Games are frequently slow and/or freeze repeatedly

Previous topic - Next topic

carmypies

Sometime in the last few months, I've noticed a dramatic decrease in performance. I normally play on 4-player with all bots. I'm located in Texas, US.
Every turn or so the game freezes or processes so slowly that it might as well be frozen. Refreshing will allow the game to continue until the next turn, where it freezes again. I basically play by refreshing, making a move, refreshing, but this is obviously sub-optimal performance.

I experience this problem on different computers on different networks. I predominantly use Chrome.

Ingix

That sounds like your connection to the server is slow/disrupted at that point, which can be anything and is probably not under your control (my access to this forum for example sometimes slows to a crawl for a few hours and then goes back to normal without any apparent reason on my side, and I can access other sites at that time without problems).

There are 3 game servers that serve the games: Frankfurt, Oregon and Tokyo, which are AFAIK also located at those locations. One would assume that your connection to Oregon would be best. I'm not sure how the game distributes games on these servers, I assume on some kind of load balancing scheme.

So my suggestion: If you are at such times where the game slows down, note down to which server you are connected (it's in the first line of the chat, which should be empty when you play bots). Once you see a pattern (I would assume that Oregon gives you the least problems), when you start a game not on a good server, immediately resign it and try again (Again, I'm assuming a bot game) until you reach a 'good for you' server.