Undoing a Rebuild basically gave a victory card without trashing one

Previous topic - Next topic

Yardbird

Unfortunately, I didn't catch the game number and server (there doesn't seem to be a way to check past games), but it happened today (as of posting this) just about 5 minutes ago.

Anyway, I have a screenshot of it.  My opponent plays Rebuild and accidentally clicks estate.  They only have estates and ask for a redo, so I oblige.  After the redo, no victory card is trashed, but they gain a Duchy somehow.  According to them, on their client, they trashed an Estate and got a Duchy.  I don't see their estate in the trash, but the log has them gaining a Duchy.  On my next turn, I play a Rebuild and trash my own Duchy to get a Province.  Then I play the second Rebuild you can see in the picture and trash an Estate.  However, the game will not allow me to get a Duchy!  It only lets me get an Estate.  I tell my opponent and ask for an undo.  My opponent grants it, and everything seems to be fixed.  The log (turn 13, opponent's turn) is fixed and their Estate appears to be trashed in it, the Estate shows up in the Trash, and when I play Rebuild again after my undo, I can gain a Duchy after trashing an Estate, so the game state seems to have figured itself out.  Seems like a weird desync error.

In conclusion, as you can see in the screenshot, turn 13, my opponent Rebuilds and just gains a Duchy but on their screen they say the Estate is trashed.  Later on my turn, I cannot gain a Duchy when I trash an Estate until I ask for an undo.  After the undo, the log is fixed and the game state seems to go back to normal, and I can gain a Duchy after trashing an Estate.

Ingix

Big thanks for the report! If you want to look at basic info of rated past games of yourself or others, you can use the DomBot on the Dominion Discord. This way I could find your game (32495282). Ask if you need more details about the discord or DomBot.

I could reproduce the behaviour during your opponent's turn 13 sometimes (sometimes not). I assume it has to do when exactly in the execution of the "Rebuild that names Estate" the undo command comes and when it is approved.

In my test case, when I have "Wait for card animations" on, it takes quite a while for the Rebuild to show you (the opponent of the Rebuild player) all the revealed cards, because it will reveal all the cards in the deck and then the discard pile. If I waited until all this was over with the undo request, it would work OK.

But if I (as your opponent) made the undo request fast and I approved (as you) also fast, it would sometimes be in the state you described. No mention of the trash in the log and only 2 Estates in the trash view. Or mention of the trash in log, but still only show 2 Estates in the trash. So definitely a bug.

What you can genreally do in cases as this is to do a page reload (Ctrl-R on Windows for Firefox and Chrome). The error was (most probably) some miscommunication between the server and your browser during the undo, which made your browser show incorrect things. It shouldn't happen, but in rare cases it does.

A page reload is a complete "let's start from a clean slate" kind of procedure, which takes a few seconds time, but is more robust. When I did that after I could reproduce the bug, it always worked and had the log show the complete rebuild, including the revealing part, the trashing part and the gaining part.

Yardbird

That is true, the opponent's cards were still being revealed as I accepted the Undo request.