Rating not updating?

Previous topic - Next topic

Ingix

The ratings updated used to be done every day around midnight UTC, but at the moment they are not done, so all player's ratings are unchanged since 2+ weeks.

jacobpb

No updates are being posted at this time.

andylatto

It would be nice to have an update on when ratings will be recalculated. I'm new to the site (as I'm sure a lot of other quarantined people are), low-rated, and winning 80% of my matched games. It would be really nice to be able to use the matcher to play other strong players, but I can't do that until my rating goes up.

Ingix

The problem is we don't know. We are testing as we speak, but we need to be sure that the new method is not doing strange things sometimes, which it currently does.

Angst

I hope you can fix the problem quickly. Without ratings, the game is only half the fun  :(

Stef

Quote from: Angst on 23 April 2020, 07:18:04 PM
I hope you can fix the problem quickly. Without ratings, the game is only half the fun  :(

well... I'm certainly not going to claim I managed to fix this quickly, but it was pretty quickly after you posted this message :)

ben latraverse

Hi

Since the new version is in place, I played 2 games (in the last 4 hours) and I won.

But when I logged in 5 minutes ago, my 2 games has disappeared. ???

Did you restore a database ?

Thanks.

Ingix

No database was restored and the new midnight calculation was 1h after your posting (and seemed to have worked well).

I belieive you that samething strange may have happpened, but because of the ratings reboot some tools (like dombot, but could also be the in-game leaderbord) may be not showing the correct data.

So if possible please tell me what information exactly causes you to come to that conclusion? The number of played games in the leaderboard jumped back? Dombot listet no or not enough games for yesterday's date? Or something else?

ben latraverse

Hi,

I just verified this morning, no my 2 games are not there.

At my first logon yesterday with the new version, I saw my rating. (first time in the last 3 weeks)

1. 5311 games with 52.87 (at my first logon)
2. 5312 games with 52.97 (my first game with a win at 12:15 PM EST)
3. 5313 games with 53.05 (my second game with a win at 15:50 PM EST)
4. And when I logon in at 17:45 PM EST, I was back at 5311 games and with my rating at 52.87.

So, this morning, I'm still at 5311 games with 52.87.

Could you check again please ? I'm sure it's happen something when the "big job" is starting at 00:00 UTC.

Thanks.

Ingix

Are you sure that the number of games played shown is 5311? Because dombot says you played 5316 games and have rating 52.87 and it also says you haven't played any game today (which whould of course make the rating different from before).

I'll forward this to Stef, maybe he can make more sense of it and with your timing data it should hopefully be possible to identify the games.

Ingix

First, you did not see ghosts!  ;D
The effect is happening right now as well (for me, for example).

Explanation is most likely as follows:

There are actually 2 of each server, so Stef can switch between them in case one needs to be serviced. That happened yesterday and today with the server that "distributes the ratings" (metaserver). They have your rating from the update (UTC midnight) and the games you played today, so they can calculate your current rating.

Now, if a server get's switched, the new one still gets your rating from the update from the database, but they don't get told the games you played today before that time. They are still saved, but the "shortcut" to send them to the metaserver doesn't work anymore, becase they got sent to the "old" metaserver that is now offline.

That means to the new metaserver it looked like you didn't play any games today, which is exactly what you saw.

That bug will need to be fixed, of course. But it seems to explain what happened.

ben latraverse

Hi,

Is it normal, I think the rating is not updating after each game ?

Thanks

Ingix

Yes, there was a problem this (Eurpean) morning. Stef says he fixed it a few minutes ago, so it should work now (probably after the next rated game you play).

Stevenonego

That is impressive

ben latraverse

Hi,

In the past, when a player didn't play a game during one day, his rating was going down slightly, like maybe 0.05 by day.

But since the new version is in place with the rating update after each game, it's like if the rating is going down slightly even if I play a lot of games during one day.

For me in example, I'm playing between 5 and 20 games by day, and when I come back the day after, I always lost between 0.05 and 0.08 of rating, like if I didn't play a game the day before.

Is it because with the new feature, the server doesn't know that I played a game or more during last day ?

I know, it's not a big thing, but it's not very funny to lost always 0.05 by day.

Thanks.