Dominion Online and the BLind

Previous topic - Next topic

Elwin

Hi there,

I'm writing as a totally blind player who has recently discovered DOminion, and is very much enjoying the platform thus far. There are a few fairly simple accessibility fixes which would go a long way towards making the user experience more pleasant. I am a web accessibility consultant by trade, so would be happy to discuss some of these at greater length if it would be helpful.

The number one problem I have is differentiating between the various game areas. Some markup could definitely help, because at the moment the cards are all one lump, and it's only possible to tell with difficulty what's my hand vs discard pile vs the community supply. I did eventually figure it out, but I don't like having to spend brain power on that.

Related to the above, the log could stand to be formatted with headings and such to separate turns. It's annoying to have to go down to the bottom to read what's going on, although without live regions of some kind that would probably be required anyway.

It's hard to tell what cards I'm discarding because there's no obvious indication of their status. Some markup could help here too, just to say "this card is selected."
In general, live regions could be used to convey card plays far more easily than the current log does. It's slow to have to review every turn, especially with multiple players, though technically possible.

These are just my rough observations from a quick game. I enjoyed it despite the accessibility issues, and look forward to more.

I should note that this experience was with GOogle CHrome on Mac, and the experience with other browsers or screen readers is likely somewhat different.

HOpe to hear from anyone if this is a possibility.
Thanks much :)

santamonica811

Elwin,
Nice to see you here, thanks for the post, and thanks for the offer to help out.  The fact that you are willing to do this consulting for free is a very kind gesture and I hope the game's host/developer take you up on it.  The more people who are able to fully enjoy the online version of Dominion, the better.