Random number generation biased?

Previous topic - Next topic

jackDozen

I am new to the platform (well couple of months new). I was playing a game with an opponent (I wont name him/her because I would like the discussion to be logical than to shame someone). This opponent insisted that the shuffles of dominion are biased. Well i thought it was pretty absurd at first because I couldnt figure out the motive that why developers would do that. Just to make a game more interesting? Dont know. And come to think of it, even if it is biased, favor action cards more in shuffles vs victory vs treasure, for two opponents in a particular game, the shuffles would still be random for them (anyone can get anything). But in some cases it can make the game more favored towards someone who bought an action first vs treasure. Anyway, listing pros and cons of biased shuffles would be moot if they are truly random, which I like to believe that they are. Any developers here who can comment on this?

Ingix

Not sure if Stef (the developer) will answer, but doing this intentionally borders on the absurd (errors can of course happen, but seem unlikely). What would be the purpose of this? We all had super hands at a time and dud hands at others.

Most importantly, unlesss someone comes forward with at least something that could be considered evidence, it makes IMO no sense to even start discussing this.

katie_mi

I may have played with the same player who insisted that there is an advantage for paying players who will get better draws to keep them happy and paying.
Of course, this is absurd but a good conspiracy theory to explain why you lose a game when you pay nothing. LOL

Rabid

I think each game uses a fixed seed.
So if you undo a wishing well for example.
Deck will remain in the same order.
Same is true if you use the load game function.