Add penalty for resign in Ranked games.

Previous topic - Next topic

bopeng

Can you add a penalty for resign in ranked games, or need approval by opponent. It hurts game play a player can resign whenever they want. Dota 2 for example used to not have a penalty for quitting games early in dota 1. But now in dota 2 there is a penalty, and alot less players quit during the game and it helps the game be a lot better.

Ingix

If you are talking a 2-player game, then the penalty is simply a loss by the resigning player (and a win by the other player). That has the usual ratings consequences. I'm not sure what more you would want.

In 3-player games, the penalty is harsher, the ratings loss by the resigning players is magnified, because it makes it impossible to get an accurate result between the remaining players.

Dota 2 is a team game, so if you quit, you are actively hurting your own team mates. In Dominion, there are no team mates, you hurt yourself only in 2-player games, and as I explained, you get a harcher penalty then just placing third in a 3-player game.

cruxor

Dominion (2 player) is more like chess or go than Dota2.

In those games it is considered respectful to resign a game when you've clearly lost. If you play it out to the end, you're wasting both you and your opponent's time.

Dominion is still a little different in that randomness can play a role. So you need to set your own threshold where you resign at, say, < 2% chance of winning.

However, it seems like some people in the winning position like to play the game out anyway. One concession I'll make is it might be better etiquette to ask your opponent before resigning.

What I'd really like to know is how to tell an opponent that I would welcome their resignation without sounding like a jerk. Along the same vein, I sometimes get tunnel vision and don't notice how badly I'm losing. I would welcome someone politely pointing this out to me.

cruxor

Dominion (3+ player) is a different matter. I don't like that there's a bigger penalty for resigning rather than losing, but I understand it.

There are two conflicting issues here. On the one hand, it can be very un-fun to keep playing a hopeless game where you can't do anything. And it can be a waste of everyone's time to finish out the game. On the other, we want to give the other player's a chance to sort out their rankings in the game.

Perhaps there should be a way for the whole table to agree to end the game early with a particular ranking of players. A relatively simple way to implement this would be an "Offer Resignation" button where the order in which people press it determines their ranking in the game. And once a player has pressed "Offer Resignation", add two new buttons: "Retract Resignation" and "Immediately Resign".