代わりで暗躍者獲得〕、あるいは捨て札からカードを選択するよう指示されたとき〔例:ゴミあさり〕、捨て札の中を見てそのカードを動かせるものとします。捨て札の一番上のカードを移動できるなら捨て札の中を見ることはできません(捨て札からカードを選択する指示の場合ではないときの話です)。この微修正には次のような理由があります。前回のルール変更で捨て札を参照するときに漁ってもよいとした意図は、旧来の奇妙な処理を修正するためで、「捨て札置き場のカードをすべて見て」というテキストを今まで書かれていなかった望楼などのカードに書き足すためではありませんでした。カードを獲得して望楼を使いたい、でもその獲得したカードがすでに一番上からいなくなっている、という状況はそうそう起こりませんが、そんなときでも捨て札すべてを見て見つけられるというわけです。そのカードが一番上にあるときは、これまでどおり移動するだけになります。

2点目。追加エラッタをカード4種に適用することで、無限ループを防止します。次のような無限ループが可能でした。橋を使用してはみだし者に相続を使っておきます。すると、はみだし者を使用することで屋敷を使用して、それによるはみだし者の使用でまた屋敷を使用して、と無限ループになります。今回の修正でこれらのカードは新しいカードタイプを得て、相互に組み合わせられなくなります。ループを取り除く以外にはほとんど影響がありません。たしかに廷臣がこれらのカードと組み合わさると強くなりますし、また、『ドミニオン:冒険』のトークンをはみだし者に置いていた場合に、船長ではみだし者を使用し(橋使用済み)トークンの効果を得たいと思っても、今後はできなくなりますが。この修正は、無限ループの一環ではなかった大君主にも及びます。将来的に不都合がないようにするため、そして修正される他のカードに類似していて混乱を招きにくいと思われるためです。そもそもすでにエラッタを受けているカードでもあります。相続については、「勝利点カードでも司令 Commandカードでもなく」というテキストを避けるため、「勝利点カードでも」を取り除くことにしました。旧来のように相続を機能させるためだけに残していたものですから。

したがって以下のようになります。

はみだし者 アクション - 司令、$5
サプライにある、これより安く司令カードでないアクションカード1枚を場に出さずに使用する。

大君主 アクション - 司令、8負債
サプライにあるコスト$5以下の、司令カード以外のアクションカード1枚を、場に出さずに使用する。

相続 イベント、$7
ゲーム中に1度のみ:サプライから司令カード以外のコスト$4以下のアクションカード1枚を脇に置く。その上にあなたの屋敷トークンを移動する(あなたのターン中、屋敷はアクションカードでもあり、能力「あなたの屋敷トークンを置いたカードを場に出さずに使用する。」を持つ)。

船長 アクション - 持続 - 司令、$6
現在とあなたの次のターンの開始時に、サプライにある、持続カードでも司令カードでもないコスト$4以下のアクションカード1枚を、場に出さずに使用する。

翻訳元:Dominion 2019 Errata and Rules Tweaks

nessuno

just 2 questions.
Is there a way now to remember what you have played with a BoM or an Overlord?
if you play Disciple and BoM or Overlord now you get a BoM or an Overlord instead of the card you emulate?

Thank you

Ingix

Quote from: nessuno on 15 October 2019, 02:43:34 PM
Is there a way now to remember what you have played with a BoM or an Overlord?
No, you'd have to look that up in the log.

Quote from: nessuno on 15 October 2019, 02:43:34 PM
if you play Disciple and BoM or Overlord now you get a BoM or an Overlord instead of the card you emulate?

Correct. Those cards no longer shapeshift into a card, they play that card now and stays themselves the whole time.

jgoyes

WOW, I took a month rest from Dominion and when I came back there are lots of changes to the cards and the interface lol!

I will read the post carefully tomorrow.

Thank you for getting things better!

orbitsoldier

Hi Donald --

I am trying to figure out how to break the news to my 9-year-old son that inheriting highways is no longer epic.  I don't quite understand why playing an Estate now after inheriting highway doesn't make cards cost -1.  It has something to do with "non-command action cards," but it's not clear to me what a non-command action card is.

All I know is that he's going to be really upset when he learns about the change!

Cheer,

OS

Ingix

Sorry for the disappointment for your son. :(

Each rules change makes people sad first becasue they first learn of the good things they did that no longer work. It takes time to realize all the good things that work now but didn't before, like inheriting an Encampment or Experiment is much better now.

To explain why inheriting Highways is no longer 'nice', look at the cards texts. When you bought an Inheritance, we have the following effects on Estate (from Inheritance):

QuoteDuring your turns, Estates are also Actions with "Play the card with your Estate token, leaving it there."

And of course Highway reads:
+1 Card/+1 Action
----
While this is in play, cards cost less than $1, but not less than $0.

The key sentence is on Estate, it plays the Highway you've set aside when you bought Inheritance, it doesn't gain the abilities (as it did before the errata) of the Highway. In this way, it has been made to work similar to cards like Necromancer (from Nocturne) or Captain (a promotional card).

Since the Highway played never leaves the set aside zone, it never is in play. So its below-the-line ability never activates, because it never is in play!

The same is true for similar cards with below-the-line effects, like Haggler.

katie_mi

Inheritance/Encampment under the new rules
As I just played it, the estates played as Encampments no longer require you to show a gold or a plunder, because they will always stay in your deck. I understand that the new text says "play it as that card leaving it there", so basically there is no returning but it changes the core of the card. And it also means the card is acting differently depending if it's a real encampment or an estate/encampment.
Wasn't it the intent of the changes to make cards acting the same all the time?

Ingix

Quote from: katie_mi on 28 October 2019, 03:57:42 PM
Inheritance/Encampment under the new rules
As I just played it, the estates played as Encampments no longer require you to show a gold or a plunder, because they will always stay in your deck. I understand that the new text says "play it as that card leaving it there",
Emphasis from Ingix

At least your writing (and possibly your thinking) is still working "in the old ways", see the 2 parts that I marked.

You no longer play Estates "as" some other card. Once you have bought Inheritance, on your turns all the Estates say "Play the card with your Estate token, leaving it there." It now works very similar to Captain and Necromancer.

You play an Estate (putting it into play) and that Estate playes the card under your Estate token, in your example the Encampment, but leaves it where it is, not putting it into play. That works just as with Captain or Necromancer playing an Encampment. If you don't reveal a Gold or Plunder, the Encampment effect will try to set itself aside, but it can't, because it expects itself in play, which it isn't. Again, that is the same behaviour as with Captain/Necromancer.

Quote from: katie_mi on 28 October 2019, 03:57:42 PM
so basically there is no returning but it changes the core of the card. And it also means the card is acting differently depending if it's a real encampment or an estate/encampment.
Wasn't it the intent of the changes to make cards acting the same all the time?

Again, your are still thinking "in the old ways". The Estates no longer become Encampments, all they do on your turn is gain the Action type (precedent: Capitalism) and gain the text "Play the card with your Estate token, leaving it there." The Estate is played and put into play, as is usual for any played Action card. It then plays the set aside Encampment, and (unusually) makes it stay where it is.

As you noticed, that has consequences, inheriting Encampments, Experiments or Wine Merchants is better than before. OTOH, since the card under the Estate token is not put into play, inheriting cards like Highway or Sauna is weaker now (no cost reduction from Highway, not trashing from Sauna). Inheriting Reaction cards like Diplomat now makes them not usuable for the Reaction part, either.

You are correct that there are some cards that Inheritance now works differently with, some for the better, some for the worse. Generally look out for cards that move themselves out of play, cards that do something while they are in play, or Reactions that work from your hand.

santamonica811

Ingix,
With this new change; what happens now if you designate a card for Inheritance (let's use Militia as an example), it works fine as the game progresses, but then--over time--all the Militia cards are bought out?  Under the old rules, this is no problem...you designated Militia back when there was 1+ Militia cards still left, and so you can continue to play Estates as Militia even after that pile is depleted.

But under the new rules, will Inheritance still work?  Does the fact that your Inher. token is on Militia 'trump' the fact that there are no more Militia available?

Ingix

Once per game: Set aside a non-Victory Action card from the Supply costing up to $4. Move your Estate token to it. (During your turns, Estates are also Actions with "Play the card with your Estate token, leaving it there.")

Under the old and the new rules, when you buy Inheritance, you take a Militia card from the Supply and put it 'aside' and your Estate token onto it (see first sentence above). That has not changed. You do not put the Estate token on a pile or something similiar.

So if the Milita pile becomes empty, that is not a problem, the Militia your Estates now play is safely set aside, and AFAIK there is no way to move it away from the position.