option for ordering starting deck

Previous topic - Next topic

davogotland

more than a few games give unreasonably big advantages to some starting decks, for example 5/2 copper split. on isotropic there used to be an option to force everyone to get 3/4-start, but with "heirlooms" that seems weird.

when i play afk i prefer using this rule. especially when playing with skilled players. it works really well.

(i saw this being requested specifically for solo games about 4 months ago. that thread had 0 replies, and when i clicked "reply" it said "this post is 120 days old, are you sure you want to reply in it and not just start a new thread all together?" so here i am)

Ingix

I can't find the exact post, but Donald X., the game's creator, is strongly against taking such equalizing changes. There is luck in the game, undeniably, but that isn't limited to your starting hand. Bottemdecking one of your cards bought before your first shuffle is frustrating as well, which has an even higher likelyhood than a 2/5 opening.

In the end, the luck should even out. Usually it does, but most people are much more prone to remember their bad luck (3/4 when opponent had 2/5 and a Junker at 5 in the Kingdom) that their good luck (the other way around).

davogotland

Quote from: Ingix on 03 April 2020, 07:42:12 AM
I can't find the exact post, but Donald X., the game's creator, is strongly against taking such equalizing changes.

that's a bit unexpected i must say, since it was an option on isotropic, and (as i understood it) vaccarino worked closely with the guy who created that implementation.

i'd really like to read that statement you're referring to. i've tried finding it, but without luck.

crlundy

Here is his response to a similar feature request, which may have the info you're looking for: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1398.msg4467#msg4467

davogotland

Quote from: crlundy on 10 April 2020, 12:31:36 AM
Here is his response to a similar feature request, which may have the info you're looking for: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=1398.msg4467#msg4467

thanks! an interesting read. i guess something about seeing that implementation on isotropic must have really turned him off from it.