Rating not updating?

Previous topic - Next topic

BazookaJoe

I played a bunch of rated games but on the leaderboard it still shows my games played at a constant 15 and my level never changes.  Any idea what causes this?  Thanks

Ingix

1) The leaderboard is only updated once a day, starting at 0:00 UTC.
2) Due to the current performance problems, Stef thought about not doing the update for a 1 or 2 days. I'm not sure if he actually did that, but it might explain your ratings not updating even if you played yesterday (based on UTC time).

From your time of posting the update (if it ran) might have actually just started, so now you might have your results counted.

JohannRibert

It seems the problem still persists. My score is frozen despite playing a few games for at least 2 days. Is there some new information on this topic?

Best regards,
JR

Ingix

The ratings haven't been updated since the last time I posted. I'll ask Stef if he has an ETA for the calculations coming back.

jacobpb

Hello.

I am wondering about the updating as well.  I just played a bunch of games and it's 00:40 UTC right now and there has been no update.  Thanks for any news on this!

Quote from: Ingix on 30 March 2020, 08:14:59 AM
1) The leaderboard is only updated once a day, starting at 0:00 UTC.
2) Due to the current performance problems, Stef thought about not doing the update for a 1 or 2 days. I'm not sure if he actually did that, but it might explain your ratings not updating even if you played yesterday (based on UTC time).

From your time of posting the update (if it ran) might have actually just started, so now you might have your results counted.

Ingix

The ratings update process has not be run since 6-7 days. At the time of the prvious posting, it was assumed that would be fixed soon, but it hasn't, as other problems have crept up (other reasons for lag in-game, people not being able to login, etc.).

It's still unsure when the next ratings update runs as of now.

jacobpb

Great, thank you for the update.

Gold Subscrptn Chick

@Ingix Thank you for the explanations. Being in IT myself, I'm slightly worried about the massive load to the system to update a couple of weeks worth (if not more) of game logs, when 1 day's game log was already causing such slowness supposedly. And I would definitely not be happy if these couple of weeks' game logs are NOT uploaded...

HennesIX

@Gold

That's what I thought.

But... I guess (and ofc I'm only guessing) the problem is a too complex calculation with no optimization (which wasn't necessary before the world wide lockdown)

So I'm pretty optimistic with some optimization or a changed calculation method the ratings will be back.

Gold Subscrptn Chick

Quote from: HennesIX on 12 April 2020, 11:24:42 AM
@Gold

That's what I thought.

But... I guess (and ofc I'm only guessing) the problem is a too complex calculation with no optimization (which wasn't necessary before the world wide lockdown)

So I'm pretty optimistic with some optimization or a changed calculation method the ratings will be back.

+1

dane

I could be wrong, but I think the calculation of ratings isn't simply a case of adding in the new games.  I think the calculation has to start from the very beginning every time, which would certainly explain why it's a major overhead.  It's been stated that resigning against someone who is deliberately playing very slowly will have no effect on one's rating once that player is banned and their games expunged from the database.  That can surely only be true if the calculation of ratings is done ab initio every time.

HennesIX

According to the PDF file one step of the calculation is an iterative method. This might be time consuming.
It is not rocket science and for a CPU this should be not too challengeing. I mean I don't expect billions of ppl playing dominion on this platform ;)

But at the end we are all just guessing. Let's hope for the leaderboard to be updated very soon.

markus

Yes, the ratings were always updated from day 1. So it became more over time but adding e.g. one month now would not be different from having it run each day for the past month.

Gold Subscrptn Chick

I believe it is NOT the same running the last several weeks' worth as a batch at once vs. having it run everyday.

Your previous score factors into the rating change. So running it once as a batch you're making one update using your previous score, whereas having it run everyday your previous score changes every time.

So, if we run the update tonight, your score after the batch update would be different than it would be if updates were run every night previous to tonight. Thee difference might not be much, but it'll be different.

LordGek

Color me confused, so are NO rankings updates happening currently or are they just processed in big batches at the end of the day?