most points against LordRattington

Previous topic - Next topic

nidzela

just for fun...
i managed to earn 2686 VP against AI, 2 player game. i missplayed quite a few hands, so it must be possible to reach 3000 easily. but what about 5000 VP? for solitaire lovers, only.

check #34438848:

Required cards: Council Room, Ambassador, Goons, King's Court, Groundskeeper, Procession, Bandit Camp, Border Village, Rogue, Market Square, Mission, Donate, Triumph, Tomb.

Special kingdom rules: Colonies, No Shelters

jsh

You can pretty easily get infinite VP. One way to lock the bot would be to use a masq cutpurse pin to eliminate their deck and then tax copper. Then just play a bunch of monuments or whatever.

SkyHard

Quote from: jsh on 08 January 2020, 01:39:12 AM
You can pretty easily get infinite VP. One way to lock the bot would be to use a masq cutpurse pin to eliminate their deck and then tax copper. Then just play a bunch of monuments or whatever.

Maybe check the required cards first ;-)

nidzela

Quote from: SkyHard on 08 January 2020, 06:13:55 PM
Maybe check the required cards first ;-)

oh, well... i didn't mean to narrow the set. it was just a personal trial.
the point here could be to design a better set, and maximize final score... open question, IMHO.

that's right. i suffered that strategy once, a memorable occasion it was. and i didn't fully understand how it worked so well!

but thinking it twice i don't like that answer: such infinite score is theoric, as long as you need infinite time (rounds) to reach it. i would penalize the excess of time by discounting an increasing amount of VP depending on the number of played rounds (Fibonacci numbers, 2^n seems too hard). this way you wouldn't dare to trespass a threshold of 16 or 17 rounds, and the game needs to be finite.

let's say, for example:

SOLO SCORE = VP - IA - Fn

where

VP is your final score,
IA is Lord Rattington's final score,
Fn is the n-th Fibonacci number,
n is the number of rounds you've played.

this way looks far more interesting, to me.

i just played this set (#34487005):
Required cards: Scrying Pool, King's Court, Fortress, Rogue, Groundskeeper, Goons, Grand Market, Procession, Peasant, Bridge, Tomb, Donate, Triumph, Mission

i beated Lord Rattington in 11 rounds, final scoring was 1473/14. my SOLO SCORE would be 1370.

jsh

Hey you can't just change the rules because you don't like the answer, dude.

nidzela

then i said it unproperly, because i appreciated your comment (so much that it made me think of a possible improvement). taking into account that we can't be playing infinitely my suggestion makes sense, beyond rules... i was introducing a kind of measure of victory quality.

let me express it in another way: a challenge. reach 5000 VP in 20 rounds.
how many rounds would your "infinite game method" require to obtain such a number?

nidzela

i've realised of a much more effective way of gaining points quite indefinitely, based on Conquest (which can report at about 20, 30 or 40 VP per 6-coin buy repeatedly), rather than Triumph (which is limited by total amount of cards and impossibility of regaining estates from trash). i've just reached 4827 VP in 13 turns at first attempt on game #34673394, with this set:

Special kingdom rules: Colonies, No Shelters
Required cards: Ambassador, Bishop, Goons, King's Court, Market Square, Rogue, Peasant, City Quarter, Priest, Fortress, Tomb, Donate, Conquest, Mission.

market square is quite annoying because of recurrent trashing decisions (to avoid gaining gold, that soon becomes useless and populates trash), so i'm considering exchanging it for working's village.

demiurge

I watched the bot lock itself by chapeling all his coppers.

bluey_the_bear

Quote from: nidzela on 14 January 2020, 01:26:04 AMrather than Triumph (which is limited by total amount of cards and impossibility of regaining estates from trash).
This is not strictly speaking true; if you buy Inheritance, you can gain estates from the trash with Lurker.

This is also a moot point because of some already-established infinite loops, such as:

Hand is Storyteller, Monument, Rogue, Watchtower. There is a Mandarin in the trash and you've bought Capitalism.
Play the Storyteller, and as a part of that play the Monument and then the Rogue. Gain the Mandarin with Rogue, topdecking the Storyteller, Monument, and Rogue, but react with Watchtower, trashing the Mandarin again. Storyteller then continues resolving and draws 4 cards, putting you back with the same hand as before (+1 bonus card) but with 1 VP. Repeat until you get bored.